It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Muscle twitches anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
    sharonn
    (female)

sharonn HB User
    Muscle twitches anyone?

I have a constant twitch in my left hand(thumb) I read about Parkinson's, ALS and scared myself to death. I had EMG studies done to confirm Periheral neuropathy. I take 5 mgs. Elavil at night and 30 mgs. oxycodone during the day...also tryinf to wean off ! mg. Xanax. Does anyone have any ideas/ hank you, S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
    booemmy
    (female)

booemmy HB User
    Re: Muscle twitches anyone?

I have those too,only my body jerks,just slightly.Sometimes it's my legs,or just the whole body.My GP just says I'm getting older and you have to expect things to go wrong.I'm only 56,i'm not THAT old. It is annoying after a while.boo

Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
    sharonn
    (female)

sharonn HB User

Thanks....I am getting more paranoid by the minute.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Sharron,

To ease your mind abit.You had an EMG,this would have picked up an upper and lower motor neuron disease.The criteria for als is emg show evidence of active and chronic denervation in at least 2 of the 4 regions brain stem,cervical,thoracic or lumbarsacral(revised El Escorial criteria).Hope this helps.With neuropathy the nerves can get over excited and cause these little annoying twitches.

Toni

Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
    blueflamingo
    (female)

blueflamingo HB User

I've had twitches for over a year. They occur all over my body multiple times a day, though some days are worse than others. I also occassionally get small jerks , fingers usually.

I'm kind of used to it after all this time!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
    booemmy
    (female)

booemmy HB User

blueflamingo I was told by a very knowlegible lady on another forum, that twitches and jerks could be caused by lesions on the spinal collum, caused by nerve damage. I don't know if it's true, my Dr. does'nt think a test is important enough to do, to find out, say's I'm getting old(56) and things are going to start to go. Bummer. boo

Old 08-03-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Boo,

Spinal lesions will cause muscle twitching and jerking movements.I had a DR. tell me I was getting old when my vision deteriorated 6 months ago.I turned 40.I wasn't getting old ,I had an occipital lesion.
    56 is young.

There is a syndrome called benign fasciculation syndrome,that causes twitching and jerking movements.They have no evidence what causes it or how long it last.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Spinal lesions and brain lesions can cause twitching a.k.a. MS. Also non spinal/brain lesions diseases can cause twitching a.k.a. ALS. And also neuropathys cause twitching with no lesions so any interuption of nerve signals cause the other neurons to get excited and cause these twitches.....

Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hi Everybody: I find this topic very fasinating, because for about the past three years or so, I have experienced full body jerks that occur at night while sleeping. Occasionally, I have one just as I'm falling asleep and I'm aware of it, but the others (sometimes several a night) my wife tells me about.

I have always blamed it on medication. I'm on several, but the jerks started after I began taking Methadone for chronic pain. When I mentioned it to one of my doctors, he said it was Restless Leg Syndrome. I don't buy that at all. If it isn't the Meth, then I think it's a combination the the medications I take.

Can anyone lend any ideas on this for me? I'm on SSD and haven't worked for the past three years. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which causes constant daily pain in the lower left quadrant and I have bad chest wall nerve pain from lung surgery I had for a non-malignant mass in my left lung almost four years ago. I do take monthly injections of B-12 due to stomach surgery years ago. I don't absorb B-12 normally. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
    booemmy
    (female)

booemmy HB User

Director I was on Nortryptiline 150mgs for the pain of neuropathy,then I weaned myself off,cuz they were'nt working anymore(drs advice) I had the twitches even when I was off meds.I think it's because of the nerve damage caused by many years of untreated Pernicious Anemia,I don't absorb B12 at all. But I think we need to let these drs. know we won't accept OLD AGE at the age of 40 or 56 or even 70, if we have a problem,find out Why and let us know. Boo

Old 08-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hey Boo: Thanks for the post. It's very interesting, because I'm on Amitriptyline, 50 mg at night before bed. I was on 100, but went down to 50 a couple years ago. Also, I don't absorb B-12 either. I have been giving myself B-12 injections for 30 years. I'm 60 and I haven't heard the old age thing yet, but like I said, I have had my doc suggest it's RLS. I had stomach surgery in the 70's and because of them cutting the Vegas nerve and taking 60% of my stomach out (perforated ulcer), I have to take B-12 injections. My ex-wife use to give them to me (she's an RN), but after split, I had to start giving them to myself.

