It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neurontin users

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
    karie36
    (female)

karie36 HB User
    Re: Neurontin users

Cathy,

I know what you are experiencing. Not a good feeling I am telling you. It seems you and I have a a classic case of depression. I know I do. I know it seems you are a failure at your job, but you are not. Anyone that has stayed in the workplace as long as you and I, we are not a FAILURE WE ARE A SURVIVOR! I know it is rough right now but if you can hang in there a while you will retire. I have experienced the same feelings on past jobs but made it. I am now retired. Sometimes I feel I would like to go back to work part-time just for a change of pace. I cannot bring myself to do so.

Wanting to sleep is part of depression. It is my way of getting away from myself and the world. (Does that make sense?)

I am now going through degestive problems. I hope after tomorrow when I go back to doctor he can give me something to help with this problem.

Congrats to your husband and try to feel good for him even it it is hard. My husband has been my sole support through all my problems.

I have not been on the board for a while simply because I could not bring myself to turn on computer. We have also had sickness in my husband's family and I had to help him deal with that. Seems that is getting better.

We are going to get better also. It seems winter is a bad time for me just want to crawl up in chair and sit there.

Since I have been taking Neurontin (generic) my pain will come and go and not nearly as bad as it has been. I have read posts stating bad/good things about this drug but it has given me back a quality of life I was missing. Now the back/neck pain is there. I also have tingling in the leg and upper back.

So good to hear from you again. I like reading your posts it helps me also to deal with my problems. Waiting for your reply and if this depression continues you might want to ask your doctor what to do.

Keep your chin up,

Karie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
    golfer7
    (male)

golfer7 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Neurontin users

I was just currious if everyone in this thread was still taking neurontin and how much and with what other meds.

I have had sensory peripheral neuropathy, burnin/pain/numbness in Feet/Legs/Hands for about 3 years. Started in Feet for about 2 1/2 years and last 6 months has progress to my legs and hands.

I read where someone was asking about gabapentin. I found something on the internet tht I thought said that gabapentin was the chemical name for neurontin. I kinda took that as meaning that it was the exact same thing. I will try to find it and post the link.

I take 900mg 4 times/day of Gabapentin (neurontin) (3600mg/day). Each time my doc upped the neurontin, I became a zombie. I started having a pain that started behind my left new and went into my groin so she put me on Cymbalta also. Started at 30mg at bedtime. I noticed that it seemed to help me think clearer. I am a independet software developer so I have to think clearly to do my job, but then, don't most people. The last two times she has upped my neurontin, after about 2 weeks of zombie, she would up my cymbalbta. Now taking 120mg at bedtime. It seems to offset the zombie zone.

I still have pain and buring in my feet, especially when I walk a lot, but not necessarily, and the numbness has never gone away.

Just curious what eveyone is taking now.

Tony

FYI - I'm going to start a thread about a treament that my neurologists wants to do on me called IVIG (Intravenous Immunoglobulin Infusion Therapy). Not sure if it would work for anyone, but once you see the post it's worth a read.

Good Luck to All

Last edited by tgodar; 03-02-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
    CittyCat
    Inactive
    (female)

CittyCat HB User

Hi Kari & Toni (do you golf, I do),

I have never heard of IVIG. I am on Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Tanzadine, Zonigrane & pamalor. I've made a decision to halve my tanzadine during the day cause it zombies me out, not the gabapentin. I've been on that so long it doesn't affect me at all I don't think.

The several Dr.'s I've seen think I have a predisposition to neuropathy because my first insident 6 years ago occured from sitting on an auto trip. It's in my left thigh. Then I got the full case in 2004, feet, head, etc. which was brought on by stress in the work place. My hands throb at times and my elbows burn and ache most of the work week. I'm hoping my body can hang in there till 12/07!!!

My new assignment in the District seems to be the blessing in desguise, I landed on my feet. I've got my own office, I know some of the women there already and I only have one function for which there are several ladies who can do back up for me if I'm out, mellow from that stand point. The women I left behind at the school who reassigned me is getting her dues, she is working her a--s off.

Karie I'm glad to see you on the board again, spring is on it's way. Hope all is well with your family.

