It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
    toody64

toody64 HB User
    Question Neurontin

Have a question for anyone, everyone. I tried Neurontin 600mg. I had a reaction to it. It made me really sick. Has anyone else had this reaction? I think I will try it again, but I am afraid. If I take it with milk or eat some food do you think it will help. I will be waiting to hear from you. I need help.
    Toody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
    chknmama

chknmama HB User
    When I started on it.i think it was a low dose such as 300 ,but eventually I got to 3600mgs a day.I did feel nauseas at first but got over it.Hang in ther ,Hopefully this will workout for you.
    Gentle hugs

Old 09-05-2003, 08:03 AM   #3
    dwpavlik
    Inactive

dwpavlik HB User
    Cool

Hi
    My wife was put on Neurontin. She took one pill and she ended up in the hospital. She is to never ever take that med ever again. The medicine has many dangers and is primarily a seizure medication. It does work for treating some with neuropathy, but make sure you do not suffer from the bad side affects. Read the list and follow the precautions. It may help or it might harm you if you force taking it. Vomiting is a side affect that says do not take it again. Ask for the filler pamphlet, it will tell you all you need to know. And NO not all doctors know what the pamphlet says. I have had to tell my doctors of many side affects and interaction problems with meds assigned to me.
    Don

Old 09-05-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
    halika2
    (female)

halika2 HB User
    I just started today on my 3rd time with neurontin. I have taken it periodically in the past 3 years.

The first time was for terrible burning pain in my hands due to fibromyalgia. (EMG test showed it wasn't carpal tunnel). The pain was gone within a week, and hasn't ever come back as bad.

I was still on a low dose when I broke my left foot. The pain was terrible, even after a month from nerve damage. My neurontin was increased to 900 mg a day fro 100 mg. Within 2 days the pain was gone!!!

Today I started again with 400 mg (it's been a couple years since I took it now). I have peripheral neuropathy in my left foot from 3 bulging lumbar disks. I've had terrible buzzing in my foot for 6 months, and recently pain and numbness in my toes and foot. I'm hoping this helps, cause I'm going CRAZY!!

I do feel woozy for a while when I first start this med. It usually wears off within a couple hours. After a few days I get no reaction at all.

I think you should give it a week or 2 to see what happens, as long as you're not having a drastic reaction. It has really helped me in the past.

Good luck-
    Darlene

Old 09-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #5
    toody64

toody64 HB User
    Thank you chknmama, dwpavlik and halika. I appreciate all your comments in helping me make my decision to try Neurontin again. Don, I am real sorry for the reaction your wife had. As sick as I have gotten I feel like I should have been in the hospital. Once again thanks for your thoughts.
    Toody

Old 09-07-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
    wings

wings HB User
    i've been on nueontrin for almost a year now. i was started on 2400mg a day and still there. i go threough stages of nausea and appettite loss. i do have severe burning tingling and numnbness in my hands feet arms and legs. i was injured at work in jun00 and fired while on light duty for lack of production after their doctor said it could take a year for mr to heal. i had my hand crushed between a part and the machine. in jan 01 their doctor suggusted i go to duke university because he thought i might have either polyneuropothy or rsd. the insurance company finaaly sent me to duke may03! to the pain clinic. i definately have nerve damage on the left side including parts of the face. she believed it to be the neuropothy instead of the rsd, but i have to see the neurologist to redo the emg for a definate diagnosis. i'm going on the 10th. my question to you all is this... does anyone get severe pains that feel like it's deep through the bones? the best way i can explain the pain is if someone held a gun about 1 foot from the bone and shot it. the pain is like the bone shattering on contact in slow motion, but it happens fast. the other day i was having these pains in my right shin so bad it took my breath away.thepains were coming every couple of minutes. just now before i got up i had the pain in my left hip, but not as strong. i'm starting to get afraid. if i have to choose between neuropothy and rsd, i rather have neuor. rsd deteriates the bones and disforms the limbs. please tell me someone has some of thses systems of the shatering pain. thanks for a reply.
    marianne

Old 09-12-2003, 09:26 AM   #7
    dayton
    Veteran

dayton HB User
    Marianne, please post on the rsd board here. It sounds like it, but I hope not. Maybe the others can help you. I've had rsd for 8 months and so far my case is considered "mild". I started blocks within 3 months and am hoping it does not progress. I never ever thought this would happen.