I, too, wish we could find out what this is all about. I've blamed it on the meds for several years, because of the correlation of starting narcotic painkillers and other drugs to the body jerks. I do take Klonopin, 2 mg, which is suppose to help this, but I don't think I'm having any benefit from it.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Director.....Your probably correct on all the meds and your problems your having.I reciently read about people recieving chemotherapy getting neuropathy, and have read in the past about automotive mechanics getting neuropathy do to all the solvents they're exposed too.

The only thing i could think of at this point is if you could ever get off all the meds/drugs and try to do a liver and/or full body detox but its a tough one to figure out and wish i could offer better advice and all .......

Old 09-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
    Metta_Z
    (female)

Metta_Z HB User
    Lightbulb Muscle Twitches Triggered by Magnesium Deficiency

I recently had a horrible case of muscle twitching (fasciculation and/or myoclonus) after a botched acupuncture treatment in which the therapist hit a nerve in my spinal column and the pain shot half-way up my spine. For 2 days afterwards, I had muscle twitching throughout all my limbs and my upper torso -- and the acupuncturist was clueless about what happened.

With a little research on my own on the Internet, I hypothesized that the twitching may have been related to a profound deficiency and/or need for magnesium which was exacerbated by the trauma and nerve pain -- so, I dosed up on magnesium (orally and with daily Epsom Salt baths) and calcium, and within 24 hours the twitching completely subsided.

As things developed, this spinal trauma eventually triggered a raging outbreak of shingles 5 days later, and I am now continuing the magnesium baths, magnesium supplementation and topical magnesium applications to help manage the pain from the post-herpetic neuralgia.

Please note: magnesium can have a strong laxative effect, so search the net for a source of:
    ` ionic or "nano" magnesium (which is easier to take orally in higher doses) and/or
    ` transdermal magnesium (which can be applied directly to the skin, thereby bypasssing the digestive tract).

Hope this helps!
    Metta

Last edited by Metta_Z; 09-26-2006 at 01:48 AM.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
    chillyn
    (female)

chillyn HB User

I have these all over my body- esp in my neck/head-
    I was diagnoised with Essential tremors in Aug-but canged neurologist because things came back full force with more symptoms-
    The MRI came back fine- Im going the end of October to have a
    EMG done.

I hope you find something to help you

Old 09-26-2006, 06:21 AM   #15
    MXbake
    (male)

MXbake HB User
    Really long reply sorry

It starts with one twang in the middle of the night. It only last for a few seconds, maybe only five or so. But it wakes me in the middle of the night with a horrifying scream. The pain can’t really be described. I guess electricity shocking the crap out of you best describes it. I have felt that many times over the years, and the blasting pain, I believe, is worse that being hit with big voltage.
    I was working on a 220-volt light pole around a swimming pool when I was young and somewhat stupid. The power wire welded its self to my thumb and fried the crap out of me. I really thought I was going to die, and right before I blacked out, I realized something had to be done. I just reached up with my other hand and pulled it off my thumb. How simple I thought, “Why didn’t I do that sooner”. Another guy working in the area heard me scream and came running. He said he “Has now heard the scream of death and he will never forget it.” We joked about it the rest of the summer.
    The pain is like that, but once it starts it keeps coming back. Always lasting for hours at a time, it will just hit me out of nowhere, usually in my sleep but not always. Maybe three seconds long then it stops. Then again a few seconds or maybe a minute later, another hit. They never last more then ten seconds, which is good because if they lasted more than a minute I know it would blow my heart up. The body is just not programmed to be able to take that amount of pain. If it didn’t kill me I would kill myself. It will come back when it feels like it. Thirty or fifty of these pain power hits through the night will make it a bad night at my house. Nobody sleeps. The screams wake the kids and keep them up all night. My wife really doesn’t sleep as it usually starts in bed, and I lay there for a few rounds before I get up and go to the living room. Still, no one sleeps the rest of the night. I am hit often. I think I have punched the walls, put my fist through the drywall, about seven or eight times. Yea stupid, but just a natural reaction when it hits me I hit back. I punched a wall Christmas morning, real nice, such an ***.
    So, this goes on all night and when it decides to quit, it will. Now my foot is just numb as can be, but still hurts. Maybe a little more pain because although the shocks have quit for now, it leaves a residual pain behind. The residual pain goes away in a few days, and the overall remaining, always there pain, is one degree better than when that round of torture started.
    I try to console myself by thinking that in a week (if I don’t get another round before that), I will feel a little better, so these power pain torture hits are maybe good. Yea, right!

Closed Thread