HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Neuropathy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuropathy/)
-   -   Scalp and Facial tingling/numbness (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuropathy/151089-scalp-facial-tingling-numbness.html)

hilery79 02-18-2004 09:28 PM

Scalp and Facial tingling/numbness

Hi,
I have had a tingling sensation off and on in my face(all over) and scalp for over 6 months now. My Dr. always thinks this is due to anxiety, but I'm starting to wonder if there might be another cause. I have had a CT scan of my head and sinuses, which turned out normal(except for mild sinusitis). Lately, I've also noticed weakness in my left leg after standing for awhile(this could be totally unrelated).
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows what might cause this tingling sensation.
Thanks in advance,
hilery

scribbles 02-21-2004 06:43 PM

Re: Scalp and Facial tingling/numbness

Tingling usually indicates that a nerve is involved -- has been pinched, injured, etc.

Worsening sinusitis can cause extreme inflammation/swelling of the mucous membranes of your sinuses and lead to pressure buildup or even temporarily block blood flow to your face (esp. with viral/bacterial infections). This might result in some tingling.

The tingling could also be a symptom of something else... How long do the tingling sensations last? What usually brings them on? Did you have any head/facial injuries recently? Are you able to move your facial muscles (numbness)? Do you have any other symptoms that go along with the tingling, eg. problems seeing, feeling dizzy? Does the leg weakness occur concurrently with the facial tingling? Medications?

hilery79 02-21-2004 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=scribbles]Tingling usually indicates that a nerve is involved -- has been pinched, injured, etc.

Worsening sinusitis can cause extreme inflammation/swelling of the mucous membranes of your sinuses and lead to pressure buildup or even temporarily block blood flow to your face (esp. with viral/bacterial infections). This might result in some tingling.

The tingling could also be a symptom of something else... How long do the tingling sensations last? What usually brings them on? Did you have any head/facial injuries recently? Are you able to move your facial muscles (numbness)? Do you have any other symptoms that go along with the tingling, eg. problems seeing, feeling dizzy? Does the leg weakness occur concurrently with the facial tingling? Medications?[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. :)
The tingling sensations vary in how long they last. Sometimes they only last a few hours and sometimes several days. No, I haven't had any injuries and there is no numbness or weakness in my facial muscles. I do feel lightheaded on a daily basis(sometimes worse than others). No problems with vision other than a feeling of pressure behind my eyes and headaches. The leg weakness does sometimes happen with the facial tingling and sometimes it doesn't.

scribbles 02-22-2004 09:00 PM

Well, I was thinking it's a blood vessel blockage, causing a temporary interruption of cerebral blood flow (like a mini stroke), which would affect the areas of your body controlled by that part of your brain. :confused: But I don't think so, as these "periods" would not last for several straight days or even a few hours.

It's been 6 over months already so I really hope you find out what could be causing this (maybe start with a neurological exam)! Best wishes. :)

hilery79 02-23-2004 07:43 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your help. My GP referred me to a neurologist, so hopefully I will get to the bottom of this.
hilery