It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neurogel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
    Dancinboots
    Veteran
    (female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
    Neurogel

Has anyone tried NeuraGel on your feet and did it help you? Are there any other over the counter products you have tried for neuropathy that helped you? Actually there is a compound prescription called Neurogel that I believe is about the same.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 04-19-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
    AZ gurlie
    (female)

AZ gurlie HB UserAZ gurlie HB User
    Re: Neurogel

I have used the prescription one. In fact, I am going to call my dr. tomorrow and ask for a refill. I am almost out so instead of 3x a day I am using it sparingly to make it last longer. I really could use it 3x a day because that is when I noticed the pain level down some. I also have the lidocaine & something else cream but I don't think it works as well.
    Good luck!
    J

Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
    notarunner
    (female)

notarunner HB User

Is NeuraGel the same thing as Neuragen PN Topical solution just a different form? I bought it today at Walgreens, it was on sale for $19.99, I got a coupon for $5 off from their website. You have to call the company get a coupon code which you use to get a coupon sent to you via email. I have applied it twice so far today and I can say that I have felt noticeable improvement from using it. You only need a few drops though since it is so highly concentrated. I can not say it will work for everyone but for me it has helped with burning, tingling and stabbing feelings I have in my feet.

Another thing to mention is that it does have a "floral" ordor as they describe it. The scent did not bother me or anyone I have been in contact with today but I figured I would let you know.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-21-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
    Dancinboots
    Veteran
    (female)

azgurlie:

So it was the Neurogel compound prescription that you have tried? My pod gave me a couple of samples to try and if it helps me he will write me a script for a prescription. I have been suffering with nerve damage in the ball of my foot following mortons neuroma surgery 3 years ago and have not found anything or anybody that can give me an answer to my problem. I am more or less being told "there's not much they can do about it." I'm hoping that the neurogel will help.
    Anything you can think of and then some I have tried with no relief from the annoying chronic nerve problem I live with 24-7. I have only been using the neurogel for a few days. What kind of problem are you dealing with and how long before the neurogel starting helping you?

notarunner:

The neura gel is the same as the neuragen only a gel form instead of an oil. What are you using it for? How long before you noticed it helping you?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
    AZ gurlie
    (female)

Dancin - I WAS dealing with plantar fasciitis. After being in a boot for 10 weeks and non-weight bearing, the pain was getting far worse instead of better. I decided to get more opinions. I finally found a dr. who would listen to me (yeah!) and we have discovered the plantar fasciitis is healed and that my pain is nerve related. =( The believe it is either a pinched nerve in my lower back or CRPS. I have had 2 bilateral lumbar sympathetic blocks so far (first worked 5 hrs, 2nd worked 8 hrs). I have another scheduled for next week. Anyway, I was given the cream to try and help (was SO happy to have a dr. take my pain seriously!). I used it 3x/day religiously for about 3 days before I noticed I felt almost human (of course I also was taking tramadol). I have found that if I use it 3x/day, it takes enough of the edge off of the burning/pain/sensitivity (from socks, shoes, wind, cold, etc) that I don't have to take much else. It is when I have lessened the use of it that I have had more pain, or when I overdo it. (which isn't hard to do) I put it on my feet, ankles, and on the new spot on my leg just above my knee. Like I said, it takes the edge off so I can usually handle things better.

This cream is something that has to be mixed at a compounding pharmacy. It is more like a lotion than an oil.

Do you have any other symptoms other than pain? maybe skin color changes, sensitivity to air movement or light touch, burning, abnormal nail/hair growth or non growth? Just curious.
    Hope this helps you.
    J

Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
    Dancinboots
    Veteran
    (female)

J

What I am experiencing is more of a feeling of bunched up nerves in the ball of my foot, not really a sharp pain or anything. Sometimes it feels like I am walking on broken up seashells. So darn hard to explain a nerve disturbance to anyone. They all must think you are mental and imagining it! I am so happy that you have found a doc who takes you seriously. Most of the ones I have dealt with just act like they don't know what you are talking about and are eager to send you on to "someone else" I think part of it is they don't want to try to "fix" a problem that possibly the surgeon is responsible for. What's the worst about a foot problem is that you feel it with every step you take, unlike other problems that people have where they can't really "feel" their problem 24/7.

Even the"top doc" who did my surgery never has been able to help me. All he suggested was accupuncture (which I tried that didn't help) and also a pain clinic. I have also tried custom orthotics (which help a little, padding, injections (which may have contributed to a loss of fat pad in my foot) I am not interested in being doped up with drugs at a pain clinic that could possibly create more problems. The bad nerve problem I had before the surgery just continued after the surgery. Go figure!

