It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
    kangelo
    (female)

kangelo HB User
    Re: Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms

I would love to know how long it takes for the Neurontin to begin working. I've only been taking it for three days now and my feet are burning so bad, I can hardly stand it. No sleep at night, miserable during the day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
    Valentines
    (female)

Valentines HB User

I just read your reply about taking neurontin for your neuropathy and you said it works pretty well, but you still have pain meds for the breakthru pain. Can I ask what kind? That was such a great way to put it "breakthru pain". I feel like my husband has that too. We used to use Motrin, but now he has an ulcer from that. The vibrator is working well for him, but we are not always home to use that. (see Valentines blog) So it would be nice to have something on hand to take the extra pain away. Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
    Ruby8
    (female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Kangelo, When I started Gabapentin I started at only 100 mg once a day. And I was in an early stage of having small fiber neuropathy so didn't have any burning yet--just pins and needles. The burning started after I was taking Gabepentin. So not sure how much the Gabepentin is helping, but I'm sure the Cymbalta has helped with all the types of pain. My PC doctor started me on Temazepam so I could sleep even before the Gabapentin. It is hell not to be able to sleep, and now I sleep like a baby.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #19
    jwood
    (female)

jwood HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kangelo View Post
    I would love to know how long it takes for the Neurontin to begin working. I've only been taking it for three days now and my feet are burning so bad, I can hardly stand it. No sleep at night, miserable during the day. Any advice would be appreciated.

I can still feel some of the neuropathy symptoms, so I'm not sure that neurontin takes the pain completely away for me. I have been using it for a few weeks now.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
    kangelo
    (female)

kangelo HB User

Ruby8,

Thanks so much for replying. My PC doc just added Amitriptyline, which is a anti-depressant, sleep aid, etc., to my mass of meds. It keeps me so drowsy and knocks me out, it's hard to stay awake during the day. And I work at home on my pc, so that's not good. So far, though, my feet haven't been burning much at all today. My doc said it works together with the Neurontin to mask the burning. Anyway, we'll see what happens. That's great that you're able to deal with it now between the two meds.

Another issue with me is that I'm self-employed and have no insurance, so this is becoming quite expensive. Neurontin is not cheap. Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
    Ruby8
    (female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Kangelo - Gabapentin is generic for Neurotin, so you should be able to get that a lot cheaper than Neurotin. Glad you're now taking an antidepressant and hopefully will get more relief from the burning. Good luck. - Ruby

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
    kangelo
    (female)

kangelo HB User

Ruby, thankfully my doc gave me some complimentary Lyrica, so now I do have the generic. I'm wondering why anti-depressants help the pain and burning. Any idea? Best of luck to you too!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
    Ruby8
    (female)

Kangelo - Lyrica is a similar drug but different than Neurotin (generic Gapapentin). Lyrica is also pretty expensive. (It does make me mad when doctors give you samples of drugs without considering whether you can afford them once the samples run out.) As far as antidepressants, my understanding is that tricylic antidepressants are used for neuropathy because they affect the way your brain recognizes or deals with pain--an effect unrelated to whether one is depressed or not. Best, Ruby

Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #24
    belinda1317
    (female)

belinda1317 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Valentines View Post
    I just read your reply about taking neurontin for your neuropathy and you said it works pretty well, but you still have pain meds for the breakthru pain. Can I ask what kind? That was such a great way to put it "breakthru pain". I feel like my husband has that too. We used to use Motrin, but now he has an ulcer from that. The vibrator is working well for him, but we are not always home to use that. (see Valentines blog) So it would be nice to have something on hand to take the extra pain away. Thanks
    Dear Valentines,
    I take Vicodin for the breakthrough pain. It is very hard here to get anyone to prescribe it, although i have a very understanding doctor. She prescribes enough to get me through a month and then I have to have her approval. She understands that I am not going to abuse it. Sometimes I can go days without using any, sometimes I will take a half one at night, and sometimes i have to take a full one in the morning and a full one at night. It is truly the only thing that COMPLETELY takes the pain away for a few hours and makes me feel normal again!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #25
    kangelo
    (female)

kangelo HB User

Absolutely, Ruby, it makes me mad too. The generic cost me 86.00 for a month's supply without insurance. Ridiculous.
    You've been a big help to me, and I thank you so much. I hope you stick around in case I need your expertise. I've cut the Amitriptilyne in half because t makes me so groggy and out of it. The burning during the day is better, but at nighttime it's worse. Take care, Ruby. Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
    rr123
    (female)

rr123 HB User

I just started taking neurontin about a month ago, increasing it slowly to 3 pills/300mg/day. I have the following side effects: dizziness, drowsiness, coordination problems, some nausea (albeit am wondering if this is because I am at the 2-week point of pms'ing in my menstrual cycle), weakness/fatigue, decrease appetite, loss of concentration, gas/indigestion, cold feet (but this could be due to the changing season of autumn in new england).

i am seeing an acupuncturist and herbalist who have much experience in dealing with patients who have different types of neuropathies. i have had some relief with these traditional approaches, however, after having taken neurotin, i am noticing an increase in soreness/ache after an acupuncture session. going to sleep/resting helps me, and i feel better.

overall, the neurontin is relieving some pain, but i have to wait a little longer as all of the side effects, and the other types of treatments are making it difficult to try to figure out what is actually working for me or not.

any comments, would be appreciated. thnx a bunch.

Last edited by rr123; 09-16-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
    mwt419
    (male)

mwt419 HB User

Are you all aware that there is a class action lawsuit against the makers of LEVAQUIN? I do not have the site. Does anyone have it? Thanks. My feet and legs kill me. I have spent a fortune on shoes and inserts....Good luck to all..

Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #28
    marshrose
    Inactive
    (female)

marshrose HB User

I am on neurontin for nerve pain due to severe herniated discs and 2 back surgeries.

I take 1800mg-2100mg a day (for now I am working my way up) I have been told it takes upto 2 weeks for neurontin to be at its full effect in your system, so if anyones just starting it give it time. Also SOME side effects (for me) were severe the first few days taking it, then they subsided once my body got usedto the med. So I am slowly increasing in incriments and wait 2 weeks, see how the nerve pain is, then increase alittle again until I can find a dosage that works.

I too take vicoden for pain. Sadly, Lorcet worked much better for me and I was more mobile when on that vs the vicoden which is a weaker drug I've been told.

I was also told to take neurontin during the day as well, taking it at night won't help as much for daytime pain, even thou it makes me drowsy I've been trying to take more during the day and less at bedtime.

Take care. great post was good to read how others feel and if neurontin is working for them.

Last edited by marshrose; 10-02-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
    moparman70440
    (male)

moparman70440 HB User

I take 4800mg of Neurontin a day and have been on it for 4 years now. There were some side effects at first but they usually go away. It doesn't take the pain away but diminishes the intensity and the frequency. It also gets my bowel movements working again. It has been the only thing that has helped me. I tried Lyrica and Cymbalta and noticed no change in pain but passed out while on the Cymbalta and was mean and had wierd dreams on the Lyrica. Hope this might be of some help to you.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #30
    byoung6
    (female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User

I took neurontin for a long time, then it quit working, gained alittle weight, but it came off easily. Then I went to lyrica, ultram, tramadol, excetera, excetera... Now I'm on tegratol, vicodin, celexa, phenergan, and robinul. OTC's Ibuprophen, naproxyn. Still looking for that one magic pill that will take this away but until then, working to maintain the best combo for now.
    Seriously, neurontin worked for me a long time, side effects were bad at first but they just about all diminished or I became acustomed to them. Its all a trade off as far as I can see.
    Good luck.

Closed Thread