It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Small fiber neuropathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
    saraclark
    (female)

saraclark HB User
    Question Small fiber neuropathy

I am a 37 year old mother of a 14 year old boy. I was recently told that I have small fiber neuropathy and I know very little about this disease. I have been suffering with extreme pain in my arms and legs for 2 years. I am a diabetic and have been for 22 years. I would like to know if this is a progressive disease that will get worse. If anyone has had this disease for awhile I would like to know what happens. I was told that my legs are like the legs of a 70 year old woman because of the damage already done. I quess I really would like to hear other stories of people dealing with this so maybe I can get ideas on how to cope with the pain. I am already on Neurontin 90o mg three times a day and vicodin ( which doesn't help at all) and cymbalta. If anyone would like to share their story, I would love to hear it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User
    Re: Small fiber neuropathy

Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy. I had constant tingling in my lower legs and feet for a year before going to the doctor.

I went to a neurologist and he ran tests. I'm not diabetic and did not take statin drugs back then. Statins can cause neuropathy.

The doctor basically told me there is no treatment for it, and that if it gets any worse, I should come back and see him.

Within a few months, the synptoms disappeared, and did not return again till I began taking Lipitor four years later. But the second time, it was definitely the Lipitor that what the cause, whereas the first time, I never learned the cause.

Good luck.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
    Re: Small fiber neuropathy

Hi, are you diabetic 1 or 2, I ask this because if you have diabetes 2 and take metformin this can deplete B12 levels, which can contribute or cause nerve damage.
    Also how are your blood sugars ? not only high blood sugars but low sugars can cause nerve damage as well.
    Progression depends on what is causing the damage, if the cause can be stopped then the nerves have a chance to heal, this is a very slow process though, mine took 5 years to heal completely caused by elavated blood sugars plus I was low in B12.
    There are 3 supplements that helped me, 1-5 mg daily of B12 methylcobalamin, R- lipoic acid x 1 daily [ can lower blood sugars in some people ] pays to keep an eye on your sugar levels, plus GLA [gamma-linolenic acid] at 480 mg daily.

Aussie

Closed Thread