It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board

• Muscle wasting all over the body.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
    Gregorsan
    (male)

Gregorsan HB User
    Muscle wasting all over the body.

Hi guys. im new here. Excuse my bad English and spelling, hope this won't bother you much. Writing is somewhat painful for me, so I will try to keep it simple.

I am 26, male. As for my problems... I don't even know where to begin. Let's say it all started with gradually increasing back pain last summer. It was caused by hard physical labour (moving company) abroad plus bad furniture that I had to use where I stayed (bed, chair, pillows etc.). I have bad posture (deep lower lordosis) and always experienced some degree of low back pain after prolonged standing or walking, so I wasn't too concerned when It started hurting me after work. It never was really painful, just unpleasant. After a while I noticed that this pain would go upwards toward my head, making my spinae erector muscles really hard and stiff - but still not that painful unless I sat in my chair that was not so comfortable. I knew this was not good, but I had to work only one month more (the job itself was not painful at all), so I thought "not a big deal, I will get better home". When I got home it did seem to get better with time, my muscles loosened up a bit, the pain was decreasing.

But here is where this all gets weird and seemingly unexplainable. Mind you, I had moderate pain and stiffness only in those two long muscles that run along spine. I didnt have any nerve pain, no accute fits of spasm. Now, as the pain subsided, it began to wonder towards my hips (muscles at the side of my abdomen hurt for two days), then ribs, then I had some pain behind scapula, my shoulder hurt a bit. But every place the pain went to, it seemed lesser and lesser. I dont like doctors after being misdiagnosed on many occasions, so I didnt see one that far. I though that this is natural, that muscles re-adjust somehow. What I didnt want to aknowledge up to that point, is that every spot the pain went to - left muscle weakness. It just seemed too weird to accept and I decided not to bother. Pain was going away - thats all I cared about. I was working out the weaker spots and it all looked as if getting back in track, untill one day I woke up with really stiff neck (not painful). I freaked out and made an appointment to get an mri of my spine. In the meantime, just like the other muscles, my neck got really thin, all those tense muscles that I got just disappeared overnight. Not only those - ALL the muscles in my back were much much smaller. The mri of my spine showed no significant changes, nothing that could cause those symptoms. Every doctor I saw told me to either get a mri of my little brain or get some PT. Since im my mind all of this was mechanically inflicted, I figured they won't find anything in the brain and I went with physiotherapy. The guy told me I have lower crossed syndrome and made me stretch a ton. Then we continued to strenghtening exercises. But just like before, after some improvement, my muscles get weaker no matter how hard I train. Even if I perform better at the training, I have increasing problems with dailly tasks. Everything just seems getting heavier for me, I can feel the weight of my own body, and its not nice.

This all leads me conclussion that I must indeed have some musco-sceletal or autoimmune disease. It just doesn't make sense. Why would my hands and calfs get so weak after some trauma to a completely distant muscle? I also developed slight sight loss and mild tinnitus. It is only now that I am undergoing EMG and blood test, because I was living in such a denial that something very wrong could have happened. I know It was stupid not to take care of your own back, but then again... the punishment just seems so out of proportions.

If anyone could shed some light on this one, I would be very thankful. I am suspecting spinal musclar atrophy with adult onset, but what do I know... It really looks like the end for me...

thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Muscle wasting all over the body.

It does sound like a possible neuro-muscular or autoimmune disease, so I think you are on the right track of investigation. Depending on your initial set of test results, I would want to see a rheumatologist to rule out myositis (inflammation of muscles that causes pain, weakness and atrophy). The initial screening test is a CK muscle enzyme, which is elevated in myositis. The neurologist will be the other important diagnostician, so with that combination, you should get some answers soon. There are many disorders that can cause these symptoms, so getting a specific answer will take time and patience. Hopefully, it will be something for which good treatment is available and you will get better. Your family history is an important piece of the puzzle too, so be sure to relay any family history that may help. Let us know how this goes and how you are doing with tests. Also be sure you get endocrine tests such as thyroid, testosterone and blood sugar to rule out endocrine overlay problems.

Last edited by ladybud; 02-16-2015 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added

Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
    Gregorsan
    (male)

Gregorsan HB User

Thanks for your help. I just got back the results for cpk and they are fine, as a matter fact, quite low - 79. But what does that mean? does it mean I didn't lose much muscles over the last few days? Cause I know this to be true. I also know, that I won't regain the lost muscles, no matter how hard I try. Im gonna have EMG test now and probably biopsy as well. I do get tingling and numbness at night, so maybe EMG will show something.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
    David63
    Inactive
    (male)

David63 HB User

CPK is the bio-marker for necrotic cell death

From your symptoms I'd say your cells are dying through a process called apoptosis.
    the bio-marker for that is cytochrome-c

Apoptosis requires energy and that is the reason for the fatigue and exercise intolerance.

