It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Diagnosis Confirmed!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
    WorkingDad
    (male)

WorkingDad HB User
    Lightbulb Diagnosis Confirmed!!

As I said in an earlier thread, I am waiting for my appointment for an EMG and Neurologist, which are both scheduled soon.

But here is where things start to get interesting for me. On my initial appointment at the Cleveland Clinic it was suggested to me to see a Rheumatologist. I had already seen two other Rheumatologists from other medical facilities and was told that autoimmune disorders were ruled out. So, I guess you could say I was a "doubting Thomas". I went to the appointment with such doubts of any good coming out of this; I thought what a waste of my time, not to mention missing work.

After all of the test and wondering if I was just talking myself into these symptoms, I finally had a diagnosis confirmed: fibromyalgia. It is such a peace of mind just to have something to work with, something to focus on with a treatment plan.

I still have the EMG and Neurologist evaluation to go, but I feel like I might just be at a point to get a little excited!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
    Re: Diagnosis Confirmed!!

I have a few friends w/Fibro...as well as Kath possibly having it...some are on Lyrica..so use a Chiro/get Acupuncture for relief....

Glad you have an answer...now to find out what works best for you. I hope you find that answer out fast.

Hope you have a great Tuesday.
    J

Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
    awlright
    (male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User

WorkingDad, hang in there and do not be upset if the EMG test provides another dx. That's quite common when dealing with autoimmune disorders. I've talked to almost everyone that goes to the clinic where I am treated and was surprised to learn that most had 3 and 4 different dx. I have the symptoms treated but my last dx was idiopathic, which means they don't know. But due to treatment I am able to get about with reduced pain and after two years I have come to feel I can live with it. All the best, Awlright

Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
    Ruby8
    (female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi WorkingDad - Since there are no tests to confirm a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, doctors make this diagnosis only based on the patient's description of the symptoms (and perhaps when they can't think of a different answer). In an earlier post, you had mentioned that you had numbness in your arms, and I don't think numbness is associated with fibromyalgia. So, I might think you have something neuropathic going on rather than having fibromyalgia. Remember also that if your EMG test is negative, you could still have small fiber neuropathy (SFN), which doesn't show up on an EMG test. Hopefully your neurologist will have some expertise in neuropathy (some neurologists don't). Best of luck to you in figuring this out. - Ruby

Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
    WorkingDad
    (male)

WorkingDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by awlright View Post
    WorkingDad, hang in there and do not be upset if the EMG test provides another dx. That's quite common when dealing with autoimmune disorders. I've talked to almost everyone that goes to the clinic where I am treated and was surprised to learn that most had 3 and 4 different dx. I have the symptoms treated but my last dx was idiopathic, which means they don't know. But due to treatment I am able to get about with reduced pain and after two years I have come to feel I can live with it. All the best, Awlright
    I agree with what you are saying, I will not be surprised at all with any additional dx.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
    WorkingDad
    (male)

WorkingDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruby8 View Post
    Hi WorkingDad - Since there are no tests to confirm a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, doctors make this diagnosis only based on the patient's description of the symptoms (and perhaps when they can't think of a different answer). In an earlier post, you had mentioned that you had numbness in your arms, and I don't think numbness is associated with fibromyalgia. So, I might think you have something neuropathic going on rather than having fibromyalgia. Remember also that if your EMG test is negative, you could still have small fiber neuropathy (SFN), which doesn't show up on an EMG test. Hopefully your neurologist will have some expertise in neuropathy (some neurologists don't). Best of luck to you in figuring this out. - Ruby
    Thanks Miss Ruby for the kind advice. Yes, I have lots of numbness. I've had a feeling I am looking at something in the 'neuro' family of diagnosis as well.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
    autoimmune disorder, emg, fibromyalgia, neurologist, rhuematologist