It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Gluten Intolerance Can Cause Neuropathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User
    Gluten Intolerance Can Cause Neuropathy

Here's a note for those to consider who are looking for a cause for their neuropathy. I found it after much research and was able to cure mine. I'm pain free. Hope it helps others.

Some folks are allergic to gluten and don't know it. There are frequently no other symptoms - just bam - neuropathy one day. No stomach problems, nothing.

What's happening is the villi in the intestines are being damaged and are not absorbing nutrients as they should. Sometimes a low B12 turns up in a blood test but not always. Sometimes B12 supplements help but not always.

There are some blood tests that can possibly indicate a gluten intolerance but they're not real reliable yet. An intestinal biopsy will reveal this. I found doctors (and I saw quite a few) unwilling to consider or test for gluten intolerance. I was even laughed at for mentioning it! Well, I'm cured and they're either ignorant or extremely greedy.

I got better by avoiding gluten. I did it just to see what would happen - I was desperate and this was hope. After a couple of months I noticed some improvement in the pain. After three months I was walking again. I've been pain free now for months.

Gluten is a component in wheat, rye, and barley. You would need to avoid all of these plus all trace of gluten used in the processing of other foods: almost everything. It takes lot's a research, but it's worth it. Good luck.

Brice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
    islandlady

islandlady HB User
    Re: Gluten Intolerance Can Cause Neuropathy

Can you tell me if oats (as in raw oatmeal) have gluten? I have no trouble eliminating bread and that sort of thing, but eat a bowl of raw oats with soymilk every morning to help with my cholesterol.
    Thanks!

Old 01-24-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

Hi Islandlady,

From what's I've read, research shows oats are a naturally gluten free food. That according to a Brazilian study presented last year or so at a conference. However, the debate has been so hot about oats because they're apparently heavily contaminated by gluten in the fields, harvesting, transport, processing, etc. Quaker will only certify their rice cakes and rice crackers as gluten free - I've talked to them myself. I'm finding the companies are well aware if their foods are gluten free or not and are very easy to talk to.

I hope you (or is it your son?) get some relief soon. It was two months before I felt any-three before I could walk again. Hang in there.

Old 01-25-2004, 04:36 AM   #4
    islandlady

islandlady HB User

Thanks! I'm curious, when you say you couldn't walk, was it due to pain or did you have motor nerve damage?

Old 01-25-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
    tryingtofeelgood

tryingtofeelgood HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by riceneuroni
    Here's a note for those to consider who are looking for a cause for their neuropathy. I found it after much research and was able to cure mine. I'm pain free. Hope it helps others.

Some folks are allergic to gluten and don't know it. There are frequently no other symptoms - just bam - neuropathy one day. No stomach problems, nothing.

What's happening is the villi in the intestines are being damaged and are not absorbing nutrients as they should. Sometimes a low B12 turns up in a blood test but not always. Sometimes B12 supplements help but not always.

There are some blood tests that can possibly indicate a gluten intolerance but they're not real reliable yet. An intestinal biopsy will reveal this. I found doctors (and I saw quite a few) unwilling to consider or test for gluten intolerance. I was even laughed at for mentioning it! Well, I'm cured and they're either ignorant or extremely greedy.

I got better by avoiding gluten. I did it just to see what would happen - I was desperate and this was hope. After a couple of months I noticed some improvement in the pain. After three months I was walking again. I've been pain free now for months.

Gluten is a component in wheat, rye, and barley. You would need to avoid all of these plus all trace of gluten used in the processing of other foods: almost everything. It takes lot's a research, but it's worth it. Good luck.

Brice
    Hi, I am new here and just posted. I have been reading your gluten information, your research and your recipes. With regard to the probiotics do you add this to your drink, or take with your drink? Also, what is a typical daily diet for you. I am SO happy you are pain free. Thank you for still being around too - takes a special person to continue to help people,

In health, Trying

Old 01-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

Islandlady, I couldn't walk from the pain. They called it RSD until it spread then they called it neuropathy. The pain was the same to me, so I always said the RSD spread.

Tryingtofeelgood, I couldn't tell if you were talking to me or islandlady. I don't know what probiotics are, and I don't recall posting anything I'd consider a recipe, so sorry if I'm interrupting.

The gluten free diet is turning out to be much easier than folks were posting it was. I've been calling food manufactures and finding they're very open about which of their products are gluten free and which are not. I figure so what if I have to get brand B barbeque sauce instead of brand A. As far as processed food, so far I haven't haven't found anything that I can't have if I just do the research and substitute a gluten free brand. I'm even having sandwiches and French toast again by making my own gluten free bread. Considering the option to this diet is the unquenchable pain and loss of using my feet, not a problem! I hope it helps ya'll too.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #7
    tryingtofeelgood

tryingtofeelgood HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by riceneuroni
    Islandlady, I couldn't walk from the pain. They called it RSD until it spread then they called it neuropathy. The pain was the same to me, so I always said the RSD spread.

Tryingtofeelgood, I couldn't tell if you were talking to me or islandlady. I don't know what probiotics are, and I don't recall posting anything I'd consider a recipe, so sorry if I'm interrupting.

The gluten free diet is turning out to be much easier than folks were posting it was. I've been calling food manufactures and finding they're very open about which of their products are gluten free and which are not. I figure so what if I have to get brand B barbeque sauce instead of brand A. As far as processed food, so far I haven't haven't found anything that I can't have if I just do the research and substitute a gluten free brand. I'm even having sandwiches and French toast again by making my own gluten free bread. Considering the option to this diet is the unquenchable pain and loss of using my feet, not a problem! I hope it helps ya'll too.
    Hello Riceneuroni,

You arwe certainly not interrupting anything. I apologize, it was JamesMC who posted a 'drink' which is here: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=75925[/url] it mentions probiotics and I was wondering if he added it to the drink or not. A probiotic helps replace normal flora within the intestines. They saved me when I was on 11 weeks IV antibiotics. It is called acidophilus, lactbacilis, etc. In any event, I have read your posts and I hope you are still feeling well. I appreciate your sharing and knowledge. I am new to this and the scary factor is beginning to wear off.

In health,
    Randi

Closed Thread