It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neuropathy or discogenic pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
    Austinmominpain
    (female)

Austinmominpain HB User
    Neuropathy or discogenic pain?

Hi All!

I am new to the board and have been appreciating all of your posts. I have had pain for the last year or so. Originally had 2 chronic areas that had prevented me from connecting the dots with episodic pain that I am now experiencing. The 2 chronic areas I had treated were: epidural steriod injection between L5/S1 and facet joint injections at L1, L2, L3. I kept telling my doctors that my pain symptoms were worse right before I got my period every month (I am sorry if TMI). Got on the pill and they still happen.

Now that the 2 areas were treated, I am still having monthly episodic pain that lasts 3-4 days. It starts as forgetfulness, sensitive to noise, EXTREMELY sensitive to vibration and being bumped or brushed against, and headaches. I start getting burning pain in the muscles paraspinally from my lower lumber, which increases in cramping up to my shoulders. When the episodes peak, I have electric-like shooting pain that starts in my lower lumber and shoot up paraspinally to the back of my head and out my shoulders and arms like a fountain. The only way I know how to describe it is like wiring my nerves into an electric socket.

I have tried diclofenac and cyclobenzaprine and the only thing that makes the pain any better is Vicodin or Norco. I am young so no one wants to prescribe it even for short periods- you know young people can't be in pain. It is really hard because the pain is debilitating and I have 2 small children and work.

I saw an anesthesiologist and he is recommending a discogram to rule in/out discogenic pain as I have a small annular tear between L5/S1. I am wondering if anyone has similar electric pain that has been diagnosed or if this sounds disc related. He said that if it was neuropathic pain, I would have leg involvement. I am at a loss as to whether to have the procedure done and whether I should see a neurologist or other doctor. I just want to find out what is wrong and get better. The anesthesiologist seemed perplexed about the electric-pain. Any ideas? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
    Roberta4
    Inactive
    (female)

Roberta4 HB User
    Re: Neuropathy or discogenic pain?

Hi "ustinmominpain"

I'm also new - in fact it was your posting that prompted me to join. Amongst other spinal/pelvic etc problems, I've also had facet joint injections & have arthrosis at L4, L5/S1. I used to get major shooting pain in lumbar region - I call it "ripping & gripping". I had a "Denervation Procedure" which has helped this aspect of my pain problems very much. I occasionally get it a bit but it's usually brought on myself by bending or reaching. It's not pleasant to have done but like the injections, it doesn't last long & is well worth having done.

For another area other than lumbar treated by this procedure - the effect has worn off & so I've still got neuropathic pain but recently started on Gabapentin capsules for this which has also partially helped.

Could your problem be brought on by general inflammation in the pelvic area? You could maybe try combination of things like drinking lots of water - need to keep this up every day (I drank 4 litres a day in hospital,) avoid alcohol which is inflammatory, wear clinical magnet belt (I think this may have helped bloating - anything is worth a try), sleeping with pillows under your knees which I think helps lumbar problems.

Good luck - & ask about the Denervation Procedure - it's well worth it.

RobertaERl

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
    Austinmominpain
    (female)

Austinmominpain HB User
    Re: Neuropathy or discogenic pain?

Thanks for replying Roberta. I thought for awhile maybe I had asked something I wasn't supposed to as no one had responded. I appreciate your input about the RF ablation procedure. It had been suggested to me, but I haven't had as much facet pain since the facet injections, more muscular pain paraspinally. At this point I am thinking about seeing a neurologist. Do you have any thoughts on which sub-specialty to seek out? It seems they specialize quite a bit.

On another note, I met with a wonderful PM last week- if he doesn't do another thing it was so nice to be listened to and really "heard". He has suggested a thoracic MRI. As the electric pain is episodic, usually before my period, he said it almost sounds like seizures. In my searching I came across something called catamenial epilepsy.

Closed Thread