It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• At wits end w/ this numbness and burning...help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User
    Question At wits end w/ this numbness and burning...help!

Hi all, I wrote before how 3 1/2 months ago I slipped and then started getting bizarre symptoms..both feet burn and feel frost bitten and both legs have a numblike feeling like novacaine and burn also, but these symptoms tend to come and go, although they tend to be here more than not!! there are times when they feel ok...sounds to me like some form of neuropathy, but not sure what from? my back? a pinched nerve? I hope to god It gets better and goes away someday, I hate it its so frustrating..feeling like I have a bad sunburn all the time... I also want to add I had a CBC and no diabetes..and everything was ok..w/ a normal cbc...I have no health ins and I need medical att soon , I am so depressed over this whole ordeal, if anyone knows what this may be please w/b ....I'm really scared at this point!!!
    Thanks so much!!!
    Lena

Last edited by Lena-marie; 06-10-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User
    Re: At wits end w/ this numbness and burning...help!

Lena-Marie,
    I understand and relate to what you are going through. This and other problems that started at the same time, have been ruining my life for a year now.
    My neuropathy symptoms have been improving lately, probably 65%. The problem is as you know, you want it to go away, completely. It stinks, it scares the crap out of you. etc.
    There are hundreds of possible causes, and sometimes, no explanation at all.
    From reading your posts, here is what comes to my mind.
    From the testing you have had, and the symptoms, it doesnt sound like a typical ms, or serious muscle disease, diabetes etc.
    If i remember right you are prone to panic disorder, and you may have fallen and hurt your back. I hope i remember this right. I think both of these things have contributed to your problem. Panic alone can cause horrible symptoms.
    I have had some success with physical therapy.
    Is your problem worse in the morning from bed? Worse sitting than taking a walk? Are your sleep patterns normal?
    Here is what i would suggest. First take just enough of a vitamin mineral supplement to be sure youre getting b12, b complex, e, calcium/magnesium etc. Not tons of each, just one or two supplements.
    Do not take frequent naps, but get one good aprox 8 hour sleep at night.
    Do some mild stretching for the lower back, hips etc. Search on the internet for some, dont overdue them, but do them regularly. Such as lie on your back knees bent up, keeping upper body straight let both knees stretch to the left, back to center then the right. Look up pelvic thrusts as another.
    Take a brisk walk everyday. Try taking two or three short showers a day, letting the water hit your lower back.
    Then the hardest of all, somehow work on your stress especially breathing exercises.
    It could be a combination of panic, hurting your back, panic again, etc. and you need to slowly exercise it back without hurting yourself. With all of this happening its easy to start napping, staying in bed a lot, which is the worst thing you could do.
    If you see some improvement in time, it doesnt come quick, at least you know it can be improved, and what can be improved can usually be eliminated, or turned to something minor.
    I wish you the best. These are horrible sensations, there is no doubt.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Hi Aslo and Thanks for writing!!! Well to answer your ?'s umm I slipped going on 4 months ago and it seems ever since then, both feet hurt and burn bad and both thighs burn bad and I'm super sensitive to cold..make smy legs feel raw!!! also just lately the palms of my hands have been burning off and on and ny hand keeps falling asleep!! Its so weird makes me think I have some weird disease...the symptoms come and go..mostly ar ehere lately though...my feet bother me alot and so do my burning legs..Can this be nerve damage suddenly? God if so can it be reversed? I can't see myself having to live like this I also awoke 2 yrs ago w/ SHL in my one ear w/ bad ringing in it!! I have enough going on besides this terrible burning!! I know stress and panic can mimic alot of diseases etc. and stress can do mad damage, when my ear went on me for no reason they say it was a virus that entered my ear and shut it down..I FREAKED out and I was numb back then too w/ weird symptoms and they went away after a year about...but this is different MUCH worse and bad burning I can't remember having burning..I get so scared reading about peripheral neuropathy cause there are so many causes and one is HIV...YIKES...I was w/ only one guy my whole life..I do no drugs, don't drink don't smoke and i'm very healthy although I don't feel it w/ this damn burning going on..I am on xanax 0.25mg before bedtime for the last 2 years since my ear incident. thanks, lena

Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

You had some tests right? Blood tests?To rule out things like vitamin mineral deficiency
    diabetes etc. Mine started at the same time as digestive bowel problems for whatever reason.
    I also seem to remember you cant afford some of the testing, so I will tell you what i think as much as possible for whatever its worth.
    The hands do not fit in exactly with the lower back problem, however, if you fell its possible you twisted both the lower back and the upper neck area at the same time.
    This doesnt mean necessarily that you need surgery or anything like that, but you could have pinched nerves or an entrapment syndrome going on, i think i do.
    Panic is also related in that it releases tons of nasty chemicals in your system, and may limit oxygen to the muscles. Important question for you. Was there more stress than usual right prior to this? Have you been in constant fear since it started?
    If so, im sure anxiety is involved to some degree.
    Are you laying around, taking frequent naps, not getting exercise?
    The .25 of xanax is a very small dose. You may want to talk to the doctor who wrote it about taking it several times a day. (i know you are probably med phobic as well at this point and i dont blame you)
    Just as an experiment, when youre burning etc pretty badly, try deep breathing exercises. Breathe in for say 5, slowly exhale for 10, wait at least 10 before breathing in again. Do this for at least 15 minutes and see if it has any effect on the neuropathy.
    Typically, the serious disease such as ms start slowly, a tingle here and there for years, progressing as they go along. Yours started pretty much like gangbusters right from the start.
    From what you are saying, it would seem that panic and your muscles/nerves/spine are involved. You need to do stretches and if possible physical therapy, and work on the anxiety. This is no easy job, especially wondering if youre dying all the time, and i expect it to take a while to control. Try to do what you can as far as testing, then work on the things i mentioned. Comfort yourself when you make any small improvement. Do not take naps or lay around babying it, this makes it worse.
    Let me know how you are doing, keep posting. Best wishes.To both of us.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Hi Aslo, Thanks again for responding!! Umm I wanted to ask you since you said the hands don't fit in to the back thing, I read that peripheral neuropathy can cause a glove and stocking effect? Is this maybe what I have?? I also wanted to point out 3 1/2 month ago I did slip bad but didn't fall, and these weird symptoms started but, the last year under my feet would tingle BUT only in the morning for a few seconds then go away..then in march this happened!!! I have BAD burning in both feet and the front of both thighs and its bad raw tugging feeling anything that touches my legs feels sooooooooooooooooooooo weird!! Like they are raw literally!! and lately my palms feel weird they also sort of burn strange crap!! I also want to point out when this occured I went to a tanning salon as I do all winter but just once a week to relax and He changed the tanning lights and he didn't tell me but I highly doubt that had anything to do w/ it...It just burns soooooooo bad and I'm really nervous about the whole ordeal cause I know its so hard to dx!!!! do u think I have MS> >??? I only had a brain MRI 2 years ago and it was normall then...no spine MRI though also can it be guillian barre syndrom or something like that>>>>????? GOd i'm a mess....Thanks for taking the time to write me...It really makes me have a bit of hope...
    Lena

Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

Peripheral neuropathy is a term used mostly for diabetic neuropathy whether its accurate or not. However in my opinion, you have neuropathy, which is the burning etc. and its in your peripherals, hands feet, so i would say that you could call what you have neuropathy. The other term would be paresthesia. But whatever its called, it stinks. Have you had blood work recently just to rule out diabetes and others?
    you dont have typical stocking glove syndrome as yours is in the legs, thighs, feet, and only recently a little in the hands. Are you taking vitamins? You should take something with b12, b complex, calc magnesium, etc.
    Do i think you have MS? No. Anything is possible, but I dont think so based on what youve told me. I do think you have quite the panic disorder going on though, and thats got to be partially responsible. What are you doing about that?

