It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Peripheral Neuropathy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2004, 04:51 AM   #1
    Zander14

Zander14 HB User
    Peripheral Neuropathy?

My father died in 2000 from PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY. I never knew him so I didnt have a chance to see or talk to him about his past and my mother is quiet about everything. She has said that this is not hereditary(sorry for the spelling) so I dont have nothing to worry about. I have done a minor internet search and became more sonfused. Can someone dumb it down, ie..what it is and can I get it from being his son? They said he bloated up and slowly died...Thnks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User
    Re: Peripheral Neuropathy?

i have never heard of any one dying directly from neuropathy theat is a nerve damage condition usually cause by diabetes and some for unknown reasons merely its nerve damage

Old 10-21-2004, 04:43 AM   #3
    Zander14

Zander14 HB User

Thank you for the reply. Thanks to my mothers constant lying about my father(nasty divorce 30+years ago)I guess I will never know the truth. I appreciate your time.....

Old 10-21-2004, 02:59 PM   #4
    german30
    Senior Veteran

german30 HB User

I agree with delrae, I have type2 diabetes along with P.N., I was assured that with diet and excersise P.N. will never be the cause of my death, however, Diabetes can, if I don't control it. So sorry that you were mislead in such a cruel way. Good luck to you!

Old 10-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User

im so very sorry for your loss however if you really want to know what you father really died from contact the department iof vital statistics for the stae he lived in if you have the city even better and request a copy of j=his death certificate maybe this will clear up things for you

Old 10-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
    Zander14

Zander14 HB User

I will give it a try. thanks for the compassion. That's a rare comodity these days.....

Old 10-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User

you are welcome most of here are here because we what to help each other your questions and input are always welcome... good luck

Old 10-22-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

Good idea delrea4753.

Neuropathy is not a disease in itself but rather a symptom of an underlying condition. So bottom line is your father did not die from peripheral neuropathy. He may have had peripheral neuropathy when he died, but it was likely caused by whatever made him ill.

It could be important to discover the actual cause of death because that condition could be hereditary. If you can't find out for sure (such as if the death certificate indicates "unknown causes" or "peripheral neuropathy"), you might try finding anyone who could clue you in to the symptoms he had. That could take a lot of detective work, but there are still folks around who knew him then.

Doctors didn't know 30+ years ago what is known today about PN. There are many causes in addition to diabetes. Gluten intollerance, colon problems, food allergies and a host of nutrient deficiencies can all cause it. There are over 100 known causes. I would think you would do well to try to find the underlying illness in case it is a hereditary condition. Good luck, Detective.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
    bigdog256
    (male)

bigdog256 HB User

I also suffer with a neuropathy called C.I.D.P. , I'm 51 and have had this for over a year. I don't see how anyone could die from it and I would really question whoever told you that. I can tell you it is a cruel and very painfull illness, I have numbness and pain in my hands and also in my legs below the knees. I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited by bigdog256; 11-22-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Closed Thread