It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Any relief for nerve damage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
    acl828

acl828 HB User
    Question Any relief for nerve damage?

Hello. I've been in excruciating pain and I'm getting nowhere. I was told over the summer by a Neurologist that she thought I had permanent nerve damage and she recommended a spinal cord stimulator to help me with this pain. I was referred to another doc who ordered a CT/Myelogram. He said that, if it didn't show structural compression, he would agree with that Dx. I just got the results today and sure enough, it didn't. Don't get me wrong. I'm relieved that nothing is physically wrong but am very frustrated that I'm in all this pain and they can't do anything to help me. I just talked to his nurse practitioner and she said they didn't know what was next for me. All they know is that my help won't be coming from surgical intervention. Again, I'm glad about that but....
    I'm already taking Lorcet and have been for many months now. In fact, it's not really toning down the pain level like it used to. I'd love NOT to be taking any pain meds but without something I'm climbing the walls. Two weeks ago, my Pain doc added Lyrica. Are any of you taking this and if so, is it helping? I've been on Cymbalta already and it helped but very, very briefly so they took me off of it.
    My question is, has anyone been given a Dx of permanent nerve damage and if so, what do you do to cope? Have you found a device, a medicine, a therapy ???? I welcome any suggestions. I am starting to feel like my life isn't going to improve. I am only 34, have no kids, can't work, don't sleep well...etc. I need PEACE!
    Thank you for reading my ramblings on. I appreciate your patience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
    dango
    (female)

dango HB User
    Re: Any relief for nerve damage?

I am taking Lyrica and got GREAT relief at first--I think I still would if my doc would increase my dosage some. I know people who are on up to 600mg. but my pain clinic doesn't have ANYONE over 150mg, which I think is under utilizing the med! I'm also on 30mg of mscontin er 3x a day w/morphine ir 15mg 2x daily and I STILL hurt. The idea was to get OFF the morphine (that's why the Lyrica was started). Anyway, if you can find some way to be comfortable, some positions, some part of the day--you can be grateful for that and it doesn't seem so bad! Right now I'm sitting on my chair-warmer/massager and it's like heaven. I can't sit here all day--but that's okay. If you think of pain that is also something that won't last all day--because you have these ways to interrupt it--then that can become "okay" also. If you are constantly mentally pushing the pain away, it is a great big negative focus. If you practice accepting each little moment that you're in (like a 12-step program for pain) instead of thinking about "the rest of my life" it's actually more peaceful and less painful that if you're fighting it!

Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I have tried several anti seizure meds and have had no luck with them.The pain is here constantly,but is subsiding some.I have been in physical therapy to strenghten wasted muscles do to the pain.I have days I don't want nothing touching my skin.I have been doing a lite weight lifting and I must say I'm doing a little better.Neuropathy can go into remission,that is what I'm hopimg for.

Toni

Old 01-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
    sapphire_eyes
    (female)

sapphire_eyes HB User

i know a good deal about nerve damage pain. however, i remain open to suggestions for more relief.
    in 2001, a tumor at C-2 was discovered in my spinal cord. it was paralyzing me... lotsa numbness and needles. fortunately, thru much persistance and bitchiness, i got a doc to run the right test to reveal the underlying prob. they removed the tumor, but it left me w/ much nerve damage pain. morphine (up to 1000 mg/day), oxy, and a host of meds were tried. nothing worked.
    fast forward to 2004..... had a brain procedure (deep brain stimulator). it wks only partially, but i still have LOTSA electric pain. depression meds are somewhat helpful.
    currently, i'm self medicating w/ gin (every night (9 oz)). this isn't a long range solution, but it's the only one i have at the moment.

hope you're doing better,
    sapphire eyes

Old 01-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
    sapphire_eyes
    (female)

sapphire_eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangovt
    I am taking Lyrica and got GREAT relief at first--I think I still would if my doc would increase my dosage some. I know people who are on up to 600mg. but my pain clinic doesn't have ANYONE over 150mg, which I think is under utilizing the med! I'm also on 30mg of mscontin er 3x a day w/morphine ir 15mg 2x daily and I STILL hurt. The idea was to get OFF the morphine (that's why the Lyrica was started). Anyway, if you can find some way to be comfortable, some positions, some part of the day--you can be grateful for that and it doesn't seem so bad! Right now I'm sitting on my chair-warmer/massager and it's like heaven. I can't sit here all day--but that's okay. If you think of pain that is also something that won't last all day--because you have these ways to interrupt it--then that can become "okay" also. If you are constantly mentally pushing the pain away, it is a great big negative focus. If you practice accepting each little moment that you're in (like a 12-step program for pain) instead of thinking about "the rest of my life" it's actually more peaceful and less painful that if you're fighting it!

Old 01-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
    sapphire_eyes
    (female)

sapphire_eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuffs3
    I have tried several anti seizure meds and have had no luck with them.The pain is here constantly,but is subsiding some.I have been in physical therapy to strenghten wasted muscles do to the pain.I have days I don't want nothing touching my skin.I have been doing a lite weight lifting and I must say I'm doing a little better.Neuropathy can go into remission,that is what I'm hopimg for.

