It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #46
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
    Re: Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms

Hi Terrie, yes neurontin is good for controlling pain but well known for causing weight gain, I am hoping to find an alternative. I read up on it and found that it works well for many people where nothing else did. One nurse was prescribed it and refused to take it because of the weight gain she saw in every patient she took care of that was on it. I lost about 40 lbs. after my divorce 4 years ago, and cannot afford to gain all this back just to go to a doc and be told I need to lose weight to help my condition lol! Because I know that's what the docs tell you if you are overweight. Well I was not before my back problem, my weight problem came on because of my back problem, and not being able to get up and move around. I do not have this problem any more, but saw that I was gaining weight very quickly while on neurontin for a short time, so I quit taking it. I was sluggish and feeling out of it while on it and couldn't function well at all so only when the pain is really bad, I will take one at night. I hope to find an alternative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #47
    jwood
    (female)

jwood HB User

Since beginning this thread, two co-workers have been put on neurontin for symptoms. Both say it helped at first, but had to increase the dosage for the effectiveness. I am still taking neurontin 3 times a day (300 mg each) Sometimes I feel groggy, but it does help the symptoms some. I'm glad that I don't actually feel like there are rock pebbles in my socks anymore. Still have the burning, stinging sensations some. I have not noticed weight gain, but find that I'm more hungry, so snacking on fruit, nuts, etc is helpful. I have found that reading others thoughts and situations is helpful.

Thanks, Jenny

Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #48
    cakiel13
    (female)

cakiel13 HB User

It stopped me from screaming in pain, but I was a walking zombie.

Closed Thread