It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Tingling for over a year

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
    sensoryissues
    (female)

sensoryissues HB User
    Tingling for over a year

Hello all, I am reaching out to this forum in hopes of getting some advice since I am completely at a loss on what to do next. First off, I am a 29 year old who started with tingling about a year ago. I started it with just on my arms/hands, and slowly but surely within a rapid few months it was all over my body. Now it is mainly in the face/upper body, and legs. I have felt all kinds of sensory issues, from random buzzing, pricking, tingling, crawling, etc. to simply just the feeling of cold water droplets hitting my legs or sitting down and thinking I sat in something wet but my seat was dry. It's now gotten to the point of waking up 4-5 a night, frequent urination, muscle stiffness and joint pain. I've noticed when I look down, am in the heat, or have my arms extended in front of me I feel the tingles more. If I press my skin and let go it makes them worse, and if I fan myself or have cool air blowing on me, I can mask the sensations.

I've been to two neurologists who have both said that 'neurogically' I am fine, but I haven't had any MRIs done. I suppose they are going by how talkative I am, my reflexes, and how my motor function is okay. The things the neuros have tested so far have been: vitamin deficiences (they found that my vitamin D was low so I started a supplement which I've been on for several months and I still tingle), they've done an EMG and Nerve Conduction Study which came back normal. At that time, the neuro told me that since my NCS came back normal that I didn't have carpal tunnel or a pinched nerve, or any atrophy. I was tested for Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, TSH levels for thyroid, PCOS, and they all came back normal or negative. I also had a Cervical Neck X-ray. I have flat out asked if I could have an MRI of something, whether it's cervical or brain just to be on the safe side, and I have been told no because they don't see the need from my neurological exam.

I suffer from early diabetes (no medication), hypertension (which I take medication for), obesity (currently in the process of losing weight), arthritis, and GERD. I do suffer from irregular menstrual cycles (last one having gone 6 months without.) I have heard that it could be stress and anxiety, early onset of diabetic neuropathy (too early to pick up on an EMG), small fiber neuropathy, or even fibromyalgia. I've tried Gabapentin for 3 months with no improvement, and now I am currently on a small dosage of Elavil.

My questions are, if the neurologist I am currently seeing refuses to send me for an MRI, should I just take their word for it and trust that it's probably not a neurological issue? Should I push for a cervical neck MRI even though my X-ray came back normal? Has anyone else had any of these problems and can offer some type of advice? Please please respond. I feel like I am at a loss and don't know what to do. I know I am young but I feel like my quality of life is just declining from having to deal with constant tingles. It's such a bother and if I'm stressed about anything at all it's trying to find out what's been causing these things for the past year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
    Re: Tingling for over a year

It is always a good idea to get another opinion....since being diagnosed w/PN in 07 I've seen 4 different Neurologists...do what you think is the best for YOU!!!!

Hope you have a good Monday.
    J

Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

I think you should press to get the MRI studies done.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
    kcferret
    (female)

kcferret HB User

Just out of curiosity might I ask why they checked you for PCOS (I'm assuming Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome here). I have very similar symptoms as you do but lump a huge old pile of chronic fatigue on top and Occipital nerve irritation/neck spasms. My tests all come back gleaming as well including MRIs but I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago but supposedly it was "self regulating" and I never had issues having any kids. Heck if my husband looked at me too hard I got preggers it was that easy...

Closed Thread