Old 06-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Hi Aslo!! well...I had a cbc and I fasted for that for diabetes, I asked my gp if I could still take my xanax b4 bedtime and he said yes as long as I did not eat..and I fasted for like 12 hours b4 giving blood..and it was normal, My cholesterol was a tiny bit high but nothing bad at all!! and I didn't get tested for vitamin etc. cause I didn't know??? It was a standard cbc!! Also I started a B 50 complex and a multi vitamin a month ago about It doesn't seem to be working I really hope I don't have some weird disease? You seem to really know your medical stuff, impressive what would you say I have if you were to take a guess??? PN but what the heck caused it??? stress can actually Damage the pn system??? I'm very confused now..I know stress can really mess up alot including your hormones. I am anxious but I wouldn't say over anxious...Hmmmm I am nervous...but not overly...I guess...The shower really make sme burn after I get out its soooooooooo bad!!! it don't wanna let up the SOB!!! it was coming and going now lately its always here..can a pinced nerve cause legs, feet and hands to burn and feel numb???? I also wanted to tell you I saw a podiatrist and she said if I have any sort of numbness in my legs its most likely my back...that was when this all first started...my legs got worse since then...and now my hands a bit...I hate wearing clothes cause my damn legs burn so bad and feel raw!!! I don't know which way to turn now???? Dr's will do testing and testing and testing and who the hell knows if they will find anything???? geez...all that money for?? maybe getting dx???? does Pn go away??? ur's you said got better since a yr ago???? well thats good thank god!!!
    your in my prayers aslo!!
    w/b when u can k..
    Lena~marie

Old 06-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

Lm, I wish i could tell you more, ease your fears, and even take the pain away if i could.Unfortunately, im not qualified and I may be in even worse shape than you.
    I cant really guess to well from what youve said. You seem to remember the slip right before this, but to effect the areas youre talking about would mean upper and lower spine, nerve involvement. When you sllipped was your lower back hurting for awhile?
    Does anything like that hurt now? Did you take any different medications right before this time? Were you very very stressed then, when this all started. You have to think back as best as you can. As far as panic disorder, it can do plenty. I know from experience, and also i can tell you that you are extremely anxious from your posts (and i cant blame you) Panic changes your whole body, its a prehistoric reaction
    flight or fight, that floods your body with chemicals, adrenaline, cortisol, and more.
    It sends blood to different areas, takes them from one place and can send them to others to prepare you to die if necessary. It makes changes in your muscles. Your body chemistry is so messed up that you cant tolerate simple medications you took before, or even foods now disagree with you. Aprox. 85% of people with panic disorder experience neuropathy, muscle pain as well as a host of other symptoms.
    Ill tell you a little about my story. Fairly stressed began to have colitis symptoms,
    terrible bowel movements, nausea, abdominal pain. I owned my own business and i do fairly heavy work, so hurting my back is a fairly common thing. I usually go to a chiropractor, and do stretches etc to take care of it. I use a weight machine twice a week for years. Then came my first panic attack. Im a family man, crazy about my daughter(12). I wasnt able to go on an important trip with her last year. I took her to the airport, and when she was on the escalator to the plane, she looked at me, i looked at her, and something happened. i felt like i was having a heart attack, i started to sweat like a pig, i couldnt breathe,pushed the airport door open and went to my car. The pounding in my head was incredible. I tried to get out of the parking lot, but kept running over curbs and such, i felt i was going to pass out so i pulled over. i asked myself if i was having a heart attack, but realized that the look from my daughter started it, so it must be panic. After that i was fairly normal, but i still didnt feel right. I took a sudafed which i take on occasion, and it felt like the attack was going to start again. Weeks passed and i was so upset with my intestinal problem and
    and the threat to my business. I am normally terrified of hospitals and such, but now i found myself cancelling appointments with doctors out of fear. i finally kept one appointment, the doctor gave me a medicine, and the intestinal problem got worse.
    I sat on the couch, felt something move near my shoulder blade, and my lower back.
    The next morning i woke up with a partially numb arm, and sharp pains shooting down the outside of my thigh. It had begun. Since it all started with the g.i. stuff, i had a gastroscopy, colonoscopy, small bowel series, ultrasound, blood work galore, stool studies, etc. etc.
    So, is it from the intestinal problem,the medicine, did i injure my back or neck, was it the panic,
    or all of the above?
    My neuropathy got worse, and everything makes it worse. A shower like you say is terrible, sleeping was difficult, even getting a massage, made me turn into a human vibrator a little later. I had muscle twitches and spasms all over the place. I became agoraphobic, who wants to go to the mall feeling like this. Plus i still have the bowel problem.
    Anyway, thats a little of how it started. i couldnt enjoy a movie because it hurt to sit,
    a swim in my pool made me feel worse later, pure hell.
    Anyway as i said through many different treatments, it did get better, almost a year later. The neuropathy was a 10, now its a 2. However i still have muscle pains, twitching, the intestinal problem is about 70% better. As far as the neuropathy,
    it takes a long time, and i had to learn to do easy exercises a couple of times a day.
    If you are not taking calcium magnesium, you should add that. Its easily depleted.
    and takes a while to get back into the body. Also magnesium deficiency doesnt always show up in blood work.
    I really think you should talk to your doctor about taking the xanax three times a day for awhile and see if that effects it. Also walking, light exercise, good diet,
    and patience.Unfortunately, many neuropathies are of unknow cause, so you may never know no matter how much testing you do. But the real trick is working on your anxiety, and working slowly toward your recovery. If it improves, then you can assume you are effecting it, and its not a horrible disease. In your case, i dont think it is. Possibly muscular/skeletal with anxiety disorder, in any case i feel your body has been shocked to a poor state in some manner. Keep trying.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

