It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• A simple at home test for sensory neuropathy,that you can do,

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User
    Talking A simple at home test for sensory neuropathy,that you can do,

Hi.
    My Doc asked if I could put my heel to toe,in total darkness with arms extended without losing my balance.Well,heck,I did'nt know.I failed that test!! Then I remembered I fell out of the bathtub while washing my face 3 months earlier in the shower.
    Try this test close to a bed to fall upon or have spouse handy.It sure does tell the Truth.

Take Care JL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 04:57 AM   #2
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Re: A simple at home test for sensory neuropathy,that you can do,

Hello JL
    I did try the heel to toe test, and of course I couldn't do it. I remember my neurologist also having me do this in his office but not in the dark. He had also stated that I have severe balancing problems. But my Polyneuropathy was diagnosed through and EMG test along with my symptoms. This neuropathy has effected both hands, wrists, both feet & calves. I also have had a couple of falls. But when I leave my home I need to walk with a cane. Thank You for sharing your info with us. I am also sorry that you suffer with neuropathy.
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Old 05-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
    dallasmommy
    (female)

dallasmommy HB User

My neuro had me do that too. It was kind of funny. I am so young(28) he didn't believe me at first and had me keep doing it. He also had me try to stand on one foot and close my eyes. He said because I couldn't feel me feet, by brain couldn't tell where I was and that was why I kept falling over.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User
    Cool Re: A simple at home test for sensory neuropathy,that you can do,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dallasmommy
    My neuro had me do that too. It was kind of funny. I am so young(28) he didn't believe me at first and had me keep doing it. He also had me try to stand on one foot and close my eyes. He said because I couldn't feel me feet, by brain couldn't tell where I was and that was why I kept falling over.
    Dallasmommy,
    So sorry to hear you have Neuropathy at only 28,way too young!
    I have cured my falling (Ha Ha) in the shower.I place one hand on the wall to maintain balance while shampooing,or for a vigorous shampoo,place by Butt against the wall.I've gained 43 lbs.It's easy to Find now! I have since nicknamed myself a" Butterball Babe"
    Hope I brought a smile to you face...
    Take Care JL

Old 07-17-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

OTabby,
    This is a very accerate test.I've had neuropathy for 7 years in the legs.I'm 39 my onset occured after a bad surgery.Not to long ago I was pulled over by our local police,who witnessed me getting into my car,it was a ruff day walking and they accussed me of drinking.Needless to say I failed there sobriety test.I tried to explain to them I don't drink and with neuropathy on good day I wouldn't pass it.I passed the breatherlizer test and sent on my way.Looking back on it now, I can chuckle ,I'm sure the officer is still quite puzzled.For all of you that suffer from neuropathy I understand,stay positive,stay active and goodluck
    nuffs3

Last edited by duttin; 07-17-2005 at 05:18 AM.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Hi there, I was wondering when you say you have neuropathy, is it a motor neuropathy?? Not sensory?? This all confuses me...I thought that there is just sensory neuropathy?!!! Lena

Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

This is only a test for motor neuropathy. It is possible to have sensory neuropathies and still be able to do these tests. Sometimes only sensory nerves are affected.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aslo
    This is only a test for motor neuropathy. It is possible to have sensory neuropathies and still be able to do these tests. Sometimes only sensory nerves are affected.
    Hello aslo,
    I suppose I should have kept it simple and just said Neuropathy.Thanks.
    I lose my balance very easily, so I keep nightlights on everywhere to navigate in the wee hours of the morning when I can"t sleep.Also keep One Eye open in the shower so I don't fall out again. (haha)

Take Care JL

Old 08-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
    countrycraft
    (female)

countrycraft HB User

ok Gals you all have me confused as well..SOOO I gotta ask here
    you are talking of loss of balance - in which I do ALOT-sometimes you would think I was drunk ! although it comes and goes - I can be reaching for something and start to fall over like I lost balance !
    I was tested for neuropathy on my right leg(foot) - my results were ,I have one bad nerve, a thick calf and she couldn't get a reading on the other part of the test in which she said that really bothers her..whatever that meant..

so when you have neuropathy do you lose your balance once in awhile then ???

thanks gals
    GraN

Old 08-18-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
    lookin4ansrs
    (female)

lookin4ansrs HB User

Hello,
    I was diagnosed with bilateral neuropthy a year ago after and EMG taken for numbness in arms and legs, I also have Fibromyalgia recently diagnosed after a full body flare up. I did the sensory test with eyes closed and arms out and almost fell over. Can you tell me what the results mean.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Well I just went into the dark bathroom and tried to do heel to toe and I couldn't do it and I tried many times. I also tried the finger to the nose and I kept putting my finger in my mouth. This is very wierd.

Terri

Old 08-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User

Hello, This is just a test to find out if a person has neuropathy.Like,if you want to find out before going to a Doctor.
    Take Care JL

Old 08-22-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by countrycraft
    ok Gals you all have me confused as well..SOOO I gotta ask here
    you are talking of loss of balance - in which I do ALOT-sometimes you would think I was drunk ! although it comes and goes - I can be reaching for something and start to fall over like I lost balance !
    I was tested for neuropathy on my right leg(foot) - my results were ,I have one bad nerve, a thick calf and she couldn't get a reading on the other part of the test in which she said that really bothers her..whatever that meant..

so when you have neuropathy do you lose your balance once in awhile then ???

thanks gals
    GraN
    Hello GraN, With my neuropathy,I often lose balance,can't wear a high heeled shoe,can't even bend over to pet my cats in the AM.Any time my eyes are closed my balance is off.But I hear this is Normal. Take Care JL

Old 08-27-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terri43
    Well I just went into the dark bathroom and tried to do heel to toe and I couldn't do it and I tried many times. I also tried the finger to the nose and I kept putting my finger in my mouth. This is very wierd.

Terri
    OK Terri,get your finger out of your mouth. (HAHA) I know it's wierd,but it's difficult for US to do without keeling over on our buns.We all must have have a little laff as we're coping with this d--m problem.
    Went to my primary Doc today,reminded her I needed some Zocor samples,I told her before I won't take them @ $30.00 a co-pay,So I get them FREE. (YAHOO)
    She asked what I paid for Cymbalta (neuropathy meds)It's $50.00 copay.She gave me a months supply.Anyway,I was SO Happy walking out of there ,I think I actually kicked up my feet walking out,have not done that in years.She had no idea Cymbalta costs $127.00 w/o insurance.Nice chatting Terri.& ask for those freebies @ your Drs.mine had a closetful!!! All Free!
    Take Care JL

Old 08-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I remember doing that test about 8yrs ago, I fell in the Dr office when I did it. But my polyneuropathy was diagnosed with emg and ncv tests, I also have pernicious anemia which caused the polyneuropathy. I still can't do the heel to toe test without falling and I notice if I walk fast I have no balance problem, but if I just stroll it seems I act like I've had a few too many drinks and wonder all over the place, my hubby chuckles at times cuz he rather walk behind me than along side of me just because of the zig zag walk.

Closed Thread