It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• recent overall pins and needles

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
    redjb7
    (female)

redjb7 HB User
    recent overall pins and needles

I recently had a return of parathesia bilaterally - started on chin then goes to any other place on body- arms - mouth, hands lets feet. Not sure what is causing it. Had it before years ago and occasionally on and off for a few days through the years. Had a very low d years ago - cured that and it did not stay around for long patches. However this started a week ago and has been more often - sometimes I don't feel it for several hours, then it will return and can even get a little painful - like needles. Seems to go away when I go to bed. Insisted on a b12 and d test - the b12 was low normal and the d also. My doc told me to take large doses of those - that he thinks that is still what it is. No other symptoms , but lately have had bad knee arthritis act up and have had some gel shots in the knee. Asked my neuro if that could be a factor but he did not think so. How have you dealt with this - as far as medication. This can really hurt. (In the past I have been tested for ms, etc. and they saw lesions but did not believe that I had it).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: recent overall pins and needles

Before taking large doses of B12 and D I recommend calling your pharmacist and ask if that sounds like a good idea.

When I called my pharmacist about taking large doses of such vitamins, I was told that it's not a good idea. Everyone is different so it doesn't hurt to be cautious. Some people need more B12 than usual if they are taking certain prescription drugs so be prepared to tell the pharmacist what drugs you're taking, if any.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
    redjb7
    (female)

redjb7 HB User

Thanks! I don't really take anything except a little ambien occassionally. So there is nothing to interact with.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redjb7 View Post
    Thanks! I don't really take anything except a little ambien occassionally. So there is nothing to interact with.
    I neglected to tell the whole story so what I said may have been misleading. When I talked to a pharmacist, I was told that a large dose of B12 could put other B vitamins out of balance. She didn't say why but later I reasoned that when your body tries to eliminate the excess B12, it could inadvertently start eliminating some of your other B vitamins. And she even referred to a study that was done that showed the result of putting other B vitamins out of balance.

I had read about it many years ago but didn't know if I should trust what I read, so I decided to ask my doctor about it. And my doctor said, "Oh, no, that's just a myth!" And that's when I decided to get a second opinion from a pharmacist. And she was actually able to come up with a recent study to prove her point. Will all pharmacists be aware of this? I don't know.

The actual daily amount of B12 that your body needs is very very small; the main obstacle is absorption. The daily requirement for a healthy adult is only 2.4 mcg. But most supplements start at 250 mcg. I use a couple drops of liquid B12 daily; one drop equals 40 mcg. This way I can decide how much I want to take.

It's complicated; that's why I recommend getting a second or even third opinion.

Vitamin D is a different story: Too much vitamin D can result in a high level of calcium in your blood and that can put the health of your arteries at risk. So, again, a second opinion might be a good idea. Healthy adults require 600 to 800 IU daily. 800 is for people age 70 or older. 600IU is for those 51 to 70. Some D supplements go by mcg and some go by IU. I go by the IU measure because I'm use to it.

Reply Reply