It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Does Neuropathy cause chronic fatigue?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
    Does Neuropathy cause chronic fatigue?

Doctor told me chances are I have non- diabetic Neuropathy. I have to go for more tests. But the chronic fatigue that goes along with this burning ache in my legs is driving me nuts. I've looked on medical web sites for symptoms of this disease, but non of them mention the terrible fatigue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User
    Re: Does Neuropathy cause chronic fatigue?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rstarre
    Doctor told me chances are I have non- diabetic Neuropathy. I have to go for more tests. But the chronic fatigue that goes along with this burning ache in my legs is driving me nuts. I've looked on medical web sites for symptoms of this disease, but non of them mention the terrible fatigue.
    I'm sorry you are in pain. Hope you get some meds soon.

Pain (any chronic pain) = stress.
    Your body systems automatically tries to run to the rescue and fix whatever is wrong..even when it dosen't know what to fix. This over working of the systems makes us tired and is hard on our systems. YEP, pain can wear you out.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-16-2003 at 09:57 PM.

Old 12-20-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
    JDD-JAG
    Inactive

JDD-JAG HB User

What does your Doctor mean when they say you have "non- diabetic Neuropathy" Do they give a cause?

Old 12-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDD-JAG
    What does your Doctor mean when they say you have "non- diabetic Neuropathy" Do they give a cause?
    Many diabetics get a form of neuropathy (most commonly the paraethesia sensations like pins & neddles)

However there are lots of other forms of Neuropathy haveing nothing to do with Diabeties. Many are terribley painful. Many times the cause is unknown.

I am NOT diabetic.
    I have Sensoral Axonal Peripherial Neuropathy.
    Have had it ten years.
    Cause has never been known.
    Without pain maskers the pain is horrid.
    I take Neurontin for the pain.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:01 AM   #5
    JDD-JAG
    Inactive

JDD-JAG HB User

snowmelts

I understand what you are saying I am just tring to put my finger on the reasons I got feet and leg pain.

Were you in the Military and if so when and where were you stationed?

JDD-JAG

Old 12-21-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Welcome to the club. Many of us PNer's have no idea why we have it. Dr's/Neurologists will look, ask the standard questions, and do the standard tests but after that it's hard to get them to look further. You never foget the beginning and the pain.. oh that pain..and when they finally give yout he correct pain masker.. you are just glad that pain is getting controlled. Because of that I didn't even know I should be looking for a reason.. My Dr just said take the pills.. and I do and it helps.

I've had this 10 years and NOW I've discovered this board and others and oh my so many PNer's are hunting their "cause". I've joined them by started to take Sublingual Methy B-12 1000. Can't hurt, might help. I'd love to get rid of my PN.

I'm really lucky mine is "mild" and controlled by my Neurontin. Some members suffer very badly.

Nope, I've never been in the military. I understand some military duties involved some very nasty chemicals which can have neurological effect..
    Closest I've ever come to chemicals was in a beauty shop.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-21-2003 at 03:30 PM.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #7
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDD-JAG
    snowmelts

I understand what you are saying I am just tring to put my finger on the reasons I got feet and leg pain.

Were you in the Military and if so when and where were you stationed?

JDD-JAG
    No never in the military.

Old 01-03-2004, 02:31 AM   #8
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

Sorry to hear you're suffering. I too had a lot of fatigue. Much of it cleared up when I discovered the cause of my PN - it's totally gone now.

It was an allergy to gluten. The stuff can cause severe gastric problems that prevents the body from absorbing nutrients, specific to neuropathy is B12. The wild part is that there were no symptoms before the neuropathy hit.

I think everyone who has idiopathic (of unknown origin) PN needs to consider this. There are no conclusive tests yet for gluten intolerance. Just try a gluten free diet for several months and see if you feel better. I was in a wheelchair for the better part of two years because the pain was so bad. It was worth it to me to try. Very slowly the pain went away. I'm cured now as long as I avoid gluten. Good luck.

Closed Thread