P.S. another good trick is distraction. The more you think about it the worse it gets. But its not easy i know when your feet are on fire.
    I suggest you take a little cooler shower than usual, and shorter duration, i think you will find that helps. The heat makes it worse. After almost a year of being afraid to take a shower, i can actually enjoy them again. And if you do have a myofascial thing going on, it can help.
    Try the breathing i mentioned, do it right, at least fifteen minutes, see if it has an effect. many times these things can be from lack oxygen to the muscles, or a carbon dioxide problem.
    Good luck.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Thanks so much Aslo! Thanks so much for all the info etc. Today wasn't that bad my legs burned, but my feet were not as bad as usual, but i'm not holding my breath..lol I wanna start stretching like you mention, I just don't wanna make anything worse, my Back has been hurting and it burns down my spine...I think it nay be my back thats causing some of this...but who knows ?? I wish the vitamins would work a little bit...I wonder if I should take more b 12??? I take B 50 complex and a muti daily one by twinlab..I kinda wanna try a b 12 complex??!!? Ohwell, Thanks again for everything!!
    Lena~marie

Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
    pgok
    (male)

pgok HB User

Hi Lena-Marie. Maybe we can compare notes. Didn't see you mention that neuropathy symptoms were symetrical (i.e., always identical on both sides of the body: hands, feet, and/or calves and forearms). Mine are. Do you have alergies of any kind; i.e., are you prone to developing allergies? If so, you should investigate xanax and any other pills you take. Not just active ingredients, but also inactive. The inactives are usually more numerous (e.g., Prevacid has 20) and may not always be benign. You can get the phone numbers of drug companies from your pharmacist to obtain all ingredients. My current and second bout with peripheral neuropathy (the first 14 yrs ago) started 6 weeks ago, 4 hrs after taking a first Prevacid. I recognized my old symptoms immediately. In 1991 they started after taking Septra. It seems that the 2 ingredients these pills have in common are FD&C red dye #40 and Povidone. It's my understanding from my meager internet investigation that Povidone, Crospovidone, Betadine, Povidone-iodine, are chemically the same thing, tho molecular structures can vary and are applied as antiseptics or as water absorbers to help disintegrate pills. (Note that this formula has about 20 other aliases in addition to those I listed here.)

