It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Describing the "un-scratch-able itch" of nerve flare

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-25-2022, 11:06 PM   #1
    Monolithsound
    (male)

Monolithsound HB User
    Describing the "un-scratch-able itch" of nerve flare

It begins with a slight "zap" in my hands. I automatically go to rub with my thumb over the spot and then after I recognize that I have done so, think something along the lines of, "uh oh, not again." Then before I know it, there is this absolutely mad as a hatter attempt to scratch this worst itch I have ever had, desperately trying to trace the origin. Somewhere up my arm? My shoulder? Certainly from the spine, but what to do to stop it? Tylenol is no help, Stretching has yet to affect the now pulsing deep itch in my hand. Today it is the right hand. And it is impossible to hide, this agonizing and relentless scratching and running my palm along any table's edge in mad fashion, some rough fabric such as an old hand towel. I use my left thumb too run along my hand from my wrist and if not doing so, the itch quickly rises up again almost celebrating in some torturous dance along my arm and settling in my hand.
    Usually when we have an itch, we scratch it and away in goes.
    My query is this, am I the only one whom would describe this as an un-scratch-able itch?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Describing the "un-scratch-able itch" of nerve flare

No, you're not...I have it as well as my husband. It's definitely nerve related, but could be different reasons why.

Have you seen your doctor and had a blood workup? Make sure you're checked for B and D vitamins. Do you have neck, shoulder or elbow issues?

You could try a cold compress above the area. A nerve conduction test could be ordered for you to find the origin of it. Accupuncture might also help.

q

Reply Reply