It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Anything that can ease Lyrica side effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
    Too Sweet 74
    Inactive
    (female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User
    Anything that can ease Lyrica side effects?

Hi Everyone ,
    I had to call my doc because the pain and burning sensations were worsened. Had burning in my hand like my thumb was sitting in acid for a few minutes never had burning in my hand before..... Headaches have been more a problem too . She had me restarted on Lyrica(only 50 mg) for a few weeks , she doubled it to a 100mg. I had side effects before ( the drunken feeling ect) on 75mg on a trail week a while ago. I start the 100 today and I am worried about how this will affect me. Is there any way at all I can minimize the symptoms ? Anything at all. I am worried about his. My family depends on me for a lot so does my Mom (she doesn't drive). If I get worse than before for a while I know I won't be able to drive . I really need to know if anyone has been able to do anything about the effects. I know I'll adjust after a while ( few weeks she said). That is a long time for me to be out of commission. Any help will be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance , Sherri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
    don'tlikecold
    Veteran
    (female)

don'tlikecold HB User
    Re: Anything that can ease Lyrica side effects?

Hi Sherri!

I had the same trouble with increasing the Lyrica at the smaller doses. Once you reach the upper doses, it doesn't seem as bad. I do my increases on weekends because I try to have the worst effects over with before I have to go back to work. But I don't have small children to take care of so maybe some of the other things will help.

Taking the B-12 has helped with the effects of Lyrica. I take the injections but many have had good luck with the sublingual pills (under the tongue). Along with other benefits, it gives you a boost of energy. So much that when I first started the injections, I couldn't sleep the first night yet the next day I would feel as if I had a full night's sleep.

When the effects of increasing the Lyrica seemed too much to handle, I would increase it only at night. I would give myself some time to get used to the higher dose, even if it took up to a week.

You're on a very small dose and it usually takes a higher dose before any real benefits are experienced. Most people see a real difference so give it your best shot. When or if you have further increases, you can start the increase at night and then add a smaller increase during the day. I still have 75mg pills so I used them for when I couldn't take the full increase at once. With a little work, you can get adjusted. And remember that it will get easier as the doses are increased.

I've also noticed that more exercise helps with the increases. I know it seems like the last thing you feel like doing so you'll have to take my word on this. Keeping busy (even if moving slower) will help adjust quicker.

Get as many errands done ahead as you can. Stock up on groceries, toiletries, paper goods, etc and make any runs to the post office, bank, etc. As a last resort, see if there is a high school senior in your neighborhood who would run errands for a little extra cash. Or a neighbor who wouldn't mind making a stop while running their own errands. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and ask for some help. Most people are more than willing to help once they know you need it.

Do you have kids starting school? This may be a difficult time to increase your meds, if so. Call your doctor and ask if you can wait just a bit until they are settled. That probably won't be a problem but you will have to suffer a bit in the meantime. Maybe they can increase or give you a pain pill to help in the interim.

Good luck and I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
    Too Sweet 74
    Inactive
    (female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User

Thanks Susan, ,
    I'm so glad there is something I can try for this . I am the one who does pretty much everything around here so being affected by that med is a major issue. I have a Mom like I said who depends on me alot to drive her. Husband is one of those guys who feels he worked at his job so that is all he has to do. Wish it worked that way for me LOL.
    I have 17 year old in cyber school at home and a 5 year old about to start kindergarden at the end of the month. I hate asking for help but my Mom will help me if I need it. She lets me hear about it I don't ask her . LOL I'll do what you suggested. I am starting the higher dose tonight. I'll get the B-12 tomorrow for sure.

Thanks again , Sherri

Old 08-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
    RozIA
    Inactive
    (female)

RozIA HB User

If you are still having side effects I would be calling your Dr. I know that Lyrica and Neurontin are almost similar . They cause weight gain and cavities . And they can make you real doppey . Be careful
    B12 is not going to help

Last edited by RozIA; 08-05-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
    Too Sweet 74
    Inactive
    (female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User

Hi Rozia ,
    I am sorry if I confused you about the side effects I had experienced. I tried the Lyrica at 75 MG for a week trial and I had those really disturbing side effects. I didn't call my doc and have her phone in for more for me. I saw her a few weeks later and after hearing what I had said about what I had experienced she asked me to gve it one more try but starting at a very low dose. At 50 MG I'm fine . Jumping to the 100 concerned me because of what happened at 75mg. Turns out she didn't call them in when I went to the pharmacy so I have to wait a few days till I can talk to the office. I already drop things so I hope it doesn't get worse. I'm going to limit the driving till I get used to the new dose .
    As for the B-12. I am going to give it a shot. Harry is pretty knowledgable and has helped me before. With Susan feeling so much better I really feel it is worth a try. I have to do something.There is a very real chance my boys will need me even more soon.
    Thanks for replying , Sherri

Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am in the process of tapering off the lyrica just because of the really bizarre and very strong side effects i was getting.my legs would not work right and it just totally screwed up my eyes to the point where I had to actually think and concentrate on them just to try and keep them in focus.the thing is,its the first anti siezure med that actually worked well on my central pain syndrome and my RSD.so this really does suck

i just had a suggestion for you since you appear to have a rather strong sensitivity to this stuff like i did only not as severe? try increasing it by only 25mg increments at a time.this worked well for me at the beginning but given the side effects it jsut wasn't working for me anymorebut it could work well for what you are currently dealing with.

she first had tried me on 50mgs at night and then in three days went to another 50mgs,and this is where things really started hitting the fan big time.i was actually supposed to go up another 50mgs three days after that second increase,but i was sooo freakin sick that I called my PM and she told me to just drop back down to the original 50mgs at night like I was started on.for some reason,the night time dose never bothered me much at all but man,when I started taking this stuff during the day,wow.it just sucked big time.

when I went back to my PM doc she decided to try doing the 25mg pills instead so we could taper up much more slowly and in not such high doses and like i stated above,this did work much better.i really would give this way a try if you plan to stay on it.

it only took two days at the 50mg dose before i actually felt some relief so you do not actually HAVE to be on higher doses for any real relief,its all very highly individual.some people will not need as much and some may need like three times your "good' dose.I personally wouldn't go any higher on this stuff than I really had to.you do sound a bit more on the sensitive side with this particular med so just take it slow and in the smaller amounts.hope this helps.i really wish i could have stayed on it.i really did have a couple of super days during the trial period of about a month.its just way too hard on me.Let me know how things go.marcia

Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
    don'tlikecold
    Veteran
    (female)

don'tlikecold HB User

Sherri, I think Marcia had a good idea about seeing if you can increase the amount in smaller doses. Keep moving! My first reaction to that dopey feeling is to lay on the couch and watch TV. But it is much better to keep trying to do your regular chores. You'll find that you actually can do quite a bit and the exercise must help metabolize the Lyrica. I don't think any of us like being on these meds but my big fear is that it will progress and my neuro said the Lyrica can stop that from happening.

As for the weight gain and cavities, I brush my teeth several times a day. I have one of those Sonic toothbrushes and it does an excellent job. It is costly but it is money well spent. Your teeth feel like you just had a dental cleaning. My dental plan allows for 6 month check ups so I hope this combination will prevent any cavities. I also have cut out sugar due to the inflammatory process that Harry explained.

The no sugar diet has helped, along with no white flour and very little red meat, to keep me from gaining weight. I have lost weight the last few months. But with this last increase in my Lyrica, I noticed I am hungry so much more. I have had to be creative with snacks to hold off those hunger pains. When they are really bad, I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal. I don't like the cereal all that much but it really really fills you up with little calories.

Right now, the main thing is to get your pn under control then you can work on the other things.

Susan

Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
    Too Sweet 74
    Inactive
    (female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User

Hi Marcia and Susan ,
    Great to hear from you both. I think you are both right and I am going to ask my doc just to put me at 75mg for right now. I didn't mention it but I have noticed something odd going on with my sight. Thought it was just me.LOL . I noticed that I have a hard time focusing when trying to read especially.It's like you said you have to concentrate to do what you need to. Driving is a problem at times. That worries me if it becomes worse with the higher dose. I am trying to keep moving.Got a five year old so I have no choice LOL.I did notice that I sleep a little better though. I went into this hating to take pills and every time I hear I have to take one more it makes me really upset. Always worry about the long term effects of these things too.Since I started it I've had burning in my hand that I didn't have before and have to tell the PM doc about it.
    Marcia I am so sorry to hear you had to go off of something that helped you. Has your doc come up with an alternative? Hopefully you will find something that works for you without giving you grief. That is just heartbreaking. I didn't even know what RSD or CPS was before a friend got RSD. I was amazed so few people knew about it.Something that just has such an effect on peoples lives. I keep praying something will be found that will help everyone. It'll take someone major in the public eye to call attention to these conditions to really get help for them in my opinion. Here I go up on my soapbox , LOL. Sorry.
    I appreciate the help and advice you two have been giving me . I'm so lucky to have such caring people to help me deal with all of this . I would love to feel better so I can more eeffectively deal with everythingelse in my life. Husband gets his scope next monday by the way. I'm sure we'll know that day if he has cancer or not. No word on comp. My doc was deposed last week. Hope that went well. Really need good news at this point. I'd probably have gone off the deep end if it weren't for these boards and wonderful people like you two . Thank you so much for being there for me. I could never express how thankful I am. Please take care of yourselves.Praying for much better days for both of you.

All the best always, Sherri

Closed Thread