It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• neuropathy problems/issues

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
    nana3quinn
    (male)

nana3quinn HB User
    neuropathy problems/issues

My husband was diagnosed 5 years ago with peripheral neuropathy. He is not diabetic, but his sugar ranges from 5.5. to 5.8. which they say is high. No one in his family has neuropathy.

The problem I have is that doctors are not looking beyond his neuropathy when he experiences other symptoms. His neuropathy began in his feet, he has nerve damage, his toes always feel cold, and his legs feel tired.

One problem he developed a few years ago was his balance. I know neuropathy in your feet causes a balance problem. What concerns me is it has gotten serious and things he could do one year ago, he no longer can. One day he can't even leave the house because it is so bad. The next day we go out and do things because it isn't bad. I think this is odd because it isn't consistent. Why would it be intermittent when his feet feel the same as they did the day before. When he drives the car or sits, he never feels off balance. Also, he can feel my hands when I touch his feet or when anything drops on his feet. When he had an ingrown toe nail cut away, he felt it and it healed normally.

Another problem he developed is he can no longer bend over (to pick something up) or look up (towards the ceiling) with out getting completely and very noticeably off balance. His body is moving all around. Sometime, but not always, he becomes extremely nauseous and has to lie down. Yet the feeling in his feet have not changed. His condition is worsening by the month. However his legs/neuropathy hasn't changed.

Recently he began to have vision problems. Sometimes he sees 3D. It is like watching a 3D movie without glasses he explains. Other times things are just blurry. It is intermittent. He has seen an ophthalmologist and his vision is fine. He doesn't even need glasses.

Does anyone's neuropathy have these symptoms? The neurologist says that they are related to his neuropathy. I am concerned that his medical problems might not be related to neuropathy. Since he can't see a Neuro-Muscular Disorder physician until November 30th, perhaps someone can reassure me that this is all related to his neuropathy. That they are experiences these issues too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: neuropathy problems/issues

Dear nana3quinn,

His symptoms don't seem at all odd to me, because I do have a very similar experience. Besides the foot and leg neuropathy the one thing that bothered me the most was thinking I needed new glasses and even got tested by an ophthalmologist because the optometrist thought I might have cataracts. And yes I need stronger glasses as I had not gotten new glasses in years, but nothing else was wrong with my eyes, no disease or eyeball issue at all. The optomitrist tried hard but had to admit glasses would not correct my vision.

Imagine how strange it was to discover all of the list of symptoms could be from a vitamin B12 deficiency. Do a search on B12 deficiency on a site such as the Mayo clinic, a reputable resource that isn't just selling useless solutions. Stay away from those and do not buy B12 in pill form. Look at the list of symptoms of B12 deficiency.

Be aware that B12 is not absorbed through the digestive system though all kinds of companies sell B12 pills; it MUST be injected to be effective. You might need to take your husband to a naturopath doctor to get a trial prescription, as there is no genuinely reliable test that proves a deficiency or shows how much B12 one needs to have. In a similar way, the thyroid tests show something but only knowledgeable doctors know the tests don't prove how much thyroid hormone a specific person needs.

Your description of your husband's symptoms are almost word for word the same as mine. I thought my unusually increased pain and nerve issue was from a very long ago accident that crushed my leg, plus 'old age'. My blood sugar is often a little high because I am unable to run or do aerobics, etc. I can barely walk due to what that accident did to my legs. So I have lived with that many years and know that this issue is completely different.

It felt like I was going crazy, staggering around with no balance. The severe cramping and tingling and numbness was even disturbing my sleep, waking me up in pain.

Anyway to get to the point, my endo specializes in metabolism, so when I told him I have all or almost all of the long list of B12 deficiency symptoms, he immediately prescribed B12 to be administered by injection. I figured well, if I can dig a splinter out of my hand, I can give myself shots. and yep, it was quite weird at first, but I do it.

I buy the prescription B12 vials (and the shot syringes) at a local drug store, two weeks worth at a time. Once a week, I give myself 1000 mcg of vitamin B12. and because I am getting the severe symptoms again before a week is up, I will be asking my doc if I can try the shots five days apart. Within the first day of getting the shot of B12, my nerves settle right down and I feel energetic and as fine as I can with my leg injury problems. My vision clears up, too.

So this is obviously something you can look at. The only way to know if this is a problem he has is to get injections of B12, and those have to be prescribed. Few MDs know anything about metabolism or hormones or vitamins, so ask at pharmacies if there are any doctors that prescribe injectable B12 or natural thyroid. Those doctors that will prescribe are the doctor offices to which to give a call.

Please let me know how things are going.

Love,

Last edited by yayagirl; 07-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
    nana3quinn
    (male)

nana3quinn HB User
    Re: neuropathy problems/issues

My husband was checked 5 years ago for B12 and his level was 284. He was checked two months ago and the level was 500. I have no idea what it was during the past 5 years. Everything I've read since reading your post says you really can't overdose on B12. So we have scheduled a thorough blood workup. We also made an appointment with a local neurologist to ask about B12 injections. 1000 mcg has been suggested by several medical reports for people suffering from neurological issues. Thanks for your information, it is most appreciated.

Reply Reply