It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• neurontin withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User
    neurontin withdrawal

My doctor was trying me on Neurontin for nerve pain. I'd only been on it (tapering slowly upward) a few weeks, and only 3 days at 1800mg/day when I suddenly felt overwhelmed with anxiety and fear. I also experienced a burning sensation in my mouth and throat - food started tasting like pepper. I immediately reduce my dosage and tapered completely off it - probably too quickly. I've been experiencing burning pain as mentioned above as well as lungs, intestinal tract, etc., anxiety, sleeplessness, weakness and sick to my stomache. Anyone else have problems like this? How long did it take to feel well again?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
    br1

br1 HB User
    Re: neurontin withdrawal

I had been put on Nurontin briefly for nerve pain from a disc problem & depression. I had severe anxiety & horrible feeling all over my body & mind after about 1 week. I was only on 400? mg & demanded to be taken off it.
    I later saw a news show about Neuronton and it wasn't a GOOD DRUG at all from what they said. People wanted to die on it but pharmacutical companies pushed the drug & doctors did too. I am glad I stopped it & will NEVER touch it again. Talk to your doctor and get other opinions too. I think the more input you can get is the best way to find help.
    I hope this helps!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindawainwright
    My doctor was trying me on Neurontin for nerve pain. I'd only been on it (tapering slowly upward) a few weeks, and only 3 days at 1800mg/day when I suddenly felt overwhelmed with anxiety and fear. I also experienced a burning sensation in my mouth and throat - food started tasting like pepper. I immediately reduce my dosage and tapered completely off it - probably too quickly. I've been experiencing burning pain as mentioned above as well as lungs, intestinal tract, etc., anxiety, sleeplessness, weakness and sick to my stomache. Anyone else have problems like this? How long did it take to feel well again?

Linda

Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
    navbears07

navbears07 HB User

I have a friend with diabetes and Neuropathy. It affects her feet to the point she can hardly walk. She was diagnosed in 2002. She is on two different pills, and two types of insulin for the diabetes. She takes Neurontin and Elavil for the Neuropathy. The doctor told her the Elavil works with the Neurontin. She since changed doctors and this doctor doubled her Neurontin to help the pain and burning in her feet. Some of the toes on both feet are already numb, she has no feeling in them at all. She ask him if she could return to work, her job requires she be on her feet at least 8 hours a day. She was told she could not go back to that type of work again. He did not put that in writing. He did write that she can only stand for one hour at a time, then she has to rest. Has anyone ever heard of this and what exactly can be done for Neuropathy?

Last edited by navbears07; 02-15-2004 at 10:52 PM.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

I've been taking 200 mg of Neurontin 4 x's a day for a few years now and yes I do get alot of anxiety. I really feel afraid of the guy in back of me when I drive, I've really gotten paranoid about it... Getting hard for me to want to leave the house. there are days when I'm very overly emotional.. Really need to get rid of this anxiety..but I NEED the pain masker.

I do go down to only 3 x's a day many days when I am staying home but at that dose I am highly aware of the leg and foot PN problems. I can't drive with solid pain in the foot and leg cuz I need to feel the petals right.

So I feel it's darned if you do and darned if you don't

Old 02-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
    Sigrid

Sigrid HB User

I 2 have been on Neurontin , was at the max dose 3500 mg. no help made me crazy !!! Have been exploring IVIG, going to doc today. My pain is to the point that I just about can't take it any more. currently using Duragisic Patch and MS- contin not much help...
    Sigrid

Old 03-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
    apinecone

apinecone HB User

New to healthboards-- 1st [attempted] posting.

Anyway, late summer of last year I had a crisis with alcohol overuse, went thru 1 mo. rehab and follow-up psychotherapy. Late last year got Dx for adult ADHD/possible Bipolar and early Jan'04 started Neurontin 400mg 1xda for 2wk then 2xda for 2wk. I noticed side-effects of drowsiness, muscle fatigue/spasms, forgetfulness, etc., pretty much from the start but the 2xda was really apparent and I wanted off (!) and phased it out over a week. No withdrawal symptoms as far as I could tell other than the side-effects abated. Anyone have a similar experience (on Neurontin)?

Short story longer... started Lamictal 25mg 1xda -> 2x da after 2wks to 'rule out Bipolar'. So far only 1wk into it and it has much less side-effects; somewhat encouraging but the Neurontin was pretty disconcerting. Anyone have experiences on Lamictal for Bipolar and then whatever [??] for ADD? Maybe that's another 'thread' or 'topic' or whatever [still learning the lingo here...]?

Old 03-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjw3927
    New to healthboards-- 1st [attempted] posting.

