HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Neuropathy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuropathy/)
-   -   Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuropathy/698337-neurontin-neuropathy-symptoms.html)

jwood 06-14-2009 06:22 AM

Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms

Does any take neurontin for neuropathy leg pain? Can you describe any side effects?

vipergg 06-14-2009 08:42 AM

Re: Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms

[QUOTE=jwood;4011953]Does any take neurontin for neuropathy leg pain? Can you describe any side effects?[/QUOTE]

I lasted about 2-3 weeks on it . It made me like a walking zombie , I wouldn't touch it again myself. If you are having trouble with neuropathy you might want to try something called Metanx which is basically highly potent "b vitamins and folic acid . It has had a very positive effect so far for me and have only been on it 3 weeks .

jwood 06-16-2009 03:05 PM

Anyone else?

daisymaegrl 06-16-2009 04:31 PM

Hi- I was on it for a short while but it gave me such heartburn and I couldn't work my way up to a dose that would have helped me. My neuro just wanted me to keep upping the dose but I could not suffer that terrible burning pain. Since then I have tried Lyrica, Cymbalta,Topomax, Elavil and Lamotrigine, all with side effects that make them impossible to take. So I am labelled "medication intolerant". Best of luck with Neurontin if you decide to take it!

jwood 06-16-2009 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=daisymaegrif;4014051]Hi- I was on it for a short while but it gave me such heartburn and I couldn't work my way up to a dose that would have helped me. My neuro just wanted me to keep upping the dose but I could not suffer that terrible burning pain. Since then I have tried Lyrica, Cymbalta,Topomax, Elavil and Lamotrigine, all with side effects that make them impossible to take. So I am labelled "medication intolerant". Best of luck with Neurontin if you decide to take it![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am taking it now and have been for about a week. So far so good.

I hope the best for you :)

Gummybarb 06-17-2009 07:25 AM

I am on 1800 mg of Neurontin a day with no side effects.

jwood 06-17-2009 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Gummybarb;4014568]I am on 1800 mg of Neurontin a day with no side effects.[/QUOTE]

Wow.. that's a lot, right? I'm glad it's working for you. Does it cause weight gain? Just curious. I think the Requip I was taking, did cause weight gain as well as effected my vision. Vision is better.

Gummybarb 06-17-2009 05:58 PM

I guess 1800 a day isn't that much according to the pharmacist. I may have gained a little weight but other than that, no side effects.

jwood 06-17-2009 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=Gummybarb;4015131]I guess 1800 a day isn't that much according to the pharmacist. I may have gained a little weight but other than that, no side effects.[/QUOTE]

OK. thanks for your posts. All comments are very helpful for me :)

2tiredmom 06-17-2009 07:45 PM

I have taken Neurontin for about 2 years now for nerve pain. No side effects. I take it at night time. 300 mgs.

bilybowl 06-17-2009 11:10 PM

I took gabapetin(generic for neurotin) for 4 months and would not take it ever again. It was like I was walking around in a fog most of the time. Although I quite due to nausea and stomach pain. If you have any side effects, then discuss it with you doctor, most likely, they will do everything possible to help you.

jwood 06-18-2009 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=bilybowl;4015333]I took gabapetin(generic for neurotin) for 4 months and would not take it ever again. It was like I was walking around in a fog most of the time. Although I quite due to nausea and stomach pain. If you have any side effects, then discuss it with you doctor, most likely, they will do everything possible to help you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comment. I have heard that from others also.

jwood 06-18-2009 03:36 AM

[QUOTE=2tiredmom;4015231]I have taken Neurontin for about 2 years now for nerve pain. No side effects. I take it at night time. 300 mgs.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I also take it at night. I have not went on a walk for exercise since I have started it, so not sure if taking at night will help the symptoms when I walk. But I will be trying that very soon.

belinda1317 06-19-2009 10:41 AM

I have been taking neurontin for about 2 years now and do not believe i could live without it. I take between 8 and 1200 mgs two to three times a day. Sometimes my gait will be a little off and sometimes im a little tired, but other than that no side effects. It by no means controls the pain completely, but does make a huge difference. I still have to take pain meds for break through pain.

Ruby8 06-20-2009 07:56 PM

I have been taking gabepentin for 2 to 3 months now. It was the first med I tried for neuropathy. I take 100 mg 4 times a day (not much). My neurologist said taking doses more often (i.e. 4x/day) keeps an even level in your body. I was really groggy and fog-headed a few weeks into using it, but that has gone away over time. What I think helped me the most was when I started talking Cymbalta. I am pretty much pain free between the 2 meds. - Ruby