Sincere love,
    Cathy

Old 03-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
    countryman1965
    (male)

countryman1965 HB User

Hello everyone,

i am new to this but i have been reading all i can find on here about neurontin. my problem started a few years ago with problems walking, after many test and treatments i was treated for a tumor on my spine that had pinched the siatic nerve going down my right leg, with chemo and radiation, the tumor that had been pinching the nerve for so long has shrunk.the doctors say i will never get any better but it shouldn't get any worse. i had been taking morphine and vicadin for the pain but now my pain managment doc has taken me off the vicadin and started me on neurontin about two weeks ago 100mg 3x a day. my problem is it doesnt seam to help with pain and seams like all i want to do is lay in bed and i have been more depressed than before, i do have foot drop and wear an afo brace for that. and i have a couple months left of the cancer treatment. now i will be going through a bone marrow transplant. my questions are. 1 will depression go away in time after being on neurontin, 2 will i every want to get out of bed again and 3 do i need to be on neurontin longer than a couple weeks to see any relief in pain.

thanks for all of your information , i hope you all are doing well

Ron

Old 03-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
    golfer7
    (male)

golfer7 HB User

Ron,

In my experience, it may take some time and may also take higher dosages, but everyone is different.

I started on 300mg gabapentin(neurontin)/3 times a day (900 mg). I know what you are talking about with depression, feeling like you just want to lay around and stare at the ceiling.

My Dr. put me also on 30mg Cymbalta. I was up and down for months. I finally now feel like I can think straight and am in a good mood considering. Even though they have a lot of the same side affets, it seems like the Cymbalta offets some of the bad side afects of the gabapentin, especially the depression and tiredness. Cymbalta is used to treat depression, but aslo for nerve pain like the gabapentin. I was on paxil for depression in 1999-2001 (Y2K Stress). I wonder now if that is what caused my neuropathy.

It took me 4 months to get where I am currently at, only problem, I am currently on 900mg/4 times day (3600mg) gabapentin and 120mg Cymbalta. I still have bad pain/burning when I walk a lot, and sometime when I don't do anything, but I use to have BAD pain/burning all the time 24/7. I still have pain/burning 24/7, but it has gone from an 9 on 1-10 scale to about a 3-4, but this is when I don't do a lot of walking. So much for golf.

I need to get back to working out AND playing golf. Not sure how much I need to up my meds for that.

good luck to you

golfer7

Old 03-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
    Betherlady

Betherlady HB User

Ron, here's my 2 cents.... I started at 300mg 3x day... made me a zombie for a few days, but a week later I started to feel relief and less of a zombie. I am currently taking 3200mgs daily and feel it has helped me more than any other medication (short narcotics). Give it a bit of time (I would ask doc to up the dose, I guess it depends on your tolerance) Good luck, hope it helps u the way it has me...

Old 03-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
    countryman1965
    (male)

countryman1965 HB User

golfer7,

thanks for your reply, im just not sure if i want to increase my dose of nuerontin if this is what i have to look forward to. at least before the nuerontini got out of bed ans did get some excercise and i did not have the depression i am having, thanks for your help and im glad you are doing good.

Ron

Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
    countryman1965
    (male)

countryman1965 HB User

Betherlady

thanks for your reply, it's already been more than two weeks and i just cant seam to get out of bed, i can't imagine what it may be like if my doc wants to increase the dose. i still take morphine and i have reduced that dose myself but i may just go back to increased morphine and get back up out of bed , plus this deprssion is nothing like i have ever experienced, i liked myself before the nuerontin.

Ron

Old 03-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
    dbtd
    (female)

dbtd HB User
    Unhappy Re: Neurontin users

Hello everyone I am new to this board as I only found it while searching for a new medicine my doctor put me on this week. As you can guess it was neurontin.

I have had pain off and on for about 15 years. In the last 5 or 6 is when it got really bad. I finally found a doctor that beleived that I was really in pain and sent me for an MRI Turns out I have degenerative disk desease, and scoliosis with Thorasic Kyphosis.

In 2004 I had c4, 5, 6 fused together because of nerve root compression and was told the pins and needles would go away in time. They did, but about 3 months ago it came back, only worse than before the surgery. It is as if I never had the fussion everything that was there before is back. The burning pain in my neck is back and I can barley hold a pencil or pen anymore and I get random muscle cramps when yawning, bending my arm, ect. They have told me it is not carpol tunnel in my hands because it usually does not affect both hands at the same time and I am able to do things with my hands and wrists that people with CTS can't. I have other pain also but to much to mention and other wierd things going on, drag my foot occassionaly, spot in vision that never goes away, jerking for no reason, memory problems(like the word is on the end of my tongue). I am scheduled for a nerve conduction study in a week hope that will give me some idea of what is going on.

I was hoping that someone might be able to answer a couple of questions as I am not quite sure where to turn.

How long until this new medicine starts working? I have been on 300 mg at bedtime now for 5 days and have not seen a significant decrease in my pain. Also, can anyone tell me what will happen if I take neurontin with the Gaviscon I have been taking? It does have Alum/Mag combo. Also, I keep reading that neurontin may affect the vicondin that I still take almost on a daily basis and why did the pharmasist tell me to get a med alert bracelet? Will this pain be a life long thing and how much has it affected your lives?