Toni

Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #7
    evt
    (female)

evt HB User

did anyone tried lidoderm or durogesic patches additionally to the pain killers? maybe this question has been already discussed, if yes i am very sorry to ask this again...
    thanks a lot in advance for your quotes... i do appreciate it veyr much

Old 08-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
    texastom
    Inactive
    (male)

texastom HB User

Hi,
    I have the same problem I can't have anything touching my legs, first it was just the right shin,then both shins and I was finaly given Gabapentin about 6 yrs ago....what a relief they were great ,I felt like Xmas had came early ,but as the past two years have gone by although it still helps " a lot " now my backs of my legs can be agony ( by the way does vibrations and wind and cloth hurt you also hurt if it touches your effected parts as mine does) I have been unable to get out anywhere lately , getting about the house is a large task on some days and I get very angry and snappy with family( mind some desearve it ) anyway I have just been given DUROGESIS patches
    And I am starting to feel some relief "thank god".
    Best of luck!

Last edited by texastom; 08-11-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: missing info

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

I have permanent nerve damage and have the spinalcord stimulator implanted , it has taken some of my calf pain away , my back /hips /thigh and feet -toes still hurt like crazy . I'm going to have another lead implanted on Wed. so maybe they can erase some more pain. This stim helps but it doesn't take it all away . But it sounds like any relief would benefit you . That was the case with me I couldn't stand it any longer so opted for the stim. I also take 175MG Lyrica 3 times a day and Cymbalta at bedtime and only 30MG's of Hydrocodone a day. My PM Dr. feels as if its enough for me. Grrrrrr...it isn't close ! Any questions I gladly answer for you.

Shawley

Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
    Motoxtriplex
    (male)

Motoxtriplex HB User

You are looking to max out the meds and try to get as much relief and see if they work before you go to the next step which would be a trial phase SCS spinal cord stimulator or a pain pump.
    They use Lyrica, Cymbalta, Amitryptiline, Oxycontin, Methadone is what I use its good for neuropathic pain because it has NMDA atagonist properties and the other narcotics do not. Lidocaine patches, possibly nerve blocks, and Ketamine infusion for a few hours may provide relief, in the us how ever they will not do a ketamine coma you will need 20k and to go to europe. Also in canada they have sativix which is THC and canabis in a spray format for neuropathic pain, you could look into that. After you max all the narcotics and drugs do not work you could try a trial stiumulator to see if it will give you any relief however they have lots of issues and personally I would avoid one at all costs. Then you go to the pain pump and there is a medication called prialat from the snail cone toxin zicondiane and you can put other pain meds in your pump. In the future there may be new medications that they are working on but we are all preying for that, right now nothing really exists for nerve damage except that prialt snail toxin in the pump but it has several side effects.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #11
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Hello -- I'm back from the extra lead implant , did it help ? Yes it has except for the pain in my toe's . If your looking for relief whithout taken alot of opiates check into this implant . NOT everyone has problems with these. I have read alot of great stories how it works for some. I have got relief from it . My legs do not hurt , and when the swelling goes down maybe my toe's wont either. My feet are even better now. I do still need med's for my back pain though. But the worse pain is greatly reduced . NO not completly gone but reduced to where I can deal with it.

If your like me your probably tired of taken drugs that make your head foggy. I wish you the best and hope you find an answer to all your pain.

Shawley

Old 08-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
    captinsane1
    (male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

Hello, Im considering the spinal stimulator trial. You mentioned they have several issues, I am trying to gather all the info I can before I make a final descision. I would greatly appreciate any info you have good or bad on the stimulator that you could share with me.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
    captinsane1
    (male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

Hello, I have read alot of your posts you seem really informed on p/n and the treatment for it. You mentioned the spinal stimulator has issues, I am currently trying to gather all the info i can on it in order to make a descison on whether to give the trial a shot or not. I would greatly appreciate any info good or bad that you can share with me.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
    mcarr36
    (female)

mcarr36 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bolrjax View Post
    Hello, I have read alot of your posts you seem really informed on p/n and the treatment for it. You mentioned the spinal stimulator has issues, I am currently trying to gather all the info i can on it in order to make a descison on whether to give the trial a shot or not. I would greatly appreciate any info good or bad that you can share with me.
    I think the trial is such a good thing. It is fairly easy to have done and not very painful. It might just be the best thing that ever happened for you regarding your pain! Worse case, it does not help and they take the leads out. Yes, I have had problems. My leads migrated and I am having surgery in a few days to replace my system. I still believe it has been and will continue to be a great tool for me. It does not get rid of pain, but it masks some of it and for me that is a huge blessing. Please let me know if I can answer anymore questions. Take care, Mcarr

Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
    anwis67
    (female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User

motoxtriplex,
    I would like to talk to you about how you got pn. In one post, you say it was caused by a toxin.

Closed Thread