It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Switching from Neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
    Switching from Neurontin

to Lyrica...I'm currently on 1200mg of Neurontin 3 times a day...have a new script for 75mg of Lyrica 2 times a day.

Talked w/the nurse last night and she said to ween off the Neurontin I need to take 800mg 2 times a day for 3 days...then 400mg 1 time a day for 3 days and after that go to my 75mg of Lyrica 2 times a day.

I just don't know how I'm going to do going from 3600mg of Neurontin to 800mg....that is a HUGE drop and not sure I can handle how I'm going to feel.

Anyone else made this switch and if so how did you make the change?

Thanks in advance.
    J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
    Ihate2w8
    (female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User
    Re: Switching from Neurontin

I was on 3k of the Gabapentine & switched to Lyrica. I was taking 3 pills in the morning, 3 in the afternoon & 4 at night. My neurologist had me start the Lyrica one pill a day for 3 days, then 2 for 3 & finally to my full dosage of 3 pills per day.

At the same time I decreased my gabapentine by one pill every 5 days until I was done with it.

Doing it this way the "withdrawal" was small to non-existent. It's a slow process but the best way to do it.

I wish you the best & I hope the Lyrica works for you.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ihate2w8 View Post
    I was on 3k of the Gabapentine & switched to Lyrica. I was taking 3 pills in the morning, 3 in the afternoon & 4 at night. My neurologist had me start the Lyrica one pill a day for 3 days, then 2 for 3 & finally to my full dosage of 3 pills per day.

At the same time I decreased my gabapentine by one pill every 5 days until I was done with it.

Doing it this way the "withdrawal" was small to non-existent. It's a slow process but the best way to do it.

I wish you the best & I hope the Lyrica works for you.
    Now this sounds MUCH better then what they suggested....going from 3600mg a day to 800mg is crazy!!!

I'm only taking 2 a day..but I'm going to try it the way you did...I'm hoping all goes well and the Lyrica works as well for me now as it did a few years back.

Thanks so much for your reply...I do appreciate it.
    J

Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
    captinsane1
    (male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

Hello RP, made the switch a couple of times. I'm pretty sure my pain mgt. team did about what you described except they had me start taking small dosages of Lyrica at the same time. What you described sounds like what a patient would do if they were just getting off Neurontin for good and no Lyrica but that's just my Doctor. It sounds more logical they way my doctor did it. After all Lyrica is just the new and improved Neurontin. Dont freak out but they currently have me on 600 mg of Lyrica daily, that is the maximum allowable, most folks are on 400mg or less daily. Just for your info, Lyrica is the medication that reduces the burning sensation which I much appreciate. Goodluck with the change.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by captinsane1 View Post
    Hello RP, made the switch a couple of times. I'm pretty sure my pain mgt. team did about what you described except they had me start taking small dosages of Lyrica at the same time. What you described sounds like what a patient would do if they were just getting off Neurontin for good and no Lyrica but that's just my Doctor. It sounds more logical they way my doctor did it. After all Lyrica is just the new and improved Neurontin. Dont freak out but they currently have me on 600 mg of Lyrica daily, that is the maximum allowable, most folks are on 400mg or less daily. Just for your info, Lyrica is the medication that reduces the burning sensation which I much appreciate. Goodluck with the change.
    Which way? The way my doctor suggested or the way Ihate2w8 posted?

I was on Lyrica for years until my Ins wouldn't pay about 2yrs ago...I liked the Lyrica and hoping it helps me.

I would LOVE something for the numbness

Hope you are well and thanks for replying.
    J

Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
    captinsane1
    (male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

Sorry RP, I didn't see Ihate2w8's post, his method seems absolutely right on. LOL, I wouldn't of even posted if I had seen his post. I think its just a matter of tapering off one slowly while slowly getting on the other one. Sorry to jump in their and confuse the whole issue. Goodluck RP

Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Sorry RP, I didn't see Ihate2w8's post, his method seems absolutely right on. LOL, I wouldn't of even posted if I had seen his post. I think its just a matter of tapering off one slowly while slowly getting on the other one. Sorry to jump in their and confuse the whole issue. Goodluck RP
    OK cool....I trust people who have done/lived it rather then the nurse esp since her way seemed WAY messed up.

Thanks again and hope you are well.
    J

Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
    captinsane1
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RisingParrot View Post
    Which way? The way my doctor suggested or the way Ihate2w8 posted?

I was on Lyrica for years until my Ins wouldn't pay about 2yrs ago...I liked the Lyrica and hoping it helps me.

I would LOVE something for the numbness

Hope you are well and thanks for replying.
    J
    Cherish the numbness feeling RP, it is so much better than the pain and burning.I wish the nerves of mine that are just damaged would go ahead and die and turn pain into numbness. I know what you mean though, numbness is bad because of injury and balance problems that it brings. Have a good one RP

The Following User Says Thank You to captinsane1 For This Useful Post:
    RisingParrot (07-09-2011)
    Old 07-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Cherish the numbness feeling RP, it is so much better than the pain and burning.I wish the nerves of mine that are just damaged would go ahead and die and turn pain into numbness. I know what you mean though, numbness is bad because of injury and balance problems that it brings. Have a good one RP
    I get what you mean...it is weird...I usually start w/pain in my legs and burning w/numb hands...and it seems if I don't walk/move enough is when my feet/legs feel like numb logs.

I did cut a dose of Neurontin and took my first Lyrica about an hour ago...have my fingers crossed

Hope you are well.
    J

Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
    captinsane1
    (male)

RP I think you will like the Lyrica , just taking a much smaller dosage is nice. Have a great weekend.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    RP I think you will like the Lyrica , just taking a much smaller dosage is nice. Have a great weekend.
    Thanks Captinsane...I loved it before so hoping it works its wonders again for me...

Hope you are well.
    J

Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Unhappy Re: Switching from Neurontin

So far I'm on day 3 of the switch...took my Neurontin @ 6:30a....will take my Lyrica @ 11a and then Neurontin @ 3p....That will make me have cut 2pills(take 2 600mgs per dose) for the 3rd day...

I had an AWFUL night...my pain was the worst its been in probably years...and could NOT sleep...talking maybe 3 or 4 hours all night...and when I would my twitching would wake me up.

Not liking the switch yet...I'm at work now and let my coworkers know I might be a bit cranky(I'm almost always that happy go lucky guy)..hope today goes fast and w/o issue.

Thanks again for everyone's help/suggestions w/this.

Hope everyone is well.
    J

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
    Ihate2w8
    (female)

I'm so sorry that you had a bad night. I hope that your body accepts the switch soon for you so that you aren't in so much discomfort. Thinking of you & hoping you find relief soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ihate2w8 For This Useful Post:
    RisingParrot (07-11-2011)
    Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ihate2w8 View Post
    I'm so sorry that you had a bad night. I hope that your body accepts the switch soon for you so that you aren't in so much discomfort. Thinking of you & hoping you find relief soon.
    Morning...thanks so much for the kind words...I'm hoping so too...I do understand that I'm on day 3...so is going to take some more time BUT yesterday was awful and the not sleeping just adds to my pressure

I don't like being cranky/in a bad mood...I'm ALWAYS that happy/half full guy.

I hope you have a great day.
    J

Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
    Ihate2w8
    (female)

Don't be hard on yourself. You're still the happy/half full guy, it's just right now you're in some serious pain & discomfort.

Have you tried the Capzasin? I just wonder if that will bring some relief while you're in this transition.

I hope you have a better night tonight & are able to get some rest as well as sleep.

Closed Thread