It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Post ulnar nerve surgery pain and bizarre sensations in left hand

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
    SamNise
    (male)

SamNise HB User
    Smile Post ulnar nerve surgery pain and bizarre sensations in left hand

I underwent ulnar nerve transposition surgery in May 2010 (going on two years ago) for cubital tunnel syndrome in my left hand. Prior to undergoing the surgery I was experiencing numbness on the left side of my left hand including my pinky finger and half the finger next to it. My orthapaedic surgeon advised that I ad no choice but to undergo surgery as if I did not, I would in time lose the use of my left hand, and in good faith I trusted his advice.

It is now going on two years later and my hand is still quite numb (perhaps a small improvement in the numbness aspect, but I have been living with chronic pain in my left hand, which is with me for all my waking hours. In addition, I live with (I will try describe to best of my ability) a permanent very compressed/tight feeling on left side of left hand and pinky and finger next to it. I spend my waking hours,moving my two left fingers around in a desperate attempt to make this tight feeling go away, but it never does. I am no longer even aware that Im doing this and although by now I know it doesnt help at all, I still do it. Apart from the pain, compression and bizarre sensations in my left hand is the embarrasment of people staring at this bizarre involuntary movement (looks like edward scissor hands without the scissors). This has devastated my quality of life and the pain is so intense that it often takes me ages to fall asleep.

I have been for two MRI scans and frustratingly nothing shows up on the scan. If I could only display on a projector what I am feeling in my hand and fingers, but I cant and its as though this is all in my mind, but for me its very real and very painful. I have been to see four other hand surgeons along the way who have said that my hand would heal with time, it has not and I dont know where to turn. Im told that follow up surgery is not possible.

Had I known that i was trading minor numbness in my left hand for permanent pain, unbearable compression and involuntary finger movement, and a numb patch the size of canada in myt left elbow where he operated on me, I would most certainly not have undergone this nightmare surgery and would have been happy to take my chances with loss of use in my left hand over time. In any event I still in addition still have numbness.

I have looked on the web for someone who may be experiencing these specific post ulnar nerve surgery symptoms but to no avail. Something is very very wrong.

Any advice would be welcome

The Following User Says Thank You to SamNise For This Useful Post:
    Ashmanton (06-05-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
    Kezd
    (male)

Kezd HB User
    Re: Post ulnar nerve surgery pain and bizarre sensations in left hand

Hello Sam,

I severed my ulnar nerve 4 months ago and I believe I know what feeling you're talking about. It isn't exactly painful for me anymore, but I can understand how one could describe it as tight or compressed. To me, it feels like I still feel my pinky, although I can't, and its wrapped in some tight cloth or something, a little like when you wrap some string tightly around the base of a finger for a while. That feeling is also present in a small area on my palm right underneath the pinky and ring finger, where other nerves start providing sensory input again. So basically everywhere the ulnar nerve is supposed to be.

I don't think the feeling is real, there is nothing there to sense the pain in your fingers anymore anyway. I think its just that our brain knows that the finger is there, but it cant feel it, which creates this strange sensation. Just try to restrain your fingers and keep them from moving and you should be kinda okay. I have developed the habit of putting my hand under my left thigh whenever I sit, because its good to feel the rest of the hand under pressure as well, and I should get rid of that as well. The feeling won't go away, so try ignoring it, and eventually you wont notice it anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kezd For This Useful Post:
    Ashmanton (06-05-2012)
    Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
    Ashmanton
    (male)

Ashmanton HB User
    Re: Post ulnar nerve surgery pain and bizarre sensations in left hand

Hi guys

Here's my story, I used to do alot of moto x in my youth an early 20s resulting in me having both ulnar nerves released. Both ops went very well until may 2011 when I cycling back from Rome in Italy back to Birmingham in the uk which resulted in my left arm tingling again all down the forearm when pressed or leaned on. I went to see my surgeon and we decided to open from the elbow almost down to the wrist. First it went well until I realised my hand when was in complete pain. I went back an the surgeon told me my nerve was very "flat" and part of it was deseased. My day to day results in my hand looking rather like a 70 yr olds due to muscle astropy setting in losing muscle between my thumb and finger and between my knuckles. My palm and both my fingers are in complete tightness all day every day and the little finger starts to curl over but when held back it gives it a sense of relief an normality.

To be honest I hope something comes up because I'm dreading the future as I'm almost 30 now and living with this day to day is not my ideal life. Hope this sheds some life that there is other people like it and it's quite good to see because nobody actually realises what sort of pain it is other that sensitive to touch and tightness. Sounds not to bad but in reality it's horrible and shaken my hand every 2 minutes it's not the best.

Closed Thread