It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board

• Muscle Twitching... side effect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
    dmarie725
    Inactive
    (female)

dmarie725 HB User
    Exclamation Muscle Twitching... side effect?

Hello...For the past month I've been experiencing random muscle twitching throughout my entire body. It's on and off throughout the day, in all different areas of my body, no other symptoms. This started about a month after I started taking Zoloft (75 mg/day). Has anybody heard of this being a side effect? My prescribing psychiatrist said it could be a side effect of the Zoloft even though not a common one. I'm starting to get concerned and wondering if it could be something serious underlying, or if I should see a neurologist?

Any input would be great...thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
    Nik1321
    (female)

Nik1321 HB User
    Re: Muscle Twitching...side effect?

dmarie have you had your thyroid levels tested? I have been hypothyroid all my life and when my levels got wacky, my muscles started twitching all over my body but especially in my calf muscles. I liken it to twinkling Christmas lights-that's the best way to describe it. However, before I figured out it was my thyroid, I thought I had MS or ALS and I was terrified. Hopefully this helps.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
    dmarie725
    Inactive
    (female)

dmarie725 HB User

Hello...I actually had a thyroid function test at a regular checkup a few months ago and it was within normal range. Is it possible to have thyroid issues even with normal ranges? Did you have any other weird symptoms that went along with your thyroid?

Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
    Nik1321
    (female)

Nik1321 HB User
    Re: Muscle Twitching... side effect?

Yes you can have symptoms generated by your thyroid even when levels are within "normal" range. When I was having symptoms, my levels were within normal range but they were up near a 4 so my doctor wanted to bring me back down toward the 1-2 range to see if it helped. I had recently switched to a new doctor at that point because I was having a hard time convincing my two previous doctors that something wasn't right with my thyroid because my levels kept coming back within normal range.
    My symptoms were weight gain-it seemed like 1-2 pounds per week, anxiety and panic, feeling "off", muscle aches especially near and in my joints, muscle twitching and spasms/jerking, sometimes it felt like I had an electric shock feeling in my spine...all these symptoms made me think I had a neurological disorder. I was convinced I had MS.
    Since tweaking my medication, I feel about 85% better. For the most part the muscle aching and twitching is gone although sometimes I get muscle jerking in the back of my neck/head region....which worries me still. My weight gain has stopped and I am able to stay at a healthy weight. I don't think my thyroid is completely balanced yet but I definately have improved.
    Another thing you can look into is benign fascilation syndrome. Docs don't understand why people develop this condition but it basically consists of muscle weakness, pain and twitching but is seemingly harmless.
    I would suggest asking your doc to go over your lab results once more and see where in the range your levels fall. Also, if the doc only tested your TSH levels, it may not be enough information to properly diagnose you especially if you have something like Grave's going on.
    Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
    dmarie725
    Inactive
    (female)

dmarie725 HB User

Nik1321...thanks for your reply. I hope you don't mind I have a few more questions. A few months ago I went to my Gastroenterologist for a really strange symptom of sudden increased belching (a lot). He ran blood (thyroid test and a full panel) which all came back normal. We also did an endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound...all came back totally normal. He really feels my issue was/is stress & anxiety, though I don't completely agree. I asked once "so if it wasn't anxiety, what would you look at" and he mentioned something about looking at the thryoid. Then when you mention muscle twitching being related to thyroid (since I'm now having that)...I'm starting to wonder if this might be an issue for me.

I just checked my lab results from 2 months ago. My TSH levels are 1.077 (it says range is 0.358-3.74)...so it looks as though I fall within the normal range. Other levels were not tested though. I know you aren't a doctor, but since you have experience...what do you think? I don't have any other symptoms really of thyroid problems, and actually have more of an issue where it's very difficult for me to gain weight (I'm 5'4" 110 lbs and I feel that no matter what I eat I cannot gain any weight).

I'm wondering if there are other thyroid levels I need to have tested, and also wondering if you have ever heard of frequent burping being related to a thyroid issue. I know it sounds weird...but I'm really desperate to find out what's going on.

If you have any input, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
    dmarie725
    Inactive
    (female)

dmarie725 HB User

Nik1321...thanks for your reply. I hope you don't mind I have a few more questions. A few months ago I went to my Gastroenterologist for a really strange symptom of sudden increased belching (a lot). He ran blood (thyroid test and a full panel) which all came back normal. We also did an endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound...all came back totally normal. He really feels my issue was/is stress & anxiety, though I don't completely agree. I asked once "so if it wasn't anxiety, what would you look at" and he mentioned something about looking at the thryoid. Then when you mention muscle twitching being related to thyroid (since I'm now having that)...I'm starting to wonder if this might be an issue for me.

I just checked my lab results from 2 months ago. My TSH levels are 1.077 (it says range is 0.358-3.74)...so it looks as though I fall within the normal range. Other levels were not tested though. I know you aren't a doctor, but since you have experience...what do you think? I don't have any other symptoms really of thyroid problems, and actually have more of an issue where it's very difficult for me to gain weight (I'm 5'4" 110 lbs and I feel that no matter what I eat I cannot gain any weight).

I'm wondering if there are other thyroid levels I need to have tested, and also wondering if you have ever heard of frequent burping being related to a thyroid issue. I know it sounds weird...but I'm really desperate to find out what's going on.

If you have any input, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much

Old 11-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
    Nik1321
    (female)

Nik1321 HB User

I have not experienced increased belching as a symptom for myself or heard of it but that doesn't mean anything. You are actually closer to the hyperthyroid side but definately have normal and what seems to be safe lab results. You can have tests to make sure that you do not have antibodies in your thyroid which would mean that your immune system is attacking the gland which is called Hashimoto's thyroiditis which causes hypothyroidism or Grave's which causes hyperthyroidism. Your doctor really needs to test your TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 levels but most doctors only test TSH and T4 levels. Doctors usually do not test T3 levels because T3 is converted into T4 and Docs usually think that if T4 levels are ok, then T3 levels must be ok too-which I have read is not the case. Your body could still need more T3 than it is producing on its own for symptoms to subside. Also, most thyroid replacement hormone medications (synthroid) are comprised of T4 only but there are medications that are T3 based only and sometimes individuals only need T3 and not T4 or possibly need both to feel their best.
    This is why I think you need to reassess with your doc and see exactly what tests were done.
    I do know that anxiety can cause muscle twitching as well but I find it hard to believe that it would last for months on end especially if your anxiety comes and goes. I thought for a while my symptoms were caused by anxiety as well but actually my anxiety and everything else were caused by my thyroid imbalance. Also, being hyperthyroid can cause people to lose or not be able to gain weight because it speeds up a person's metabolism.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
    JKS4
    (female)

JKS4 HB User

It could be anything. However, I am also on zoloft 75 mg and also have the twitches! Not nearly as often as when I started zoloft but still occasionally! It is def a side effect. Hope that helped!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
    sunshine88
    (female)

sunshine88 HB User

Hello,

Just wanted to share with you guys my experience. My calfs have been twitching for months. I started drinking Whey protein mixed with skim milk in the morning and I have noticed a decrease in the twitching. You may want to give it a try.. It's healthy and harmless.

Just a thought...

But it could be a side affect and should subside in time if it is indeed a side affect.

Closed Thread