It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Confused and very upset with pain management

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
    lvp714
    (male)

lvp714 HB User
    Angry Confused and very upset with pain management

Hello,

I went to a pain management clinic in Boston around a year and a half ago to get help with increasing pain in both feet, legs, arms and hand. I needed carpal tunnel surgeries on both hands, and had excellent results. Also I need ulnar nerve surgery on one arm but the doctor said due to my age 57 years old, that the surgery would put me out of commission for several months and we will get an eye on it to see it if gets worse over time and for me to be very aware of things that might aggravate it.
    As for the reason I went to pain clinic was for the increasing pain in both feet and legs up to my Knees. My pcp doctor and neurologist won't prescribe any pain meds at all. The pain clinic started me on gabapentin and topamix, with no luck then zoneagram, no luck, then lycrica, no luck. After trying all those different meds with no luck, I was very frustrated and starting to get depressed. The doctor said the last resort was to prescribe pain meds. I was started on 5mg percocets along with 900 mgs 4 x a days and the pain was very tolerable. After 6 months the pain was increasing more due to now I was doing more walking and I was very active, before the pain meds I couldn't due my because the other meds spaced me out and caused me to become more angry to everyone. When I told dr. he increased the dose of percs to 10mgs 1 perc 6 x a day with the same amount of gabapentin. The new dose was what I needed to almost stop pain completely. After several months the pain during the day was very diminished but end of day was very different. When I take my shoes of at the end of day my feet felt frozen or on fire, I couldn't walk or sleep without intense pain. I went back to doctor and it was suggested that maybe I should take a stronger pain med. and I am tired of trying more pain meds. I told him I'm going to stay on the meds I have been prescribed but I'll wait longer before I take them. This added more anxiety and I started to do less things like walking my dog and other things that kept my mind busy. I went to my pcp doctor and explained my situation that I was on pain meds and gabapention and didn't want more pain meds, and I was afraid of losing my mind. He had other concerns along with what I told him. The doctors were concerned about increase in weight which was 50 lbs in the last year because I would eat at the end of day, I ate because I didn't have and didn't want to do anything.

Now I had to go back to pain clinic to get my meds. and this time they made me take ua test, which I did and because thc showed up in test I was told no more pain meds. I showed him doctors note as required by state law and he told me that his DEA number for scripts was a federal number and he wasn't allowed to write percocets due to federal law.

I never wanted this disease or the need to be dependent on pain meds. but to bad for me. I was self employed since 1983 owned and operated a used auto and repair garage. Starting 2008 I needed a total knee replacement which I had done and was laid up 3 months, being self employed I had to close my shop while recovering and when I did go back to work the economy was so bad no one was buying cars. I was limited on what I could do like getting down on ground and walking auctions for cars to buy. I found out that I needed to have my other knee replaced but I needed to try to save my business.I had to get the other knee replaced in jan. 2010. After rehab of 3 months I opened my business again but now it was to late, being out of work and no income I had owed more money that I could never pay back but I tried. The pain i was having and being limited on things that I couldn't do, caused me to lose my business the bank foreclosed on my garage and auctioned it off and to bad for me the bank said. I filed bankruptcy in 2009 hoping it would help me keep my business and also try to save my home where we raised my 4 children where we lived for 25 years.I always paid mybills and mortgage on time. But due to no job and with my wife working part time. I couldn't afford to pay my mortgage and feed, clothe my family. In 2009 I was threatened foreclosure. The first notice I got was Christmas 2009, I called bank and begged them for help and they postponed it for awhile. I then applied SSDI at that time and over time they did threaten to foreclose but I got SSDI and I am very thankful for it. I didn't pay my mortgage for 30 months and the bank gave me a chance for trial loan in 2012 which I paid on time and after tons of paper work and phone calls I got a HAMP loan and a new mortgage and was able to keep my house.
    After all the things I have gone through I very grateful for all the emotional help of family and friends I was able to survive. Now I fell I'm back square one and so mad and frustrated with the medical people, I feel like a junky drug addict by the way my pain clinic treats me.
    If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what I might be able to do would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for rambling on but I"m afraid of complaining to family and causing them more stress and anger.

Last edited by mod85; 08-20-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
    adam87
    (male)

adam87 HB User
    Re: Confused and very upset with pain management

Hi lvp714,
    Im sorry to see that this is a very lousy approach to 'pain management' that you have been treated with... Pain management should be helping you manage your pain, not pumping you with prescription pain meds to just Numb your pain. I wish more people understood this, but Pain is your body's way of signalling to you, that something is wrong, and you need to fix it!! By numbing the pain, you are depriving your body the ability to figure out whats wrong with it, and to help you fix the root cause of the pain!!

You didnt mention in your post what your Knee pain was diagnosed as...
    Is it a nerve pain (like in TN), or is there inflammation in your knees as well (as in joint pain, or arthrithis)
    Did your doctors make you get any bloodwork or tests done?

I have myself been battling with pain, for several years, and have found natural medicines and alternative therapies to be faar more effective in resolving the pain. Modern medicine, i have found, specializes in keeping you coming back for more by making you dependent on medication, rather than attempting to resolve the issue.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
    JRL303
    (male)

JRL303 HB User
    Re: Confused and very upset with pain management

Hi Adam,
    Just wanted to make sure you knew that you replied to a post that is over a year old.

Good reply though!

Reply Reply