It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Guillain Barre and burning??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
    BlueCrush1983
    (female)

BlueCrush1983 HB User
    Red face Guillain Barre and burning??

I had a severe campylobacter jejuni infection that put me in the bed for a week in October. For 3 months after that I had weird "flu-like" aches and muscle pain. I also had twitching and muscle cramps. For the past month I have had a severe burning sensation all over my body especially in my feet .... I also have some tingling/numbness in random places that usually comes and goes. The neurologist thinks it's a form of GBS. Has anyone else has this?...How long does the burning usually last for and what works for this type of pain???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
    hatemyfeet
    (female)

hatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB User
    Re: Guillain Barre and burning??

Hi Blue, I don't have GBS, but I have severe neuropathy and RSD which both cause horrific burning pain. The best thing I have found for the burning (in my feet) is Lidocaine patches. You need a rx for them but they REALLY help. They numb the skin that you apply them to. I know nothing about GBS, but I would call your Dr tomorrow and see if it is safe for you to use them. My Dr called the script in for me. Ask your Dr if he will do the same for you. Im so sorry you are having this burning pain! It really is horrific. Good luck and I hope you get relief soon. Karen

Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
    EricaK521
    (female)

EricaK521 HB User
    Re: Guillain Barre and burning??

BlueCrush - I am a 31 year old who was diagnosed with GBS in 2008 when my feet and hands began to tingle; within 2 days of the onset of tingling, I was unable to move my legs or arms at all. I did not experience burning at all, but a complete paralysis. I ended up in ICU for 10 days, after which they moved me out of ICU into a regular room for 5 days, followed by a stay in a rehab facility for O/T and P/T. I was confined to a bed as I could NOT move at all. The only "burning" sensation I guess you could say I experienced was after my treatment of IVIG for 5 days when the feeling started to return to my arms and legs. And, my neurologist said that feeling was typical when the paralysis begins to go away after treatment. I have done much research on GBS after having it myself, so I believe that everyone's experience can be very different. Some people recover 100%, while others seem to notice lingering effects for years. In my experience, the only thing I notice in myself is that I can function normally for quite awhile, and then fatique sets in out of the blue. Usually, I'm better after a couple nights of good rest. Exercise does help with muscle strength and general well-being. I hope your problem gets resolved. Good luck to you! Sorry I couldn't help with your question about the burning sensation and what would relieve this.

The following user gives a hug of support to EricaK521:
    June89 (04-11-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to EricaK521 For This Useful Post:
    BlueCrush1983 (03-20-2012)
    Closed Thread