It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• I suspect I have Peripheral neuropathy - what do I DO? Help please ~ I'm ONLY 29!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
    mayoclinicmommy

mayoclinicmommy HB User
    I suspect I have Peripheral neuropathy - what do I DO? Help please ~ I'm ONLY 29!

Hi guys!

I am trying to stay calm and take deep breaths...

Here is my short story....

Couple of months ago - every so often I would wake up in the night to find the balls of my feet HOT and red...and numb. I would press my fingernails into the skin - and feel NOTHING...

I assumed my feet just fell asleep...

Then, a few days later - the other foot - this time it was HOT, RED, NUMB to tough, but prickly and painful (enough to wake me up)...

Now, it happens most nights...

Occassionally (switches hands), and also increasing with frequency - I'll wake up with my ring finger and pinky finger just dangling there like a numb piece of meat!..

Weird, huh?

I haven't injured either hand - I don't type at work - So, I know it's carpel tunnel syndrome....

I KNOW I haven't injured the balls of my feet.

And, the WORST is I wake up with BOTH calves in a PURE and PAINFUL MUSCLE LOCK!!!!!!

It's a weekend, and I don't know if this warrents a call to the doc???

Any advice is welcome

Thanks a millions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
    jimpadget
    (male)

Location: eleven miles north of the MT/WY boarder off I-90 in Wyola Montana (where men are men and sheep live in constant fear.
    jimpadget HB User
    Re: I suspect I have Peripheral neuropathy - what do I DO? Help please ~ I'm ONLY 29!

I can't speak to your problem with your feet, however, you might wish to consult a podiatrist (sp?), or while you're speaking to a neurologist or neuro-surgeon (again...sp? sorry never did learn to spel in skool) about your numb fingers and cold arms, that seems to me consistant with a herniated disk in the cervical area. I used to be a cross country truck driver and got worried when my pinky and ring finger on my right hand suddenly went numb in VA on I-95...from that point on it's been down hill for me, a very long story so I won't go into it, but initally I was diagnosed with spondlyosis with bone spurs that were thought to be pressing on that nerve that runs down to the tips of the fingers, I also had at the time extremely painful and burning left shoulder pain, so bad I'd have to pull off the hiway and lie down along with taking massive quanitites of ibuphrophen...Advil (about 10 to 20 at a time!). The following year, Billings (MT) got an "open" MRI (which was necessary as at that time I porked out at 380 pounds (yes the stereo-typical truck driver!)! Anyway as a result of the MRI, lo and behold I had not one, not two, but three herniated disks at C-4, 5, & 6...what joy! Anywho, that was cause of that problem, since then many more have developed, including nocturnal cramping of my calves caused by a ruptured disk at L-5-6 and just this last December another herniated disk at L-4-5 even more Joy! I hope this testimony will cause you to ask for a referal to a spine Doc...I would also advise you to get some more advice on the "back pain" board. I do hope you find an answer to your problems, and if you find a Doc that thinks it's all in your head, find another Doc.
    I hope you find help soon, and trust me the sooner, the better!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: I suspect I have Peripheral neuropathy - what do I DO? Help please ~ I'm ONLY 29!

jim has some excellent advice as far as your c spine possibly causing a problem for you.you could also have some problems in the lower extremities that could be stemming from the c spine.although,the foot thing sounds like it could possibly be something totally unrelated too.but at any rate,seeing your primary for an initial eval of your symptoms and a referral for an MRI would really be the best place to start to really look for answers.He/she can also do some blood work to try and rule out or in any other possiblities.after that,depending on just what may or may not show up in the MRI,will didtate the next steps you should take.This could be something rather simple or a bit more involved,but you wont know anything til you actually get this process rolling.call and make that appt today and go from there.Please keep us posted on just how things are going,K? good luck,marcia

Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
    seal1964
    (female)

seal1964 HB User
    Smile Re: I suspect I have Peripheral neuropathy - what do I DO? Help please ~ I'm ONLY 29!

This might or might not help. I read Dr. Mercola's site regarding Splenda/also known as sucralose. Type II diabetic & my feet were burning up and had pins & needles we well as in my legs. Stopped drinking all diet soda's & too much sugar in regular soda. The fiery burning left my feet the first night with only a residual warmish feeling. Wasn't the neuropathy I thought it was. Also cleared up my every day headache I thought was from sinuse's, & the sinuse's were half cleared up. Anxious to know what I feel like after a month.
    Splenda is very toxic and aspartame changes to formaldehyde in the body & leeches the calcium out of our bones. I was taking extra calcium but my naturopath told me I also had to take magnesium for it to be absorbed better by the body. So now I use a cal/mag tablet with vitamin D. Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
    ruffneck
    (male)

ruffneck HB User

Hi there, sorry to hear your story of pain. I can't say for sure but it almost sounds of a case of Guillian-Barre Syndrome. I hope to God it's not though. Does the tingling feeling go up any? If it is go to the emergency room fast. If you don't catch GBS soon enough then you can lose the ability to breath, so it is imperative that you go see a neuroligist or your primary. Let's hope it's not that. Take care.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Schedual an appointment with an Neurologist and have your Nerves tested.(ncv/eeg) also blood testing for Diabetes and certain immune cells on the attack. If nothing is found then probably an Lumbar Puncture may be in order..

Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
    IBS Free
    (female)

IBS Free HB User

I had peripheral neuropathy , diagnosed as Charcot Marie Tooth Disease(CMT). A neurologist told me that I had severe nerve damage to arms, hands, and legs and that it would get worse. I had extreme lower back pain, I could barely button a shirt, or walk up or down a step without holding onto something. I found a holistic MD doctor who did 13 Lipid Exchange treatments by IV over a period of about 4 months. Insurance helped pay 65% of it. I got all the feeling back in my arms and legs. I do not have CMT anymore!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
    bobby0512
    (male)

bobby0512 HB User
    I agree - Splenda is toxic

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seal1964 View Post
    Splenda is very toxic
    Sucralose is poison. It ruined five years of my life. I had a laundry list of medical problems while taking it. I went to several doctors. I had a dozen different tests. I was told that I had a number of different problems. I was on different medication for many years.

Some of the Neuropathy symptoms I was experiencing while using sucralose:

1) Numbness in arms and legs
    2) Joint pain
    3) Migraine with aura
    4) Blurred vision
    5) Confusion; spaced-out or drugged sensation

carbon monoxide - made from oxygen so its like a breath of fresh air.

Closed Thread