It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Ulnar Nerve Entrapment Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #1
    Miss Megara

Miss Megara HB User
    Ulnar Nerve Entrapment Question

I'm not too sure if I am posting this question in the right place; if not I apologize.

It might be best to give a little 'history' on my situation first:

I had a tumor in my baby finger eating away (thinning) the bone. I went for a surgery back on June 21/01- takes out the tumor and damaged bone from my finger, replaces it with good bone from my elbow.

Fast forward 6 months - the tumor grows back. January 17th 2002 – I go for the EXACT same surgery again…this time – the pain is unbearable; as my arm had yet to heal from the first one 6 months prior.

Almost 2 years have passed, and the pain is still present now in my whole arm from the elbow down. The surgeon suggested amputating it, but no guarantee that it would work. I finally took the advice of a friend of mine and tried acupuncture. Among many other things - the acupuncturist found 'ulnar nerve entrapment' as a result of damage done during the second surgery and has been now trying to correct this problem for the past month or so.

My question is; it is my understanding that ulnar nerve entrapment may require surgery. If the surgery is just to 'alleviate pain' - then I can live with it, as I am left handed; this is occurring in my left arm and I don't want to take any chances letting another surgeon in there to screw things up further.

However - I have heard that ulnar nerve entrapment can lead to loss of use of the hand. Is the surgery absolutely necessary to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts.
    Meg

Last edited by Miss Megara; 11-28-2003 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Re: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miss Megara
    I'm not too sure if I am posting this question in the right place; if not I apologize.

It might be best to give a little 'history' on my situation first:

I had a tumor in my baby finger eating away (thinning) the bone. I went for a surgery back on June 21/01- takes out the tumor and damaged bone from my finger, replaces it with good bone from my elbow.

Fast forward 6 months - the tumor grows back. January 17th 2002 – I go for the EXACT same surgery again…this time – the pain is unbearable; as my arm had yet to heal from the first one 6 months prior.

Almost 2 years have passed, and the pain is still present now in my whole arm from the elbow down. The surgeon suggested amputating it, but no guarantee that it would work. I finally took the advice of a friend of mine and tried acupuncture. Among many other things - the acupuncturist found 'ulnar nerve entrapment' as a result of damage done during the second surgery and has been now trying to correct this problem for the past month or so.

My question is; it is my understanding that ulnar nerve entrapment may require surgery. If the surgery is just to 'alleviate pain' - then I can live with it, as I am left handed; this is occurring in my left arm and I don't want to take any chances letting another surgeon in there to screw things up further.

However - I have heard that ulnar nerve entrapment can lead to loss of use of the hand. Is the surgery absolutely necessary to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts.
    Meg

Yes ulnar nerve entrapment can cause loss of hand muscle strenght. Ulnar nerve is what feeds your hand muscles. I had ulnar nerve surgery in May, I'm still doing pt and have hyper sensations in the fingers and wrist. Neither one is a pretty site but what are your options? I waited too long and now my hand has accelerated arthritis, trigger finger in the thumb and loss of strength, but getting better. It can take up to 2 yrs for complete recovery of the nerve. It's worse then before surgery but without it my hand would be even more useless. It takes a long time to get to that, mine was 6 yrs of not doing anything about it and typing on a puter 8 hrs a day for work. So yes to prevent further loss of strength surgery may be the only option or the lesser of 2 evils.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:26 AM   #3
    Miss Megara

Miss Megara HB User
    Re: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment Question

Nancy; I can't thank you enough for responding to my question.

I have been told by my acupuncturist that the muscles in my left hand are already small and it has been difficult for me to do things such as open jars; as I am left-hand dominant.

The pain now also persists in the general area of my thumb and pointer finger as well - and I have general loss of strength in the entire hand.

This has been going on as a result of a second bone graph surgery performed in January 2002. So it has been ongoing for close to 2 years now. I am seeing my family doctor tomorrow to book an appointment with a neurologist, as it took my acupuncturist (whom I just recently started seeing) to realize that it was a nerve problem all along.

So I won't know my options until I see the neurologist.

Closed Thread