It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Tentative diagnosis - ulnar neuropathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
    signing
    (female)

signing HB User
    Unhappy Tentative diagnosis - ulnar neuropathy

Hi, I wanted to post here and see if anyone else is going through/gone through what I am unhappily experiencing.

Easter evening I was working on listing things on an auction website (I do it at home and also part-time for a local business). I noticed that my neck was starting to really hurt and within an hour I had a line of pain from my neck to my pinky, which also felt like it was going numb. By the time I went to bed I was in moderate pain (6 on a scale of 1-10) and I had a terrible time sleeping.

I went to the doctor early Monday morning and when I described my symptoms he said right away "neuropathy." He gave me a pharmacy full of drugs (Anaprox for inflammation, Flexeril in case it was muscle spasms, and Lortab for pain). He said that if, in a week, I was not better, to phone him and he'd schedule me for an EMG and an MRI. He said it could be anywhere along the nerve being compressed, etc.

I'm definitely better than I was on Monday and I'm really enjoying being able to lie down and relax and SLEEP without significant pain. But I'm nowhere near 100% better and doubt I will be by Monday. My neck doesn't hurt all the time but my elbow hurts pretty bad. My pinky isn't totally numb but the sensation is not normal at all. Half numb maybe?

I'm nervous about both tests. I've had CT scans but never an MRI and definitely not the EMG.

I'm 33, have three kids (11, 8 and 4) and have to be able to work to make ends meet. I'm worried that my computer-ing has caused this and I'm also worried about not being able to work at all.

Thanks for reading, if you do,

Monica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Tentative diagnosis - ulnar neuropathy

this does sound like it is probaly in all likelyhood,stemming from the lower part of your c spine.the ulnar nerve IS the c 8 nerve at the very end ofyour c spine right before the T spine begins,tho you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae,you DO have a c 8 nerve.the fact that your pinkie is being affected would just correlate to the c 8. i have alot of damage to my c 8 due to surgery done inside my cord there, and my pinkie and ring fingers are where i lost alot of innervation.an MRI is pretty straight forward,i just had number 16 a few months ago and have survived just fine.its just really noisy,but they do give you ear plugs and headphones.i just try and relax and keep my eyes closed while in there.you may also want to have someone drive you so you can take something to relax you a bit more.i always have to use valium and my mega pain meds just becasue the pain increases horribly for me from the SCI and spasticity problems with my legs.getting an MRI WITH contrast really would be the best way to go here.an EMG is a bit painful(only for some but its pretty innocuous) but its over pretty quickly.you shouldn't have to be there too long with only doing,most likely,that one arm and hand,i had a whole body one that took like forever.but my c spine one i had many years ago,was actually over in about 20 minutes.very quick and yours should be too.this will only show definite nerve compression or direct types of damage/affectaion.so if this comes up negative or 'normal' vs abnormal,it really only tells a very small part of the picture.you can still be having intermittant compression or affectation,it just doesn't show up in the posistion you will be in or is a constant.so if it comes up negative or normal,you still can be having alot of pain and intermittant problems.so don't get worried if that happens.my first EMG for my herniated disc showed completely normal nerve flow,despite the horrid level of pain i was having from intermittant compression.just see what pops up in the MRI,that will tell you alot more than any EMG/muscle study possibly could.

i wish you luck with this.please let me know what you find out,K? Marcia

Old 04-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
    signing
    (female)

signing HB User

Thank you so much for your reply.

My pain got a lot better by last Monday (the day I was to call) but I went ahead and called anyway because I was still feeling pain every now and then and some numbness still. He scheduled me for an EMG May 1. And I'm glad I called because now it's really painful again.

Even if the EMG doesn't show anything I am still going to ask for an MRI.

I'll keep updating here!

Monica

Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
    signing
    (female)

signing HB User

I also wanted to add that I've had to put TTC (trying to conceive) on hold for this. We have been trying for 14 months and I finally got a script for Clomid, I was supposed to start a couple of days ago. Now I'm wondering if I'll ever even be able to get pregnant again. I'm not sure if I could live with the pain without taking narcotics!

I already have three children but desperately want a fourth.

Monica

Last edited by signing; 04-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
    signing
    (female)

signing HB User

Well I said I'd update, if anyone reads this or comes across it in the future it might be helfpul.

My EMG and nerve conduction testing was yesterday. I found it to be highly unpleasant but I have a pretty low pain tolerance. She did put the "cattle prod" type thing directly on the nerve in my elbow that is causing me the most pain and that was horrible. The needles weren't too bad in places, and in other places (my hand and neck) it was pretty uncool.

She was able to give me her preliminary impressions. She did note some slowing in conduction through my elbow, i.e., the ulnar nerve. She didn't see anything that would indicate anything in the nerve root but did say that the test wasn't 100% accurate so there still could be something going on in there (i.e., double crush). She said that I most likely have something called "cubital tunnel syndrome" and upon reading more about it I would have to agree that I have at least that going on.

Now I am just waiting for the results to reach my doctor and seeing what comes next.

I had a lot of pain last night from the testing (mostly the overstimulated ulnar nerve) and was up until 3 am so I came home from work after only 2 hours and slept for 6 hours!!

I'll update here when I find anything else out.

Monica

Old 05-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

I've had both ulnar nerves released. The surgery itself takes care of a lot of the pain - they did one arm one month and then the next.

I have a different problem (that no one can figure out) now - still with the nerves - but not only my arms but also my legs and feet.

Closed Thread