It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

NON Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
58model
(male)

58model HB User
NON Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Hi all, just wondering if there are others out there diagnosed with non diabetic peripheral neuropathy? I have suffered with numbness, tingling & pain in both feet for about 8 years. In the past 6 months these same symptoms have begun to appear in the fingers of both hands.
I have been treated for this with Endep at night for a few years now, first at 10mg about 1 year ago my Neurologist increased to 50mg. She also started me on Cymbalta 60 at the same time taken in the morning. A month ago I mentioned to her that I wasn't sure the Cymbalta was having much effect? Consequently, she reduced the Cymbalta to 30mg and added Endep 25 taken early evening with Endep 50 at bedtime.
Endep at this dose is fantastic at getting me a full nights sleep, (feet pain used to keep me awake most nights).
The Cymbalta reduced by half had the almost immediate effect of a marked increase in discomfort in my feet in the evening, until the Endep kicks in.
If anyone else is battling similar issues I'd love to hear how you are handling it and what treatments you are finding helpful.

Last edited by 58model; 04-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
timberleigh
(female)

timberleigh HB User
Re: NON Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Hi: I am having the same symptoms for years as well. It has gotten so bad I am home from work today. I have seen a bunch of doctors and it seems that I am at the same place I was at years ago. I am taking cymbalta 60 mg, lyrica 100mg, amitriplyne 50 mg and percocets as needed. I am so very frustrated myself. I have been told to go to John Hopkins. Mine started when I partial tear in my my ankle, the pain went from one foot to both, then they began to burn. please reply. thank you have a great day.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi. I have Multiple Sclerosis and also have non diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. I have the exact same symptoms you describe.

I have tried Lyrica, Gabapentin and other drugs, none of which work on me since mine is caused by MS and lesions in my brain. My brain neurons are shot, therefore my nerve conduction tests show all sorts of weird things going on.

Since none of the drugs work for me- I suffer on a daily basis. I have noticed that heat and humidity make things worse....a sudden onset of cold air (like walking in the grocery store freezer section in flip flops) brings it on...
I now wear insulated socks even in the summer to keep my feet a more regular temperature.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:46 AM   #4
lswote
(male)

lswote HB User

I have had idiopathic peripheral neuropathy since 1998. My feet were terrible for several years where standing, walking, bike riding all hurt but now it is my hands that bother me more. I used to take Gabapentin, but have been on Lyrica for about 10 years. I take a really high dose, 1200 mg, but even that isn't enough to make the pain go away and often I take 1500 mg. Non-diabetic neuropathy is hard to treat because if you can't determine the cause you are left just treating the symptoms and they don't respond to much.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
KtownKid
(male)

KtownKid HB User

I just have to post this in hoping to help
I suffered with "NON Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy" for 8 long years, was prescribed Gabapentin, Lyrica, etc... with not much help at all. It did help with sleeping at first, but the end result was numerous other new problems (Like loss of balance...ty-gaba) and still having trouble sleeping at night. Then a few months ago, due to dental work, i stopped using ice in my daily intake of tea, soda, water etc... I was using "Aluminum Ice Trays" thinking metal was safer then plastic. After a couple of weeks i noticed my now "normal non-stop every waking minute of pain" was a lot less! After thinking about it, the only thing i was doing different was "No Ice" so i made it point to not start again and did some reading on "Aluminum Poisoning" and as more time went by the better i felt. A few months have gone by and i now feel much better. I can feel my feet again, i can touch-rub my feet with no pain. It's hard for me to comprehend that i was poisoning myself for 8 years, but its looking more and more to be true. I really hope this message helps someone because i know first hand what this pain is all about and i refuse to believe it only happened to me! I got real lucky in this discovery, i was convinced i would have Peripheral Neuropathy the rest of my life. You owe it to yourself to take a look at not only what your consuming, but how your consuming it.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-19-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Bonzoso
(male)

Bonzoso HB User

Hi, I started with an idiopathic peripheral neuropathy about 2 years ago. I had a lot of pain and numbness and burning in my feet. Over about a month it progressed to my hands and arms, even into my face. I was very depressed as I was an active 60 yr old. I've been to 2 neurologists and they have not been able to find a root cause. I am taking 450 mg of Lyrica (300 mg in the morning and 150 mg at night) and 60 mg Cymbalta. I use 50 mg of Tramadol as a rescue med especially if I plan on being on my feet actively. This regimen has proven adequate for the majority of my pain. There are times when I get breakthroughs but for the most part it works.

Good Luck to you and hope this little bit of info helps.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-19-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Closed Thread