It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board

• Painful muscle cramping and tightness.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
    Mara

Post Painful muscle cramping and tightness.

What do you do to relieve painful muscle cramping/spasm? I get cramp/spasms in the neck/jaw and legs but recently for the last couple of weeks my right outer foot muscle has been tight and hurting-& makes it difficult to walk (I have been favoring it). I have used moist heating pad and massage seems to help relieve pain temporarily but when I start to walk on it, it keeps cramping.

I've used different therapies but there does not seem to be a fix. Heat, ice, mag/cal, quinine water, mild stretching, splints, wraps you name it. I can't walk around with the wraps. Any suggestions? It is almost silly at this point. Yesterday went to store with a wrapped wrist. I wanted to do both but did not want any attention from this. The wraps seem to help (?). This was the first time I did that (wrap the wrist).

I am having a difficult time trying to understand why the wraps help. Why I seem to "need" them. The idea of walking around with wraps seems odd. Has anyone gone through anything like this?

I also noticed after removing the wrap (I kept it on overnight) the swelling was gone. After the area was unwrapped for hours the puffiness/swelling returned.
    Any ideas folks? I also use a soft cervical collar when the neck spasms and hand splints for the wrist/arm/hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
    Mara

Nobody?

Old 10-17-2003, 12:20 AM   #3
    Fran

Fran HB User
    Hi: I have the muscle cramps in my left leg and instep and am interested in the wraps you are talking about. My cramps are just at night and that might be my solution. Fran

Old 10-17-2003, 05:53 AM   #4
    Puzzled
    Inactive

Puzzled HB User
    Have you tried muscle relaxants from the doctor? Like Flexeral? A lot of people have good luck with that. It sounds like you have tried all the natural remedies people have heard of which is probably why you are getting no response.

Old 10-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
    shirbarrdm

shirbarrdm HB User
    Try taking some magnesium:'

This trace mineral can change your life.

1. Magnesium is a catalyst in enzyme activity! Especially those enzymes involved in energy production.
    2. Magnesium also assists in calcium and potassium uptake. That means if you're taking calcium without magnesium You're not absorbing it!
    3. A deficiency of magnesium interferes with the transmission of nerve impulses, causing irritability and nervousness. So if you have muscle twitches at night - you might be lacking in magnesium.
    4. Magnesium is necessary to prevent the calcification of soft tissue.
    5. Magnesium protects the arterial linings from stress caused by sudden blood pressure changes.
    6. It plays a role in the formation of bone, and carbohydrate, and mineral metabolism.
    7. When combined with B6, magnesium helps to reduce and dissolve calcium phosphate kidney stones and may prevent calcium-oxalate kidney stones.
    8 . Research has shown that magnesium may help prevent cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and certain forms of cancer. As well as reducing cholesterol levels.
    9. It is also effective in preventing premature labor and convulsions in pregnant women.
    10. Studies have shown that taking magnesium during pregnancy has a dramatic effect in reducing birth defects.
    11. A study conducted by the Journal of the American Medical Assoc. reported 1 70% lower incidence of mental Retardation in the children of mothers who had taken Magnesium supplements during pregnancy. And the Incidence of cerebral palsy was 90% lower.
    12. Magnesium aids in maintaining the body's proper Ph balance.
    13. Magnesium has also proven beneficial in eliminating numerous PMS symptoms.
    14. Magnesium deficiency can also be synonymous with diabetes.
    15. Magnesium deficiency may be the root cause of cardiovascular disease according to Dr. Balch!

SYMPTOMS OF MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCIES

Insomnia

Irritability

Poor digestion

Rapid heartbeat

Seizures

Tantrums

Cardiac arrhythmia

Hypertension

Sudden cardiac arrest

Asthma

Chronic fatigue
    Chronic pain syndrome

Depression

Insomnia

Irritable bowel syndrome

Pulmonary disorders

Kidney stones

Dizziness

PMS symptoms

Muscle weakness

Twitching

Schizophrenia

Old 11-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
    cheng crickmore

cheng crickmore HB User
    Post Re: Painful muscle cramping and tightness.

hi my name is cheng
    I have my tightness, cramping for a long time, since 96'
    I am going to doctors, finally we found one doctor in Dayton that will help me .
    I have medicine for it, but, I still have it and it will take time to get well.
    I used to I can't move and I was out of work for 6 months.
    Now, I barely going back to full-time as I was before.
    I am grateful I have hope their is something to do something for it.
    I lost hope faith for a while, I have my family and friends to make me strong.
    I am on the right side of the road.
    I am happy and nothing will make me feel sad again, of course I will have one.
    when I am active not sleep, but , it used to I can't sleep well, not now I don't have them anymore.
    just when I am active, moving.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:43 AM   #7
    cheng crickmore

cheng crickmore HB User
    Smile Re: Painful muscle cramping and tightness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran
    Hi: I have the muscle cramps in my left leg and instep and am interested in the wraps you are talking about. My cramps are just at night and that might be my solution. Fran
    hi Fran:
    I have cramps when I am active, tightness becomes a big one.
    I also have it on my left leg too.
    I had this for a while I don't like, I still have hope faith now, then before, it was terrible,awful,now it is getting better, not over yet, the doctor I have now it is smart then the others I went to in the past.
    I am grateful for that.
    I use hot pad too or hot bath with my bubble soap.
    cheng
    you are not alone on this, their is others too.
    you have friend .

Closed Thread