It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board

• Muscle pain & fatigue, biospy shows atrophy but I don't feel it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
    ROBCHAD
    (male)

ROBCHAD HB User
    Muscle pain & fatigue, biospy shows atrophy but I don't feel it

I've had fibromyalgia like pain for 8+ years, getting progressively worse over the last two years. I still function normally but have chronic pain (especially with any sort of physical activity) and fatigue. (no fibro trigger points)

I recently had a muscle biopsy & talked briefly with my neurologist who indicated that the biopsy showed atrophying (small angular fibers) due to a nerve problem, not a muscle disease.

My main problem is all over muscle pain (hands, feet, arms, legs, trunk, back neck, etc) and fatigue. I don't have any loss of sensory function, numbness, tingling, twitching etc. On one clinical exam my neurologist seemed to think my neck was a little weak.. he had told me to stiffen my neck and resist his hands as he pushed down on my neck & he said he shouldn't be able to move my head as easily as he was able to. I do have low grade tension headaches & neck pain absolutely all the time.

It hadn't occured to me as I had been doing research over the past few years that my muscles might be atrophying, so I'm not quite sure what the likely possibilities are or what questions to ask my neurologist.

Any comments/suggestions/insights would be appreciated, especially as it related to questions I should ask my neurologist when I see him for another EMG test next week.

Thanks!

-Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
    amandah73
    (female)

amandah73 HB User
    Re: Muscle pain & fatigue, biospy shows atrophy but I don't feel it

Hi Rob

I noticed u had a post on here from june relating to dizzyness. Did u find out what was causing that problem? I just ask as alot of nerve problems have dizzyness as a symptom and wondered whether it could be related. Have u mentioned it to your neurologist?
    let us know how you get on

Amanda

Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
    ROBCHAD
    (male)

ROBCHAD HB User

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for asking about my dizzyness. I don't think it is related. It resolved completely on it's own after about 3 weeks. I think it was vestibular neuritis, as it wasn't triggered by any particular position. I was actually seen by my neurologist at the time & he didn't think it was related. I hadn't had any dizzynessbefore then or since then, whereas the muscle pain has been slowly progressing now for years, getting much worse in the past two years.

Thanks!

-Rob

Last edited by ROBCHAD; 01-23-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
    I am here
    (female)

I am here HB User

ROBCHAD,
    What has your diagnosis been now?
    How are you doing?
    I hope well?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
    ROBCHAD
    (male)

ROBCHAD HB User

No diagnosis. Really no additional info yet. I'm going to see a different neurologist this month & I have a referral to another hospital in April. I had Spinal MRI just recently that was normal - repeat recent EMG was slightly abnormal, NCV was normal, muscle biopsy showed dennervation/renervation, large fiber type grouping, polygonal fibers & atrophy. My main problem continues to be pain all over, fatigue in my legs, and overall fatigue.

I feel like the rate of increase of pain & especially fatigue in my legs is going to leave me unable to walk even short distances without really wiping myself out soon.

Will post back when I get more info. If anyone has any ideas in terms of questions I should ask my neurologist or tests I should look into, I'd appreciate any info.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
    ROBCHAD
    (male)

ROBCHAD HB User

Update - I met with a different Neurologist & he reviewed my muscle biopsy results with pathology and came to a different conclusion - that my muscles had not & were not atrophying.

He said my muscle pain (possibly caused at least in part by stiffness) & muscle weakness along with brisk reflexes & clonus may be due to a motor neuron disease but because of lack of atrophy, if it were a motor neuron disease he might suspect Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS), as opposed to ALS. If I understood him correctly, he is ruling out ALS due to lack of muscle atrophy.

He ordered neck MRI to check for compressed nerves & a brain MRI while we were at it. He also ordered a spinal tap at the recommendation of another neurologist who had reviewed my records.

PLS seems extraordinarly rare from what I understand. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone reading this has received a PLS diagnosis. It also seems to usually, but not always, affect people 50+ years old (I'm in my mid 30s).

So I'm hoping for a compressed nerve, but PLS doesn't sound too terrible compared to some other afflictions.

If anyone has any thoughts on other possibilities I should pursue, questions I should ask neurologists, etc. or experiences with PLS, I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
    Rebecca71
    (female)

Rebecca71 HB User

Hi Robchad, my dad has PLS and he was dx in his late 50's. He was a hard working woodsman and was very active in hunting, fishing and four wheeling and now sits home most of the time. I don't want to be negative but this is a hard disease to deal with if you are an active person.

He has progressive gotten worse over the years and now uses a walker and a cane, along with my Mom's help. He is very independent so he doesn't like depending on others for help.

He just recently had surgery to have a Baclofen pump placed in his stomach. This way the Baclofen can be administered directly to his spine to help with the muscle spasms in his legs. He is still getting used to the pump and has had to travel 4 hrs a day once a week to the hospital for adjustments to get the dosage correct.

I hope you don't get dx with PLS but if you do, keep a positive attitude!

rebecca

Closed Thread