It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• peripheral neuropathy in legs, back, and arms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
    Helpinlongmont
    (male)

Helpinlongmont HB User
    peripheral neuropathy in legs, back, and arms

Dear Health Board Viewers
    I had an injury to my low back two years ago from intense physical excercise. The first symptom was burning in the feet. Next came low back pain and burning in the buttocks. Eventually the burning pain has spread to the mid to upper back and now with burning in the hands. It got to the point where I could not stand or sit, or lay on my back for very long. MRI's, CT's, and Xrays only showed pars defect at L5-S1, spondylolisthesis (grade I) and mild degenerative disc disease at L4 with annular tearing. Discogram positive for both levels, negative at L3. After 15 months of conservative treatments (ESI, yoga, pilates, chiro, massage, acupuncture, trigger points, PT, aquatherapy) I was not any better. I had L4-S1 fusion in Dec 2010 (ALIF). The fusion seemed to greatly agrevate the nerves especially on the left side. I fused pretty fast (4 months), however I continue to deal with this neuropathic pain. The only things that temper the burning pain are opioids, musle relaxers, and Lyrica (marginal benefit) and never being in one position for too long. Ice packs help too. Gabapentin does not work. I can't work because I in constant pain while I sit or stand. When I stand, the burning and cramping in the feet and shins hurt. I can only walk about 10 minutes and then burning increases. When I sleep at night, I feel burning in the back, arms and hands. I'm only 41 and have 5 girls a lovely wife of 15 years. Pain Management doctors believe spinal cord stimulation may help. However an implanted stimulator will only address low back, legs, and feet. I guess I could get another one for my arms and hands (however, arm and hand pain are not as bad). My concern is that the stimulator does not address the problem, it onlys masks the symptoms. I'm not diabetic. I take vitamin B12 along with Lyrica. Cymbalta didn't work. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. Thanks.

Help in Longmont

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
    dkwk
    (female)

dkwk HB User
    Question Re: peripheral neuropathy in legs, back, and arms

Hi! I have some of the same symptoms. It is in my arms, legs, back, and feet. The back portion just started about 3 weeks ago. Do you experience any twitching in your body? I have that too. I take Gabapentin. It helps some. My dr wants me to try Cymbalta but I am very nervous. I have 2 girls and a wonderful husband. It is so frustrating. I had back pain before this all started with horrible spasms. Then they found an infection in one of my spinal discs. Not sure if that is a cause for anything. The drs don't know take care.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
    Searcher472
    (male)

Searcher472 HB User
    Re: peripheral neuropathy in legs, back, and arms

I just developed the same symptoms the first of August. I get relief for sleeping from Klonopin, which I have been taking since early 2010 for fasciculation (vibrating/miniscule twitching). I can also get relief from Tramadol, but it cannot be a long term solution - it is for breakthrough pain, and it seems that every time I wean myself off it, the symptoms are worse than when I started it. So I plan for no more. I intend to stay away from Neuronton, Lyrica, or Cymbalta unless I get to where I have no choice.

Fortunately I have recently retired, but I am really unable to leave the house for more than a couple hours. I have to lie down on the side that hurts less.

If I get a solution, I will let you know.

One question - how many MRI's with contrast have you had? Have you had a 24-hour urine test for hiigh levels of Gadolinium? I have. It is not good but no one knows all the effects, and there is absolutely no treatment for it.

Closed Thread