It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• diabetes - undiagnosed, or anything else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User
    Question diabetes - undiagnosed, or anything else?

hi everybody,

my first post here, although i have been lurking for a wee while

i can see that some people have symptoms very similar to mine, but still, not quite the same. so far, i have only seen my local doctor (GP) who tested for diabetes, dehydration and anaemia - all results were normal. she wanted to refer me to a neurologist because i have so many symptoms, but after inspecting my stomach and checking reflexes in stomach and knees(non-responsive) she decided to refer me to a general surgeon at a local hospital. that worried me a bit. the fact that she changed her mind after examining my stomach. apparently i will get an appointment with a general surgeon quicker than i would a neurologist. still, it could take weeks or even months. because of problems with my ears or really, moreso my right ear, she checked my ears too - no sign of any problems or infection.

i have a terrible bad back - pain in the lower back. but more recently up the spine and across the shoulders too, particularly the right shoulder.
    headaches almost daily. dizziness too. odd headaches, pains all over, so no specific area. they are worse after lying down. i often get them when waking up. sometimes nausea too. that doesn't bother me as it will do me good to lose some weight

pain behind my ears. i've had ticking in my ears and that ringing in my right ear. when sleeping this weekend, i woke up with a sore ear - the outer ear! it was red too. and my right eye was a bit swollen with a dark circle around it, almost looked like a black eye. i felt terrible the whole day - very sleepy.
    my left arm goes numb lots, probably carpell tunnel (spelling?). probably a few times each hour. i'm used to that now as it was one of the the first symptoms.
    i get burning pains, shooting pains and dull pains almost everywhere except my feet. mostly left arm and left leg, hip, abdomen and back - very occasionally on the right side. i also get muscle twitches everywhere except for my feet. it feels very wierd when they are around the kidney and abdomen area - not unlike being pregnant with a tiny foot kicking me from inside

i have had my right ear "pop" then numbness followed down the right side of my face. it took about 4 hours to wear off. when this happened, i was bending down to put my shoes on - when i lifted my head, i had double vision for about one minute only, but found that really scary!

i think what worries me most is my stomach. it is bloated and i'm sure i can feel a hard mass in the middle of my abdomen - just above the naval. i also think my doctor felt it when examining me. but i was too much of a coward to ask. she asked if i had indigestion, which i have had for a few years now and take antacids daily. the skin from my breasts down to my navel is numb. the numbness seems to be spreading.
    again this evening, i have had a numb right ear with the cold feeling and it spread down my neck and onto my right shoulder. when i get the coldness in my left arm, well, it's more like shivering only i don't physically "shudder" as you would normally do, but all the hairs on my arm are raised as if i really were cold.

what really gets me down is not the twitching, numbness and pain, but the fatigue. it's very odd. i have good days and bad days. on a bad day, i'm just so overwhelmed with tiredness, i have to lay down to sleep. other days i'm running around after my kids as usual, with no fatigue.
    i have done a fair bit of reading online and the majority of my symptoms point to focal neuropathy. i exclude some other types because i don't have any problems with my feet. apparently the cause is undiagnosed diabetes. but i had a test for diabetes just before christmas and it was clear.

being on antacids - i believe can cause some of these symptoms by altering the level of B12 - just not sure if all. or, maybe i'm not looking at one thing wrong with me, but several smaller things

i'm not looking for a diagnosis, but would really appreciate hearing from anyone with some knowledge of these symptoms so that perhaps i can research a bit more. i am the type that likes to know what i'm facing and i guess, a little impatient to wait to for my hospital appointment.

thanks very much to anyone who takes the time to read my epic! i feel a bit better already just to get this off my chest

gina xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User
    Re: diabetes - undiagnosed, or anything else?

Mzchief.....You list way too many symptoms for anyone to offer any good advice as we are not physicians. Thats more symptoms than just diabete's as being the lone cause. I'm not sure how the health system is in Scotland you should have a full blood work test done and not just diabetes or anemia tests.

I would suggest that after a full blood test has been done and nothing shows up then possibly test for food intolerances (grains/gluten) by trial and error on diet and also by checking for certain antibodies in the blood for food intolerance(s).

Anyway thats my thoughts on this....

Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User

thanks for your input 6foot3.

i didn't actually expect anyone to diagnose me, but just perhaps a pointer or two of ideas i could pursue. have to say, my step mum mentioned a food intolerance. i had dismissed it without research as i guessed there were far too many things going on. but i will check it out now.

the health care system over here in my experience so far, is excellent. my son took ill a couple of years back and had a bone marrow transplant. i cannot fault the system at all. however, i haven't been through it myself yet.

i'm very familiar with blood counts, but know nothing about a full blood work. i will research that too. and you're right, there are so many symptoms. i actually feel embarrassed listing them all!

thanks again for your input - much appreciated

gina xxx

Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Hi Gina... When you ask your doctor for a full blood work it should include your Liver ezymes, all the different Whiteblood cells count, electrolytes etc...If every thing is fine then i would see if you can see a neurologist for nerve testing and MRI on spine and brain just to be on the safe side...

