It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Is stiffness common to SFN

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
    Oliejune
    (female)

Oliejune HB User
    Is stiffness common to SFN

I am wondering if stiffness in the legs is a common problem with SFN. I am so stiff , and I have difficulty climbing stairs and rising from a sitting position. I mostly hear of burning and stinging , numbness , pins and needles and pain as being symptoms of SFN, and I have all of the above, but what about stiffness ? Anyone ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    Re: Is stiffness common to SFN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oliejune View Post
    I am wondering if stiffness in the legs is a common problem with SFN. I am so stiff , and I have difficulty climbing stairs and rising from a sitting position. I mostly hear of burning and stinging , numbness, pins and needles and pain as being symptoms of SFN, and I have all of the above, but what about stiffness ? Anyone ?
    Interesting question.

For me(But I'm still undiagnosed) the answer would be: NO. Small fibers don't involve motor issues(large fibers related), like the ones you're mentioning.

I've read that some conditions, like CDIP can give you both motor and sensory affectation. Can't tell if this stands true for SFN, but there are several SFN diagnosed people in here that could give us some answers on this subject.

Have you got an EMG/NCV test? This could confirm motor fiber(large fibers) involvement.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
    Oliejune
    (female)

Oliejune HB User

Thanks Stargrave, for replying. Please tell me, what is CDIP ? I am trying hard to piece everything together myself. It seems that the nature of medicine these days is that you see a different doctor for each problem, and sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.I have had an EMG . It was negative for neuropathy ,as it is with SFN.The reading for my left leg was abnormal, which is consistent with the problem I have with the nerve root at S1.I just know that this is a curious disease, and I sympathize with everyone who suffers from it .Thanks again, Oliejune

Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User

Quote:
    Oliejune;4310029]Thanks Stargrave, for replying. Please tell me, what is CDIP ? I am trying hard to piece everything together myself. It seems that the nature of medicine these days is that you see a different doctor for each problem, and sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.I have had an EMG . It was negative for neuropathy ,as it is with SFN.The reading for my left leg was abnormal, which is consistent with the problem I have with the nerve root at S1.I just know that this is a curious disease, and I sympathize with everyone who suffers from it .Thanks again, Oliejune
    Here is a bit of information:

Quote:
    Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) is an acquired immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system. The disorder is sometimes called chronic relapsing polyneuropathy. CIDP is closely related to Guillain-Barré syndrome and it is considered the chronic counterpart of that acute disease. Its symptoms are also similar to progressive inflammatory neuropathy.

The pathologic hallmark of the disease is loss of the myelin sheath (the fatty covering that protects nerve fibers) of the peripheral nerves.
    Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy is believed to be due to immune cells, cells which normally protect the body from foreign infection, but here begin incorrectly attacking the nerves in the body instead. As a result, the affected nerves fail to respond, or respond only weakly, to stimuli causing numbing, tingling, pain, progressive muscle weakness, loss of deep tendon reflexes (areflexia), fatigue, and abnormal sensations. The likelihood of progression of the disease is high.
    Both Prednisone and IVG treatment, and also plasmapheresis, are the first line of treatment, as it is the case of GBS.

Curiously enough as GBS is an acute form, it's often better treated in a hospital, due to it's dramatic presentation, on the other hand CDIP if often under-diagnosed and under-treated, because of it's pretty variable presentation.

This affects both small fibers(sensorial) and long fibers(motor), so it is a pretty good match for may people in here, like me.

The thing is that, as two of the treatments often include hospitalization(at least during the process), and corticosteroids like prednisone can give you a great array of unwanted adverse effects, the doctors wait till last minute, to call it a CDIP, and even worse, some doctors don't even know it well.

My neurologist told me that, if my condition continues to progress, both a lumbar puncture, and nerve biopsy(the last definitive test) will be the next steps before deciding to give me one of the above treatments.

This is both because they can worsen your overall condition if they're not required, and also they're the last trial treatment, that they can "test" in you to see if your condition improve, before declaring your neuropathy as "idiopathic"(of unknown cause), where a symptoms' control treatment is the only choice.

Finally. in your case, as you do have something detected, that could cause your motor issues, I have to believe that this is the cause for your movement and strength issues.

Last edited by stargrave; 08-18-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Closed Thread