It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Virus and Relapse and Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    Virus and Relapse and Symptoms

Long time no post.

So briefly this is me(you can read my posts for more detail):

Peripheral Neuropathy, unknown origin, tested for everything in the blood works, negative, COntrasted MRI, negative, no chemicals, not injuries, no high blood sugar levels, just high lipids both cholesterol and triglycerides(still little up), and thats about it.

Diagnosis based on an abnormal EMG/NCV findings, which showed no active denervation. Also by low reflexes both on legs and arms, pretty much symmetrical, but affecting more the legs.

Symptoms: Everything in the book, but started with weakness and numbness(thought it was a stroke at first), then pain, pins and needles, twitching, you name it. Not extreme weakness though much more like tiredness, sometimes extreme, like if I worked out for a competition even without any physical activity.

After several treatment combinations, I was able to control it to a great degree, with nothing more than b-12 and gabapentin as main treatment, with a 0.25 mg dose of clonazepam because the anxiety that this whole stuff triggered in me.

I got increased strength with an elliptical cycle, even better than before the neuropathy, with occasional mild to moderate crisis until last week:

Caught a nasty, unidentified virus(they gave me the blood work again), which kept me on a 38 degree(celsius) fever for several days, just as I was beginning to lower my gabapentin dose from three to two daily capsules(Yep, I felt that good)

I was een admited for a day and a half to ER, where they lower my fever but as soon as I get up from bed I was on Jelly legs, and alterated sensitivity on both feet, giving me trouble walking. Needless to say I felt weak all over, as you may expect after the fever days and the hospitalization.

Also needless to say my anxiety blew up the roof, even before I noticed this relapse, which I also notices as some clumsiness in my fingers, pretty much as the first time I got this.

Doctor said that even a bad night sleep could give me a temporary symptom relapse, but this feels a little bit more intense than that.

I'm still virus weak, and muscle weak, but I can jump, stand on one feet, heels, toes, but I'm drained and aching after that, and got some trouble brushing and using forks and spoons. This I haven't felt since almost a year ago or maybe more. This also stands true for some weird burning and/or "wet" sensation in my skin, and the usual numbness. A little extra pain is also in the mix.

The last weird and also long time not felt symptoms are some numbness, tingling and funny sensations in my mouth, chin and nose. This are quite mils and come and go.

Finally I also feel unsteady and dizzy at moments, and pretty normal at others, considering my recovering condition(from the virus).

For now I raised the gabapentin dose again, and my questions are this:

How much can the virus alone cause this and how much can be a part of my already altered nervous system?

As far as I know it's kind of rare that face is involved in PN, any one else with this kind of facial symptoms?

Finally, I was adviced to drink a lot of fluids and rest to get rid of the virus, but this feels slow and now with the added neuropathic sensations it's worse, so... Any advice on how to speed up the virus' infection recovery process?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
    daisymaegrl
    (female)

daisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB User
    Re: Virus and Relapse and Symptoms

Hi star!!
    I am so sorry to hear that you are so sick!! These viruses are very scary, but good for your for getting to the hospital and getting the fever under control.

You really need to keep yourself really well hydrated, that's a must!! Drink, drink, drink!!

I have some strange sensations in my face- my nose is so itchy and feels "swollen" even though it isn't. I have had SFN for 7 years but this nose thing is new. I have very clumsy hands with some tingling too, but I also have Rheumatoid arthritis which really affects my hands. My dr's feel that my neuropathy is autoimmune and the neuropathy is related to the RA. I haven't mentioned the nose thing to my doctor so I really don't know if it is neuropathy related.

I feel for you if you are having increased pain too. Just what you do NOT need when you are coping with a virus. I am one who just could not take gabapentin. It caused my heart to race and extreme migraines. But 3 doctors have tried to give it to me saying it is "electrician's tape" for nerves. I just wish I could take it as these 3 doctors seem to think it is the only thing that will help.

It may take quite a long time for this virus to leave you completely. Don't get discouraged if you are not rebounding as quickly as you think you should be. The virus you had sounds like it was a whopper! Resting is the time when you are healing, so you should really rest a lot. I wish I had more than a few words of sympathy, but I am afraid that is all I can offer. I really think that going to the hospital was a very wise decision!

My neuropathy is probably the worst it has been in several years right now. No idea why! But I try to keep as active as my poor lo' feet will let me be and just motor on through hoping tomorrow will be a better day. My saving grace seems to be the sleeping pills I asked for, and very reluctantly got, as I can't sleep for more than 2 hours without the pain waking me up. That terrible cycle was making everything worse. But now I get 4-5 hours of sleep at night and I feel so much better.

I am sorry you are feeling so poorly but I hope that you will recover soon!! Hopefully this will be a distant memory soon!
    Take good care of yourself and feel better soon!!
    Cheers,
    Daisy

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    Re: Virus and Relapse and Symptoms

Thanks for your response Daisy!

I've fully recovered from the virus and I'm working out up to the point that I'm doing about 7-8 km on an elliptical machine, which is even better than the 6-7 km I was doing prior to the neuropathy.

BUT, I still have many up and downs, like right now with another! mild cold.

Hope you're doing all right. I just wanted to thank you and to post a little something for the board, which the Neuro told me on my last appointment.

Closed Thread