Best Wishes...

Old 01-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User

ah ok - i see what you mean about blood works. i did have a test just before christmas which was a full blood count with electrolytes too. all counts were fine.

my GP did plan to refer me to a neurologist, but then changed her mind and has referred me to a general surgeon. reason being, at our local hospital there is only one neurologist and loads of general surgeons. this means i shouldn't have such a long wait for a consultation. but still, i may well be referred again to the neurologist, so it could prove to be the long way round the system.

time will tell. i will come back here and let you all know how it goes. i think it's great that everyone can share symptoms and diagnosis because it helps us all learn

thanks again,

gina xxx

Old 01-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User

it's been just over two weeks since i first saw my GP. today i received my letter from the hospital advising the date of my appointment.... april 26th!!

whilst the health service dealt with my son in such a professional and prompt manner, it appears adults are not quite treated the same. ah well

gina xxx

Old 01-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Sorry to hear you have to wait that long...So what i'd do until you see your physician is see about how your diet makes you feel. I've been reading more and more about Northern Europeans and Americans related to them that are having a bad time with Wheat and Grains (gluten intolerance). A lot of the symptoms that you mention including neuropathies are related to this.

Also you may want to research Candida as this can cause these symptoms and you also mentiones Diabetes so how is your carbohydrate amounts? I'd go on an anti-inflammatory diet fish, chicken, turkey, egg whites with lots of low carb vegetables like brocolli, onion, kale, spinach, avacados, tomatoes,green peppers and good fats like fish/flax oils and olive oils. Only sugar fruits i'd eats are blue/blackberries and apples. Maybe try this until you see your doctor and if this doesn't help then at least you tried something ....take care !!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
    Allegra
    (female)

Allegra HB User

There are so many threads to neurpathy I don't know which to use. I was sent by my pulmonologist to a neurologist for the numb feet..I have just been diagniosed and am trying to figure out some things. All my blood work came back normal except for my low gammmagloublin. The Vit. B12 and folic acid were fine. So there is no apparent reason for the numbness. It was thought to be from one of the medications for something else but that was ruled out too. It started in my right foot, now is in the left foot and right hand. It's strange to have one hand warm and normal and the other freezing cold and tingling. The doctor gave my a perscription for Lyrica 50mg.to take 2X a day. It helps me get to sleep at night but there is no way I can take it during the day and still function safely. I tried and ended up sleeping on the sofa at 11am and work up in time to start supper! Does anyone have any hints for easing the symptoms and still have a "normal" day? Thanx for the imput.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User

thanks again 6foot3.

your advice is great and it is exactly what i will do. i had already thought of keeping a food diary. my first line of action will be to make sure i'm getting the right amount of daily vitamins, obviously focusing on the B vitamins. and, as you suggested, will try and avoid carbs - or at least aim for low carbs.

it's funny you should mention this, because before the birth of my last son - i was on a long term *my version* of the atkins diet. i used to avoid carbs if possible and did so for years. my weight was fine and i felt great. it's only since having my little one and a huge change in lifestyle (i lived in dubai and moved back here), that i haven't felt well. i think we might be onto something

at least this way i can try to fix myself before going to the doctor. if it fails and i still feel bad, then you can't say i haven't tried

@ allegra - sorry, i wouldn't have a clue as i've had no medical treatment yet. you say you have problems with you feet - oddly enough i have numbness and tingling almost everywhere - except for my feet. and mind is mostly my left side, very few symptoms on the right side. hopefully someone can help you here.

gina xxx

Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
    All my blood work came back normal except for my low gammmagloublin. The doctor gave my a perscription for Lyrica 50mg.to take 2X a day. It helps me get to sleep at night but there is no way I can take it during the day and still function safely. I tried and ended up sleeping on the sofa at 11am and work up in time to start supper! Does anyone have any hints for easing the symptoms and still have a "normal" day? Thanx for the imput.
    Allegra....low Gammaglobulin (immune cell proteins) just means your immune system is low. Not sure if that has any connection to Neuropathy. If you are asking the above question about other medications i do not know but if your asking nutritionally then a couple of natural anti-inflammatories are Tumeric and Ginger and Cayenne Pepper (capsules) can help some on this. You can get these at health food stores....

Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
    dahlek
    (female)

dahlek HB User

Gina, the beginning numbness and progression is a scary aspect of life we have to live with...but, that doesn't mean we have to submit?

I suggest you check out first [url]www.Neuroexam.com[/url] a site that outlines all a neuro checks for and why then take a look at [url]www.LizaJane.org[/url] which provides a check list of tests that can be done for MANY neuro and spinal neuropathies....The first is a good guide to get a handle on what the docs are doing, then the whys of their doing some stuff and not others. The second is a simple summary and a means of keeping track of all the various tests: Blood, nerve, spinal and a bunch of others that CAN be related to a lot of different neuro conditions. Since there are over 200+ different forms of neuropathes it can be the reverse of 'forest for the trees' thing, as you need to know WHICH TREE it is?