Start looking at mitochondrial disorders, you might even join a mito group and follow the advice I gave in the thread "weakness of muscles & pinpricks" on trying low dose Benadryl.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 AM   #5
    Gregorsan
    (male)

Gregorsan HB User

thanks for your insight, David. Very interesting. I researched apoptosis and it says it is controlled and programed cell death. When you say "apoptosis", do you mean excessive and pathological apoptosis?

Also, I have done EMG test in the meantime and it came back clear nerve-wise and muscle-wise, but I don't know if that rules out mitochondrial muscle disease. Actually if some could tell me what it does exclude (ALS? MS? Dystrophy?) I would be very thankful.

I am at my wits end trying to understand my problem. Was it me injuring my body or was there something wrong with in the first place? I'm not a doctor, but I know that losing muscles symmetrically all over body and not being able to regain them is not a typical result of any injury. And the pain was never above 2 or 3 on a 1-10 scale... Oh, well.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
    David63
    Inactive
    (male)

David63 HB User

Yes, I mean excessive or premature apoptosis.

and no a normal emg does not rule out mito or, really, any of the others you mention...because they are all manifestations of mito. Do a search on als and mitochondrial dysfunction or MS and mitochondrial dysfunction and about a third of the muscular dystrophies are mito.

Do searches on the following:

mitoaction
    UDMF
    "a modern approach to mitochondrial medicine"

While you are learning you can try a treatment that inhibits cell death. I'm not sure where you are from but, in the US you can get an antihistamine called Benadryl (diphenhydramine) over the counter. Low dose Benadryl inhibits cell death!

The dose range is 1 mg per 18 (+ or - 4.5) kg of body weight every three hours during the day and have a dose or two ready if you waken at night. As you improve you will be able to reduce the number of doses. Most get down to 4 doses per day at meal and bed times.

To get doses within that range most can use a quarter of a tablet (either adult or children's) or by using a measured amount of the children's liquid.

I know it's over the counter in Germany and I know a guy in Sweden, where it is by prescription only, he gets his on ebay and has not had any problems with customs.

IF you experience increasing fatigue, stop the treatment, and have your doctor look for a sodium channel channelopathy. This is fairly rare but there are other cell death inhibitors, though none as effective as Benadryl, that you might try. Low dose naltrexone is one that is well documented on the net.

David

Last edited by David63; 03-17-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: change lbs to kg

Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
    Gregorsan
    (male)

Gregorsan HB User

I am very intrigued with what you say. I assume antihistamines won't do much damage even if the underlying cause of my problems is not the muscles themselves. So thanks!

Btw: do have similar problems yourself? How much success have you seen with this method? and the poeple you talk about.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I am also finding this thread quite interesting, as I have systemic lupus which involves accelerated cell apoptosis, releasing DNA into the blood and stimulating auto-antibodies. Gregorsan, please update us with results if you decide to try this. I have myositis secondary to lupus with weakness and some atrophy affecting me adversely in strength and ability to do certain position changes (get off floor, up from chair). Something this simple and benign as a treatment would be a Godsend. I hope it works for you!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:20 AM   #9
    Gregorsan
    (male)

Gregorsan HB User

Ok, Ladybud. I'll let you know, but I can't start the Benardyl thing rigth now as It needs prescribtion where I live.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
    Gregorsan
    (male)

Gregorsan HB User

Thank you, David, but I think I can handle this on my own. You are great willing to help me out though.

Another thing is that I'm just realizing that what I am going through is probably not a traceable disease. I did some research and I think that I am just unlucky that my body reacted the way it did... I am just one of those unexplainable cases. For some reason this muscle overload made my central nervous system just go crazy. Why my brain decided to destroy those muscles? I don't now. I won't stop persuing my health but it really makes me feel helpless as I get worse by day. Stretching, massage, strenghtening... Nothing helps. I know most of you suffer much worse then I do, but the transition from healthy to unwell and not understanding what it is is just driving me crazy. Im not able to work and have no-one to support me -

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
    David63
    Inactive
    (male)

David63 HB User

I went through years of despair because no one could tell me what was wrong. I had to quit work and doctors were no help...just the opposite in fact.

The problem is the medical field is ignorant. Most of these undiagnosable (to them) disorders stem from mitochondrial dysfunctions and there is little knowledge of these and almost no common knowledge so it is up to you to do the research.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    muscle atrophy, muscle wasting