It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Is this Neuropathy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
    successtory
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

successtory HB User
    Question Is this Neuropathy?

Hi all,

I am actually helping my neighbor who is 85 and blind. She does not have diabetes (just tested negative last month), but has been suffering on a daily basis for at least 3 months now. She is complaining of severe 'burning' pain between her knees and ankles...like boiling water. We try cool cloths and sometimes rubbing alcohol, it helps temporarily while being applied. She was told by her neurologist she has neuropathy and he prescribed her Lyrica. Severe allergic reaction. She was then given a Cymbalta script...severe allergic reaction again.

The doctors don't really know how to help her, and except for cooling her legs off--I don't know what I can do. Is this really neuropathy? She keeps questioning this and says there must be something out there to stop this pain. It seems stress kicks up her symptoms several notches. Also, sometimes when I feel her legs when she says they are burning up, they are hot to the touch (she also gets rosy cheeks). Then less than 10 seconds later she will say "cover me up I am freezing" and I feel her legs (between the knee and ankle) and her skin is very cold to the touch. Is this normal symptoms for this disease? She also complains of her thumb and pointing finger being numb on her right side (where she gets bouts of sciatica running down her leg). Oh yes...she also has a fractured L2.

Ideas or information I can share with her?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
    jjm0019
    (male)

jjm0019 HB User
    Re: Is this Neuropathy?

Hello,

This sounds a little like Neuropathy but I can't say for sure because of the fractured L2. That could be the result of her pain and not the neuropathy. I have Small Fiber Neuropathy and have tremendous burning sensations throughout my entire body. It feels like someone has dropped acid in my body and it's making its way through all my veins. Not good times to say the least. It also flares up more when the weather is cold, so I do not doubt your neighbor. The fact that her skin feels warm and cold to the touch doesn't mean anything to me. My skin feels normal regardless of the burning or cold sensations in my body because of the SFN. I would suggest taking your neighbor to a neurologist to do the punch biopsy's on her legs. That's the only way she will know for sure if it's SFN. The procedure is very quick and easy so tell her not to be scared. The symptoms sound like neuropathy and I hope for he sake, it's not, because the disease sucks.

As far as what helps, pain meds help me. Significant amounts of strong Vicodine help take the edge off, but nothing takes it away completely. I don't know if someone at her age should be taking pain meds, so I would make sure to ask a doctor. I truly hope your friends feels better and that she gets the treatment she deserves. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions of me you'd like.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
    Re: Is this Neuropathy?

Hi, yes i agree it sure does sound like small fibre PN, given her age I wonder if vitamin levels have been checked, especially b12, b6, b1, pressure on the lower spinal cord can affect the nerves in the legs as well an MRI would show up any problems there.
    I found some relief from the burning using B1 [100 mg x 3 times a day] there is another form of thiamine called benfotiamine, I know one neuropathy patient who says the benfotiamine has reduced the burning, although it doesn't help everyone.
    The meds that helped me was Endep [ Amitriptyline ] and tramadol slow release.

Aussie

Closed Thread