Any help you can give me would be great. My husband tries, but well you know. I am a full time college student wanting to get a degree in pathology and he says I should really rethink what I am going to school for. He thinks I should go into something that won't be so taxing on my body like Political Science or Law both of which I do like just not my first choice.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
    CittyCat
    Inactive
    (female)

CittyCat HB User

:wave: Dear dbtd

It may not be that Pathology is taxing on your body but it may be stressful. How do Neuropathy patients feel stress plays on their condition? I have asked that question before. I asked that because with the onset of mine, whenever I lie in bed and think about my job and all the unfinished business and workload waited for me I could feel this vail of tingling and tightness fall over my head, and I couldn't get rid of it. It wasn't just with work either, it was when ever I started to discuss anything I considered stressful. I'm okay now, but some of the damage is permanent, like the feet thing.

I take 400 mg of Gap (neurontine) 3xdaily and have for the past 6 years, cymbalta, pamelor (for depression), and a couple others. I have permanent nerve damage in the left thigh and right calf and feet. I'm now experiencing nerve pain in my elbows too. THe left side of my face with tingle like electric tingling and muscle spasms.

Karie how are you? I like my new job as Attendance Clerk. I have a nice large office all to myself and the high school students have been very repectful of me. I'm in a ruff area of Pasadena/Altadena. So I landed on my feet. My office mate at the site that "kicked me to the curb" is paying the price. Summer is coming and the weather will be warming up real soon!

Sincerely,
    Cathy

Old 03-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
    footballcoach
    (male)

footballcoach HB User

Hi There, To anyone looking to talk to people on neurotin check out the RSD board ( reflex sympathetic nerve distrophy) you may find some answers there I have RSD and have been on neuroten and tramadol for nerve pain I also take Lunesta for sleeping and Wellbitrin for depression and most recently have added lyrica to replace the neurotin not of much help so far but some people have gotten good results with it. I have recieved some valuable info. on the RSD board though. Cheers, coach

Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
    karie36
    (female)

karie36 HB User

Ron,

Welcome to our chat on Neurontin. I started on Neurontin (the real stuff) in 2002 300 mgs 3 x day. It took 8 weeks for the medication to kick in and help with the pain. It has been a life saver for me. I have read both good and bad on the drug but for me it works. I am now on 800 mgs 3 x day(Gabapentin). I still have some pain, nothing like before. As for the depression, I didn't notice this very much since I was already depressed.

I hope everything will work out for you and you will soon be feeling much better.

Karie

Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
    ladybird988
    (female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

Hi. I too take neurontin (gabapentin actually) and learned that it depletes L-carnitine and many b vitamins in your system. Once I started supplementing with those (acetyl L-carnitine and a b complex over and above my multivitamin) I found much of the depression lifted. Immediately. With the first dose of the l-carnitine. PLUS, the gabapentin made me eat everything in sight. Not now. Once I added those supplements, my appetite decreased considerably.

The other thing that has helped lift my depression is going on cymbalta, and going off the percocet. I didn't realize that pain pills are depressants but they are.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
    CittyCat
    Inactive
    (female)

CittyCat HB User

Hi all,

Just a quick good morning/good day this first day of daylight savings. Depression. I seem to go along okay then something silly will happen and I fall apart like a cheap suit. I wake up and find both legs burning. At times I can't even let one leg rest on the other. Now I have that light electrical feeling in the left side of my face. At time it feels like my lip is drupping, I know it isn't but the sinsation is weird.

Oh well thanks for listening. I take all the same drugs you all take, I've made a small business card size hand out to give to any new Medical Dr's. so I don't have to remember them!

Take care,

Until next week,

Cathy in So. Cal.

P.S. Hi Kari, how are you and how are you feeling? My new job is working out well and the students are interesting since I'm in one of the lowest schools in the District academically! Talk to you next week.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
    countryman1965
    (male)

countryman1965 HB User

thanks karie36 and everyone else for your reply, however i had to gain some weight back and get out of bed to prepare for my bone marrow transplant which was moved up from the 20th of april to the 30th of march so i quit taking the neurontin and in a few days i was back up out of bed and eating again i have since increased my weight and got my body ready for the next procedure, i have been in hospital since 3-30 , had chemo everyday and am ready for my bone marrow transplant tommorrow, then i geuss i will have a few bad days before i start getting better but im looking forward to being finished with this treatment soon and getting back to life. thanks to eveyone for all your help. Ron

Closed Thread