It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neuropathy from food?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
    bob449
    (female)

bob449 HB User
    Neuropathy from food?

I need help figuring out what is causing my peripheral neuropathy. I get 24 hours of itching and stabbing pains after eating many foods. The number of foods increase over time so I am now very limited. I have celiac disease but follow a gluten free diet and have had an endoscopy showing no damage. Food allergies have been ruled out. Anyone ever had this problem? The neuropathy comes on within a few minutes of eating the food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Neuropathy from food?

Welcome to the board. Your issues sound unusual! I'm sorry that I do not have any answers for you, but wanted to welcome you...and acknowledge your post.

The cause of some neuropathies cannot be pinned down and it is frustrating to all concerned. You mention "itching and stabbing pains" that come on after eating. Where specifically are they located? Are the symptoms always similar or do they vary? Are symptoms bilateral? Any additional information you can provide may be helpful!

Old 04-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Have you kept a food diary? Some foods that have salicylates could be an issue.

Since you are celiac and would limit specific grains....have you had all your b vitamins checked? Many B vitamins are in whole grains or grain products fortified with B vitamins, and a deficiency can cause peripheral nerve issues.

q

Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
    bob449
    (female)

bob449 HB User

I have the itching all over my body and the stabbing pains are intermittent and also all over the body. This all starts within 15 minutes of eating the offending food so it is easy for me to tell which foods cause it. The doctors say it is likely from leaky gut which somehow causes the nerves to activate. But, I have struggled to find out what is causing the leaky gut and find out if this is really the cause. I have seen several doctors from different specialties. Thought someone on the board might have had the same problem. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
    bob449
    (female)

bob449 HB User

I get the food reaction within 15 minutes of eating the food and it is gone in 24 hours. I have tried elimination diet. Also, did vitamin supplements. Doctors think it is leaky gut but not sure if this is correct and hoped someone might have my symptoms and would be able to provide some insight. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

bob449, I have similar symptoms.
    You seem to be having allergic reactions to some foods or combinations of food.
    I believe the names given for digestive disturbance like leaky gut are just words used to describe the result of not eating body building healthy food.

Some foods I never could tolerate well are what I now call 'manufactured fake food'. I am sensitive to 'processed' foods and some food combinations. Once in awhile I think I am tolerating it then I get flim in my throat, chest tightness, headache, my teeth feel on edge or I become nauseated. I chew some Rolaids or Tums but it doesn't always relieve the sick feeling, and at times the food cannot digest and has to be vomited, or there is other digestive distress.

From birth I was fed the then popular 'formula' and processed 'baby food' and had consistent pain, gas and digestive distress, which was labeled colic.

Later on we moved to a farm where we always had fresh milk, cream and other food including fresh or frozen meat, poultry, bacon, etc., home made cheese, cottage cheese, and home canned pickles & sauerkraut, all sorts of fresh, home canned or frozen fruit, juices, vegetables, home made ice cream from real cream and plain cane sugar, even home grown pop corn, honey from a bee hive and no additives besides fresh herbs, vinegar, plain salt or plain cane sugar. No fake foods and none of us had digestive problems whatsoever. Bones were strong, and we all were very healthy. There were no epidemics of colds or viruses, upset stomachs, just the regular chicken pox or measles that went around.

At that period of time until I was in my late twenties I had no 'processed' food and I had no digestive issues whatsoever, until in my 30's when I began eating 'fast' food and got used to quick, what I call 'non' food. My gut is still very sensitive to fake, pre-prepared food. It may taste good, but it simply makes me sick. My emotional state also has a direct effect on what I choose to eat and how food/substances affect me.

When I ignore my needs and eat what I call junk food I always pay for it. My husband who used to have an 'iron' stomach is now getting digestive distress for eating those 'foods', too. I try to combat our reckless choices with probiotics, enzymes, etc. You may have a good idea how well that works.

I think it all boils down to needing to eat real food, and cutting out the pre-prepared, 'time-saving', fast, fake food substitutes to which so many of us have become accustomed.

Just my take on the effects of what we eat these days. Call it leaky gut or whatever. I don't see how the gut can deal with what we call food nowadays. Mine can't.

Last edited by yayagirl; 04-08-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:32 AM   #7
    1Emma
    (female)

1Emma HB User

Try to keep your sodium intake low

Reply Reply