It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Statins working against neuropathy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
    Nancy1961
    (female)

Nancy1961 HB User
    Statins working against neuropathy?

After reading much about side effects of statins, I am almost convinced that it is doing more harm than good for my mom. She has been experiementing with statins and is about ready to give them up due to the side effects. The lone that she is currently on is Provachol, along with Zitia. Since taking the Provahol (about 3 months ago) she has noticed swelling in her hands, (her wedding ring is very tight and uncomfortable), and also in her feet, which I think is not helping her neuropathy. They have not found the cause of her neuropathy. I feel like they are missing something. She is going to another Neurologist in a couple weeks for a second opinion. I'm really interested in asking them about the B12 vitamin that I hear so much about. Has anyone heard of statins contributing to neuropathy? She doesnt have the pain in her feet like I read so much about, its just numbness in the balls of her feet. She is trying Cymbalta.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
    Re: Statins working against neuropathy?

Peripheral neuropathy is a well known side effect of all statins and is probably being caused by her taking statins . The nerve damage can be permanent as in my case if you take the statins too long. It left me with a severe case in both feet which never resolved itself even after stopping statins because I took statins like 3 years and believe it caused the irreversible nerve damage . I can't believe these guys don't know this , everyone on any statin board knows this . Just do a google on peripheral neuropathy,statins and see how many hits you get . Don't know how old your mom is but is is well known that statins do very little good for anyone over 75 and cause more problems than good...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
    dahlek
    (female)

dahlek HB User

There are times you almost have to get a degree by experience to figure out all that goes on! Web up all the meds she's on and look at the s/e's --then see what the #'s during clinical trials say as to the %ages. I am currently on several meds. & with the into of a new med for [I]a different condition[I] needing to be treated, several s/e's not encountered to a noticable degree are now working overtime.
    There are times when the 'cures' can be as bad as the illness[es]. You really have to go with your internal feelings on this as to final decisions. REMEMBER, however that Docs aren't pharmacists of experts in subtle drug interactions. Ask, ask again, ask for explanations. Call each drug co about concerns and push, press, prod for answers. They may not have them, but, your asking each drug co.. goes into a phantom data bank of 'averse action reports' which is kept by the FDA... Or, if you feel the drug cos aren't that helpful, the FDA has a site that's not TOO hard to find and it's easy to do a report. Most docs don't take the time, sorry, but it's true. Sigh.
    Statins have been known to cause PN problems, as has chemo and other stuffs. Who decides what/how this all acts/interacts is unknown of now. Hope this helps! - j

Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
    Nancy1961
    (female)

Nancy1961 HB User

Wow. Thanks for all who replyed. Just today my mom went in to her Dr. after deceiding she no longer wanted to take statins. Unfortunately, it seems like we don't know enough about these things until we or a loved one are faced with the problem and then try to play doctor on our own to find answers. It wasn't until just a few weeks ago that I started to learn the connection between statins and neuropathy. My mom is a very healthy 73 year old and cancer servivor, and is now trying to find answers to her neuropathy in her feet. We understand that the chemo had a side effect of neuropathy. She finished her chemo in April of this year. She feels great except for the numbness in her feet. All tests show no reason for it, not diabetic, etc. Thats when I stated reading the side effects of statins. It's amazing the doctors never say anything about what that possibly may mean. Her neurologist just started her on Cymbalta about three weeks ago, which has made her very dizzy, unsteady and seemed to cause her to swell. So today, with long and hard thought, she deceided to go off her Provachol (with Dr.s approval), and now she is considering going off the Cymbalta. She says here she got through chemo, and now feels worse from the effects of the Cymbalta. It will be interesting as to how she feels by eleminating these. Sorry I rambled on.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Hope everything turns out ok for your mom . Let us know how she makes out after being off statins for a month or 2 ...

Old 08-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
    zev101
    (male)

zev101 HB User

hi Nancy,
    I also take statin (Crestor) for my hi cholesterol and I also suffer from NP but I am diabetic too, so the NP cause in my case could be Diabetes. I wanted to ask you if your mother consulted with her doctor re the statins as a cause for NP and did he recommend a different drug for lowering the cholesterol. What I really like to know is are there any Cholesterol lowering drugs which are not Statins.

Last edited by zev101; 08-26-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

yes there is , you have things like Tricor (fenofibrate) , Zetia works in the intestinal track on food absorption) , old standby niacin ,welchol . If your numbers are less than 250 TC then you might want to try taking cinnamon capsules which seem to work pretty well , will bring them down up to like 26% and I have seen no side effects though I would take them after a meal. As a caution cinnamon will cause you to use less insulin if take that so monitor your levels more closely . If you want more info go to the United States Department of Agriculture website and do a seach on cinnamon , lowers cholesterol and helps body metabolize sugar better. Check with your doctor on this if you are diabetic , you could print out the info and bring it to him.

Last edited by vipergg22; 08-27-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Closed Thread