It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Does anyone have knowledge about compressed disc in cervical spine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Does anyone have knowledge about compressed disc in cervical spine?

My DH has a compressed disc between C-3 and C-4. Doc is going to give him some kind of shots for pain, and if that does not work will do surgery.

He had a company truck accident in October 2004, and all this spine pain started bothering him April of this year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
    bbobunny
    (female)

bbobunny HB User
    Talking Re: Does anyone have knowledge about compressed disc in cervical spine?

I'm not sure about the comressed disk. I was told that I have bulging disk at the c-5 and c-6 and also the c-6 and c-7. I have had a lot of shoulder pain, neck and back pain, radiating into my right arm. The muscles in my upper back were in spasm all the time, started having headaches and I became one constant ball of pain. It got to where I could not use my right arm much at all. The doctor gave me an epidural block injection about nine months ago in my upper back area. Some kind of steroidal/numbing stuff. It was pretty rough for the first few days immediately following but I have been pain free since. .....well until now, I have been riding horses and doing a lot of no no's. I have an apt. for the 1st. I wonder if this is the same thing you are talking about.??

Last edited by bbobunny; 10-26-2005 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling and adding text

Old 10-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Does anyone have knowledge about compressed disc in cervical spine?

Oh my, you must have been in some excruciating pain. My DH sure complains of his pain. Can't wait till he gets those injections, and he will be pain free. So, it has been 9 months and pain free.

Well, I really don't know if hernitated and compressed or the same thing. The nurse just said compressed disc.

Thanks for your help

Old 10-28-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Lady50
    When the doctor's state that their is compression or flattening at level C3-4, this means that the disc is compressing on the spinal cord. This can cause damage to the spinal cord and the longer it is compressed, it sometimes can be permanent damage. Different levels of compression cause various symptoms. But I do believe that most cause not only neck pain, but shoulder, arm, and finger pain. Some can also cause problems with pain in legs & toes depending on the area of compression and the severity of it.

I also had ESI's (Epidural Steroid Injections) both in my lumbar and cervical area. Unfortunately they did not give me any pain relief, instead increased my pain. Everyone responds different to these injection's as some people have stated that they did give them pain relief. But this is not to fix the underlying problem as it is basically a Band-Aid. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have never agreed to the ESI. I would suggest that you do an internet search and read The Burton Report. You will discover that these injection's can sometimes be more harmful then good.

I am sorry for your husband's accident and hope that he does find pain relief. He can also try physical therapy and sometimes traction does benefit some patients. I did purchase the home traction unit to hang over my door, but this method of treatment also did not work for me. Wishing you both the very best.
    (`'...(`'. Jeanne .')...')

on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
    Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    Re-Herniated Disc's, L4-5, L-5 & S1
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
    Disc Osteophyte Complex
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 - September 2005
    Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders
    Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS,
    Cholecystitis, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence
    Polyneuropathy, Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet.

Last edited by MarianJ; 10-28-2005 at 05:29 AM.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your information Tommorrow. It looks like you have been through some very rough times by reading what you have gone through in your signature.

Yes, the injections are just a bandaid. He is very much afraid of getting surgery since he will lose his income. It is a bad deal going through his health insurance, because they may not pay for if it was caused from the accident. That is when workmans comp needs to step in on this subject.

If he had osteoarthritis before the accident, it may be hard to prove that the accident caused this (but we know it did

Thank you, that is a very interesting website.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Hello Jeanne, I was wondering how you get the over the door traction? Do you need a prescription from a doctor and how much do they cost? I have herniated discs at C3/4 and C5/6 with impingment on the spinal cord. Do you think traction might help me?
    Terri

Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Terri

I was giving a script from my neuro surgeon for the home traction unit. I am not sure if you actually need the script or not to purchase it. Most insurance company's do not cover this and it only cost me about $30. I had purchased this in my local medical supply store. I wouldn't use this unless your doctor does tell you to in case your condition could worsen. I think it all depends upon the injury to the spine. Good Luck to you.

Jeanne

Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Lady 50,

Your very welcome. I completely understand about your husband not wanting surgery because of his employment. My husband is the same way. We know that he has injury's but he won't even get the testing as he stated that he needs to work and will not have any surgery. I do pray that if your husband does get the injection's that they give him pain relief. And good luck with worker's comp.

Jeanne

Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
    Murphy

Murphy HB User
    Cool Re: Does anyone have knowledge about compressed disc in cervical spine?

Terri: Surgery should always be the very last choice. Recovery is tough &
    then U R left w/ scar tissue. Good news is that scarring can thicken &
    actually crush nerve endings sometimes. Most of the time, like 5 yrs. later,
    the relief turns to a different pain because scarring can get worse & pinch
    nerves close by the original injury & U have new pain. No one knows except
    the person themselves. I have bulges at C3-C7 & used traction (no script is
    needed) but good instructions from a pro should guide U for amt. of weight.
    It helps alot. Also keep neck from arching alot (like reading or using high
    pillows). I bot a memory-foam topper for mattress & I sleep flat half the
    nite & then use a very flat pillow later. I hate `flat'. In 6mo. I'm feeling much
    less discomfort. Get a cheap hand massager & treat area before bed to relax
    muscles. Also, Ice lessens inflammation. Try a bag of frozen peas if U don't
    have paks. Good neck posture strengthens muscles to support. Get copies of
    all tests, film-records, etc. for a `Home Health File' in case U need to argue
    Ins. stuff. It is law U can have upon signing a release form.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Thanks for the info Murphy. I have copies of every thing. I also bought a memory foam mattress topper they are great. and I have bought 4 memory foam pillows. a chair cushion and heated massagers for the car and my chair. I have a freezer full of ice packs and all types of heating pads, and all types of masssagers. I'm going to try anything to maybe get a little relief. One of the best massgers I have is a finger massager, I didn't know it was a sex toy..lol but it works great for the spasms in the neck and it runs on batteries and it fits in your purse. I'm going to talk to my doctor about the traction, She is trying her best to do things that will help with the pain. This doctor has been my life saver for the past 15 months. If I had a doctor like some of the ones I hear about on here I don't think I could have made it this far. thanks again.
    Terri

Old 11-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had thought about surgery might cause scar tissue buildup. My DH is going in for is shots in his spine November 14th. If that doesn't work then he might have to have surgery. It is just a bandaid, but getting rid of the pain would be helpful at the moment.

Closed Thread