Anyway, late summer of last year I had a crisis with alcohol overuse, went thru 1 mo. rehab and follow-up psychotherapy. Late last year got Dx for adult ADHD/possible Bipolar and early Jan'04 started Neurontin 400mg 1xda for 2wk then 2xda for 2wk. I noticed side-effects of drowsiness, muscle fatigue/spasms, forgetfulness, etc., pretty much from the start but the 2xda was really apparent and I wanted off (!) and phased it out over a week. No withdrawal symptoms as far as I could tell other than the side-effects abated. Anyone have a similar experience (on Neurontin)?

Short story longer... started Lamictal 25mg 1xda -> 2x da after 2wks to 'rule out Bipolar'. So far only 1wk into it and it has much less side-effects; somewhat encouraging but the Neurontin was pretty disconcerting. Anyone have experiences on Lamictal for Bipolar and then whatever [??] for ADD? Maybe that's another 'thread' or 'topic' or whatever [still learning the lingo here...]?
    Welcome to HeathBoards. You'll catch on in no time.
    Actually we are concerned about Neurotin on this board for Neuropathy. But for the other problems you should probably post a new thread on whichever Health Board that is most involved with the specific problem.. you can look at the index of health Boards here and you'll see there are so many boards for diff types of topics. Posters tend to gather around the board that has the topic of thier problem so you may find better answers.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/index.php[/url]
    Hope that helps.

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-07-2004 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
    little726
    Inactive

little726 HB User

I was just diagnosed with alcohol neuropathy. My doctor prescribed 300mg of Neurontin for 7 days, then increase it to 600mg on the 8th day. I really don't like the idea of taking it. If you come off it to fast, you could have seizures. It only has a half life of 6 hrs. After that, my pain returns. Isn't there some other medication for neuropathy? Robin

Old 03-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by little726
    I was just diagnosed with alcohol neuropathy. My doctor prescribed 300mg of Neurontin for 7 days, then increase it to 600mg on the 8th day. I really don't like the idea of taking it. If you come off it to fast, you could have seizures. It only has a half life of 6 hrs. After that, my pain returns. Isn't there some other medication for neuropathy? Robin
    Yes. But NONE to cure it. The majority of them are also anti-convulsants and they simply mask the pain/sensations. You won't like any of the choices actually. All of them have "possible" side-effects of course. NONE of them allow you to simply go off them quickly. Each of them seems to control pain diff in diff people. There is no one pill that works for everyone. Dr's seem to think Neurontin is best tolerated by most people, although certainly not everyone. You can discuss this with your Dr.
    Small dose or large dose, if you are not tolerateing it well then I suggest discussing it with your Dr.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:12 PM   #10
    Ralinda30
    (female)

Ralinda30 HB User

MY hubby was on neurontin with no help, Limictal and tegatral with no relief. He is currently on Zonegran,Pamelor,Zoloft,Percocet,Ms contin,morphine(msir) and Midrin. Still in pain so gl to everyone.oh also on Tramadol.Done the oxy didnt like it.Percocet seems to help but he has been on for to long.The morphine lowers his body temp and makes him clammy sometimes but he is dealing with it.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #11
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

Hi Snowmelts and everyone,

I was on Neurontin for 18 months anywhere from 300 to 900 mg/day. It worked great for my pain and the "normal side effects" of drowsiness, muscle fatigue/spasms, forgetfulness, etc. were tolerable considering the benefits. Then my neuropathy went into remission completely in October last year, and I stopped the Neurontin. In January of this year I went to the doctor and asked for some help with forgetfulness and anxiety. She got me on Zoloft. It took care of the problems completely and I was back to feeling normal. I went to doctor because things were so serious my job in jeopardy. I've started wondering if these were symptoms of withdrawla from the Neurontin. Hmmm. Interesting thread. I'm trying to wean off the Zoloft now and see what happens.

Keep searching for the cause.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #12
    angie007

angie007 HB User

I was just wondering if anyone has started on Neurontin and had worse redness and swelling, but help with the pain? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:19 AM   #13
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    what from?

All this medication is a little confusing. One might interact with the other?

There is a type of neuropathy related to high sugar levels, isn't there?

Many of these symtpoms you all mention are the CFS or gulf war syndrome symtpoms.

So abnormal endocrine system readings and central nervous system damage are part of what you are dealing with.

Many, many times it is resultant from over exposure to a chemical such as 2-butoxyethanol in cleaning and degreaser and paint products.

Check for information on this chemical, it will surprise you. One man shared with me today that there has been more fatigue in our population since this chemical came into wide-spread use. Check for solvent studies; compensated hemolytic anemia ... things like that. Retic ratio and size and shape of red blood cells; CBC with differentials; white counts done by microscope not computer, and kidney and liver function level tests are important check ups for this chemicals harm

Closed Thread