I can only ask, based on my own experience, had you had a bad flu or cold or pneumonia a few months before? It could be that the 'having' any of them or being on the anti-b's to get you thru it all could have set off an auto-immune reaction...one that mite not show up in the blood work rite away [hey, it's busy doing a number on your nerves and muscles rite now!]

If I were you, I'd take a look at the above resources and then get copies of your various doctors' reports and tests and then chart it all out. Sometimes, the changes on those tests could be verry useful for a doc to see on a first time consult...no need to repear some tests, but some changes can indicate a need for 'further looking'?

Another thing to keep in mind is that when 'something' happens to us, at times our actual asorbtion of critical vites' and minerals can be compromised. Then, researching out what is more easily asorbed vs other stuff is a super challenge. Blood tests ONLY record what's floating around in your blood...NOT what's actually being used-to test that aspect requires BIOPSIES. I, for one, don't want to exactly volunteer?

I sure hope you find the kind of 'doc mind' that is curious and can really HELP you. Being miserable hurting is NOT fun! - good thoughts!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User

hi dahlek,

thanks for your reply - sorry, i only just logged in and saw it. the more i read, the more i feel like just giving up and living with it. well, if it's nothing obvious that is. the pain, muscle twitches and headaches i can just put up with. i took a look at those websites and they looked very informative. i liked the forms for logging symptoms/treatments. and as far as i can remember, i haven't had any illness prior to this. i'm aware of autoimmune reactions. my son was diagnosed with very severe aplastic anaemia (VSAA) two years ago and had a bone marrow transplant. the docs believed it to be autoimmune and asked the same question. again, i told them he had not had any infections and had been well for two years prior. they replied that he may well have had one, but it could have been mild enough not to show any real symptoms

as 6foot3 advised, i have cut down on carbs and really been watching my diet. i'm also aware that i wasn't too active recently because of feeling so tired and anxious, so bought myself a pedometer. i was just curious as to how much i do in a day as i tend to label myself as lazy. i'm perhaps a bit too critical because i do at least 10,000 steps each day and on busy days, it can go up to 14,000. so as you can see, i don't exactly lead a sedentary lifestyle

the symptoms are gradually getting worse, although i'm trying hard to ignore them. i am avoiding taking pain relief for the headaches because having too many of them aren't going to do me much good. the muscle twitches are more severe. previously i could feel them, but not see them. now i can clearly see them. i'm getting far more pain now, although they are brief - thank goodness. i can feel it coming, then increase - fading then gradually disappearing. all in a matter of seconds only. sometimes the pains are just a sharp burst which makes me twitch to one side or the other, or my leg does a little jump. previously when posting here, i had no odd sensations in my hands or feet. now i got those pains in my toes and fingers too. so despite my efforts, it looks like this thing isn't going away anytime soon.

three weeks back, i took up an appointment offered by the docs for a cervical smear. i asked the nurse if they looked for anything else besides cancer and there was a fairly long list. one was thrush. whilst i'm certainly not aware if i have it, i thought of the comment from 6foot3 regarding candida - i had also read up on the web and indeed, candida untreated can also cause neuropathy. that's something i never knew! anyway, i'm anxiously awaiting the results. she said i would get a letter in two weeks time, but it's three weeks now and i've heard nothing as yet.

generally speaking, although i'm not physically better, i feel much better in myself. i'm not as anxious as i was and am really making an effort in terms of diet and exercise. at least the doc can't say i'm not trying.

once again, thanks very much for your input. i might not follow it all to the book, but overall i have taken notice and feel more able to take charge of this, which certainly does help

gina xxx

ps. forgot to mention, when going for the cervical smear, my blood pressure was taken and it was 100/64. that's a bit low for me, i'm usually around 110/70. when previously having a standard diabetes test at a pharmacy, just before christmas, it was the same lower reading. don't really know if this means anything?

Last edited by mzchief; 02-17-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: adding a ps :)

Old 03-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
    mzchief
    (female)

mzchief HB User

hi folks,

thought i would drop by and give you an update

i'm still waiting to see this consultant on april 27th. but in the meantime, things have not improved, infact gotten worse. all the pains are still there only more severe. facial pain and numbness is quite frequent now. i went back to my GP (well a different one, same clinic) and she did some bloods - CBC, test for thyroid, diabetes, pre-menopausal, cholesterol and ESR. all results came back normal.

last weekend however, i felt some pain under my arm when my little one charged in for a cuddle. later on took a look and noticed it was really tender and quite swollen. after googling lymph nodes and their locations, i had a quick check over myself. i found one in the front of my neck, two at the back, at least one on each side of my armpit (possibly more) both sides of the groin and one just under the sternum. i was devastated and remained in shock for a few days.

today i found the courage to go back to my GP and she was shocked and confused. if it was something nasty like lymphoma, surely my CBC and ESR would be affected. my ESR is actually low at just 11. but my doc said, it's best to err on the side of caution. so i'm on antibiotics for one week. if the nodes haven't gone down by then - i'm in for a biopsy

what on earth this has to do with all the neurological symptoms - i have no idea. i'm completely guzumped. but time will tell. i'm crossing all digits that the antibiotics work!

gina xxx

Closed Thread