It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Small fiber neuropathy symptoms

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
    Friedeggs
    (female)

Friedeggs HB User
    Red face Small fiber neuropathy symptoms

I have been diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy via a skin biopsy in ankle and thigh. Was wondering if anyone had been diagnosed with this and what the symptoms are.

I also had bunion surgery 3 years ago and have had severe pain since the surgery. Am trying to figure out which of my symptoms are from the surgery and which from the small fiber neuropathy.

I have severe, debilitating, constant, pins and needles pain in my left foot. Oftentimes my forefoot will spasm and contract to one side continuously for hours. Sometimes pain will radiate to my legs and also have strange sensation in my arms and hands. Pain is severe while walking and even worse at rest.

Hope someone can help me understand the symptoms of small fiber neuropathy. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
    Dustoff
    (male)

Dustoff HB User
    Re: Small fiber neuropathy symptoms

I was diagnosed 6 years ago with QSART test at the Cleveland Clinic. I have pain in both legs below the knees and in the hands. I also got fatigue and temperature issues. If you can, you should exercise if at all possible. I am being treated this year with HGH, but it is really difficult to get a Dr to treat you with HGH. I am also on some b pretty potent pain killers, including Fentynal patches. I wouldn't be able to work without these treatments. It got better after the first year, but after a couple more years got really bad again. Stay on top of sleeping, eating right and exercising.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
    Friedeggs
    (female)

Friedeggs HB User
    Re: Small fiber neuropathy symptoms

Thank you so much for your response, Dustoff. I am sorry to hear about your struggles with pain and hope the new treatments provide some relief.

It means a great deal to me to understand your firsthand experience. It can be so frightening and isolating sometimes to have these strange painful sensations.

I have been really good about eating well. Sleeping can be a challenge with the pain. Exercise is tough too with my post surgery structural issues, but I have been trying to swim a couple of times a week and do the exercise bike. I feel more healthy when I do exercise, but it doesn't reduce the pain, sometimes pain can even be a little worse. Does this happen to you?

I am taking 30mg of Baclofen and 1800 of Gabapentin, titrating up to 2700, for 2 months and have not felt any pain relief. Have tried other meds too (Lyrica, NSAIDS, tricyclic antidepressants), but none have helped to reduce the pain. Tried TENS unit and acupuncture, no relief.

You mentioned that you felt some relief after the first year. Can you share what was it that you tried that helped, even temporarily?

Also, would you say that your pain includes burning, tingling, pins and needles? Do your feet spasm?

Thanks so much for your help!

Reply Reply

Tags
    small fiber neuropathy