I have no skin color changes, but sensitivity is a good way to describe the feeling. If I could desensitize my foot, I think I would notice relief. The neuragel sample that the pod gave me is actually a gel, not a lotion or oil. It was mixed at a compounding pharmacy and given to the pod in small sample jars. If I find it helping I will get a prescription.

Thanks for replying and I wish "us" both some relief soon!

Sharon

Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
    AZ gurlie
    (female)

Dancin - Have they considered desensitization PT? I know when I have my blocks I go right to PT and have this. They rub harder, stretch each join in my feet, use different textures over my feet, etc. She also recommends I put my feet in a big bowl of rice during the week to work on those textures. I do think it is helping...slow...but helping. =) I am sorry about the fat pad issue too...I have had 1 cortisone shot in my worst foot (both are bad but one is worse). I was so worried about the fat pad...and the shot didn't work anyway, so I refused anymore. (that was when they thought it was plantar fasciitis).
    I understand the feet being bad. You have to walk on them everyday and the pain can be so bad! I actually have a temp. handicapped thing for my car so I don't have to walk further than needed. I find my mornings are better but as the day progresses it gets bad. Basically I have only so many steps everyday and I have to prioritize what is most important, so don't look at my house. LOL. I have chosen that taking my 4 yr old to the park, date night with dh, etc is more important. =)
    Hang in there.
    J

The following user gives a hug of support to AZ gurlie:
    Dancinboots (04-24-2011)
    Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
    notarunner
    (female)

notarunner HB User

Dancinboots,
    I am using the neuragen topical solution to treat what I (and my chiropractor) think is sural nerve entrapment. My history is two stress fractures in my left foot, three weeks of healing time and then both feet my small toes, sides of feet and the top are giving me sensations of pain/tingling/burning/pulling. My podiatrist and my orthopedist sorta dismissed it as well have a MRI if you want. So yes I am going to have the MRI to rule anything else out but the symptoms and their location is described word for word in what I have read so far. I know there are nerve tests etc but I have to go through the motions first I suppose.

I felt some relief from the solution after two applications about 2-3 hours apart. I read that the solution is more concentrated than the gel so it might work better/faster?? Now I just apply it as needed. I also have another gel that was prescribed for inflammation I have been using it but honestly i don't know if it really working. No pain meds help at all.

Well that is all for now. I wish you feel better soon.

hugs
    notarunner

The following user gives a hug of support to notarunner:
    Dancinboots (04-24-2011)
    Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
    Dancinboots
    Veteran
    (female)

AZ gurlie:

Who did the desensitize treatment? Was it through the pain clinic and do you think it helped "desensitize" the nerves at all? What kind of textures do they use for the treatment? When you put your foot in the rice bowl I assume you move your foot around in the the rice?? Once I went to therapy and they had me doing towel scrunches, picking up marbles with my toes and also rolling my foot over a soft tennis ball. (Maybe I will try them again) anything to desensitize the nerves Have you been to a neurolgist and if so what did they do for you? I do think you have your priorities in order..taking your 4 year old to the park and of date night with dh.

Notarunner:

Thanks for the reply. What kind of treatment did your chiropractor offer you and did help you? I was going to one up to 3 weeks ago and he did some adjustments on my foot, also on my back. He said if your back is out of line it can cause alot of other problems. I also had tens treament for the nerves on the foot. I went for about 6 weeks and sorry to say nothing helped. I also have thought about nerve conduction study. I don't know if that would shed any light on my problem or not.

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU BOTH

Last edited by Dancinboots; 04-24-2011 at 06:45 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dancinboots:
    notarunner (04-24-2011)
    Old 04-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
    notarunner
    (female)

notarunner HB User

Dancinboots,

I have scoliosis so my chiropractor did the activator method on my back, legs, hips (down in my butt too), neck, foot (the one with the fractures she left alone). I agree that an out of line back can mess people up. I don't know a lot about the spine really but I know she explained to me that she worked a lot on my lower back L4 and L5. I go back again tomorrow. She mentioned I should get orthotics for my arches since she said stress fractures of the metatarsals could be a sign of falling arches. When she adjusted my foot I felt relief immediately but it was short lived. All in all I have more relief today than yesterday and the day before etc but still not like I was just 2 weeks ago. I am not crying or yelling out in pain and I can fall asleep now but things do not feel right. I am so tired of resting and keeping my feet elevated. I really want this to get better so I can focus on my goal of getting pregnant.

I wish you luck! I will let you know if she says anything else tomorrow that helps. Maybe if you try the neuragen solution it will help more than the gel?

Happy Easter to you too!

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-24-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
    Matchfoot
    (female)

Matchfoot HB User

The gel sounds promising. I've got chronic demyelinating inflam. polyneuropathy among other things! The intense pain caused me to fall forward when jolted by PN!! Lidoderm patches usually quell my worst neuropathic foot pain. Blessings, Val

Closed Thread