It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• ulnar nerve surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
    jenettia
    (female)

jenettia HB User
    Angry ulnar nerve surgery

Hello all. I am new here and hoping to get feedback, or advice on what to do. I had surgery last march on my left elbow. The Dr. was going to relocate the Ulnar Nerve, but when he went in, he said that the nerve had "relocated" itself and was compressed by muscles. He then released it, and it went back where it was supposed to be. I am experiencing SEVERE pain from my elbow, through my wrist and into my ring and pinky fingers once again. I can also feel the nerve "pop" in and out of my elbow when I bend and unbend my arm.
    I have an appointment May 22 with my surgeon. Should I try to have him do another surgery and maybe move the nerve like he originally planned to do? I had an EMG in 2008 and somehow passed. I again had one in 2009 and failed miserably! he said the nerve is so severely damaged, he doesn't understand how I even passed the one in 2008. He told me afterward that it will NOT get better, but should not get worse. Well, it has and it's gotten MUCH worse.
    I babysit a 4 month old 12 hours a day, and now am relying on help from my step sons to help out with changing diapers etc. because it is way way to painful. There are times I can not even sleep at night. I was on Lyrica, but it ended up making me very sick, so now all I have is Norco, and most times that doesn't even touch it.
    What would everyone else do if you all were in my predicament?
    [/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
    rose4me
    (female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
    Re: ulnar nerve surgery

Welcome to the Boards - jenettia - I am a little unclear as to the sequence of events with your ulnar surgery - was it March of 09? of 10? From what you have written I will assume for now, that it was 09. That said - The ulnar is the most tempermental of the arm/hand nerves. As you know it controls the sensation in your pinky and ring finger and in a complamentary way the thumb. You need your thumb to grasp items with your pinky. Our hands are marvelous intricate things. For me, grasping things and realizing that I did not have the item firmly in my hand, along with the horrible pain, was a sign that something needed to be done. The pain of nerves that are constantly being irritated - especially the ulnar, is reason enough to consider a way to remedy your problem. I had ulnar transposition surgery (repositioning the ulnar under muscle - moving it from the normal front of the elbow to the back - under muscle) 2/08. I was injured in a t-bone auto accident and surgery 6 mos later to repair the elbow and wrist as well. I still have issues with the elbow and the hand. They just aren't as sturdy as they used to be. However and this is significant - the damage if I had been able for some reason to wait on surgery would be greater with elapsed time. The ulnar takes it's own sweet time recovering from injury or surgery. I did not want to wind up with a claw for a hand - some people wait too long for help and then have to live with the deformity. My arm/hand is not the same, but I have relearned how to do many things I took for granted and know my limitations now - two years is about the right amount of time to fully adjust to the 'new' me. I know my elbow and wrist are weaker and try to compensate as much as I can when I have things to do around the house - if I get too abitious and forge full steam ahead as in times past - I pay for it.
    What you and your surgeon decide to do is very personal - I wish you the very best success in your healthy future - keep us posted as to how you progress.
    Rose

Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
    deron
    (male)

deron HB User
    Re: ulnar nerve surgery

If your pain is mostly at night this might help you and good luck on your follow up appt. http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=750014&highlight=ulnar+ nerve

Closed Thread