I mentioned allergies because I found an internet reference to Povidone where it chemically changed in the presence of histamine...which is produced by the body as an allergic response. Doctors found microscopic evidence of this chemical change in body tissue samples. {I noted that I had an itchy/red histamine skin response (to something) days prior to and during the time I took the Prevacid.} In summary, I'm speculating that Povidone/Crospovidone interacted with histamine to produce a "toxin" that produced the neuropathy...and that your symptoms may have resulted from drugs taken after your fall, not from the fall itself. Can you relate to any of these circumstances? A PS to your ear problem: My father went deaf in one ear from Celebrex, and my bother has had constant ringing in one ear for over 20 years from a flu shot. PGOK

Last edited by pgok; 06-17-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #12
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Hi Pgok! Thanks for writing.. You know I slipped and a few days later I started getting weird symptoms, don't know if it was coincidence? or not? My back does hurt lately, the spine feels weird and burns slightly! but my legs the front if them and my feet bilateral on both and lately my palms of my hands burn and it feel weird like my legs are raw and I HATE when my clothes hit my legs I hate wearing jeans now cause it feel sso weird, and my legs also feel numbish..not numb numb but numb like...very hard to describe actuallY! Its very depressing I hope to god it goes away...The only thing I was taking is a birth control pill which I'm not taking anymore and I still take xananx 0.25mg b4 bedtime for the last 2 yrs since my ear ordeal!! so?? I'm stumped??? I hope its not auto-immune..Ms? or lupus?? Its so strange though... Thanks so much for repying..
    Lena~marie

Last edited by Lena-marie; 06-17-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #13
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

HI LM, when i read your notes, it seems to me we r the identical twins on two sides of the world. My case is even more wierd.
    I started to have EXACTLY the symptom you had on my left leg at the very beginning, some burning sensation, getting serious when covered by long trousers, felt a lot better in shorts...and then it spread out to my right leg as well, now it becomes bilateral....unlike yours, mine was developed out of nothing, i didn slip, i didn trusted at all....just one day i start to feel weird sensation on my limp...and that's all, it just develop on and on getting serious day after day....

Originally my low back didn hurt, but now, it does sometime, it doesn't some others... it is not painful at all, but it is just a tight feeling nealy my left side of my spine, close to the my butt. I agree that it doesn't bother me much...what others me is the buring sensation on my legs....

The reason why i told you we r identical twins is that i started to suffer from tinnitus two years ago...again, totally out of nothing...it bothered me VERY MUCH at the beginning...i got sent to do MRI scan, but found nothing and my docotor told me a lot of ppl got that and asked me to live with it....well, whatelse can i do.

For my spine and leg thing, i did MRI again last month, found nothing and i have been to so many doctors, and most of them were speechless and just ask me to go visit Physio and do traction and things like that, which i found not very helpful.....

I couldn't give you any good advice ....but just read your notes and want to let u know that somewhere out there someone is sharing the same thing with u...

Old 06-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #14
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User

Hi david, How are you? Thanks for writing!! well, that is weird..we both have burning and Tinnitus..lol how fun huh?! NOT!! anyways yes the burning is awful!! My legs feel raw and burn bad also my feet too...I hate it! Did any of your Dr's mention peripheral neuropathy?? I think I may have a form of this..not 100% sure though..I need to see a Dr. soon actually and stop putting it off..where do you live you said the other side of the world..? I'm in Pittsburgh
    TTYS,
    Lena

Old 06-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

Hi LM,
    I lives in Hong Kong.
    well...different dr said different things on my leg problem.
    some said there is some minor problem with the "jelly" between L5/S1 of my spine, which pinches on my nerves...this is one saying....but since MRI cannot reveal anything on this....some dr said, may be my weight(i m a bit over-weightes) pushed my spine to compressed a bit too much that causes above...

Some said i m too stressed....i admit that i m, which casued some of my involuntary muscle to contract too much....

Some said my brain is not transfering the right signal to control my leg.....blah blah blah...you can imagine how much $$$ i have spent on this matters

One since your symptom is almost exactly the same as mind, + the tinnius, i am sure we should share the same CAUSE.....

Closed Thread