Please don't let this go on too long. Get to a pain management doc if you can.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #8
    karie36
    (female)

karie36 HB User
    I have been talking Neurontin 300 mg 3 x day for about 20 months. I have suffered with a stabbing, burning and tingling pain in right side for about 20 years. The internist did everything possible to help with no avail until I was referred to pain management about 2 years ago.Took about 8 weeks before Neurontin to kick in and help with pain. I still get pain then I gradually increase my dosage to 1800 mgs a day. After 2 weeks I usually have no pain and decrease back to 300 mgs. I know how you feel this pain really hurts!. Good luck on your treatment.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
    bme1361

bme1361 HB User
    Hi, I have pn. and was just diagnosed about 4 months ago. My doctor started me on Nortriptilin, that help for awile and then it got worse so he gave me samples of Neurontin. I took it for two days and stopped because my heart was racing. I have an anxiety problems and this med. wasn't helping. After reading what you guys have said, if it helps I think I will give it another try. I'm so glad that I found this board. It helps to hear other peoples opinions. Thanks!
    Bev.

[This message has been edited by bme1361 (edited 09-17-2003).]

Old 09-24-2003, 03:54 PM   #10
    lostsoul15204

lostsoul15204 HB User
    I have been on neurontin for close to 2 years now and I find it a miracle drug for nerve pain and mood elevater. III startet with 100mg 3 time a day and within 4 months I was on 3600 mgs a day, I am sorry you had bad side effects but It has really helped me a lot. Cronic lower back and leg pain and stabbing behind left shoulder. I am also on methadone 90 mg per day because neurontin alone can't touch my pain post surgery anterior lumbar discectomy with bone chip fusion which did not take, good luck with the neurontin

------------------
    Rick

Old 09-25-2003, 12:46 AM   #11
    bme1361

bme1361 HB User
    Thanks for the reply Rick. I did start taking Neurontin again and I think it is helping. I'm taking 300mg twice a day to start. During the day It's ok, but I still don't sleep at night because of the pain. The doctor said we can increase it if needed. Good luck to you.
    Bev.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User
    Have any of you experienced weight gain while taking neurontin? I've read that it can cause quite severe weight gain, and so that has discouraged me from trying it. I don't want to add to my problems!

Old 09-30-2003, 07:41 AM   #13
    dwpavlik
    Inactive

dwpavlik HB User
    Cool

Hello again
    I don't want to be a downer on Neurontin too much. But when they put me on all of the signal blockers I gained 100 pounds. All due to the idea that signal blockers are better for us than real meds. They are also very poisonous by comparison than real pain meds. You ned to check your liver blood work twice per year. Make sure your doctor cares about your overall health as well as pain control too. I did not know what was going on when they started me on this stuff in 86. I thought I had done something horrible. But I eat like a bird. And I always have. These drugs slow down your metabolism greatly. So please read and study the side affects and the warning signs to make sure you are one of the people that can take signal blockers without complications. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif
    **** I just saw a commercial No Kidding. It said” If you know of anyone who has committed suicide while on Neurontin Please call > WOW what an eye opener what other bad things can be coming from this latest over prescribed medicine.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:28 PM   #14
    cbjordan
    (female)

cbjordan HB User
    Good to know that this can affect the liver, none of my drs. ever mentioned this to me.

Celia

Old 10-07-2003, 09:18 AM   #15
    chrickersmom

chrickersmom HB User
    Smile

Hello,My son has been on neurontin for several months(after being taken off Tegretol)when he first started it gave him terrible gas.He takes it for seisures.I had to make sure it was given to him w/ ameal and not just a cup of milk.He seems to be tolerating it ok now-hope this helps!Does anyone know anything about Trileptal?Thanks!!!

Closed Thread