It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• peripheral neuropathy and low blood sugar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
    kmesaaz
    (female)

kmesaaz HB User
    peripheral neuropathy and low blood sugar

Sounds like a strang combination, but I am wondering if there is any connection between these two. And while you are reading and thinking, does fibromyalgia have a connection to any of this?

I have been doctoring for 3-4 years and have all kinds of "ists"--an allergist, a neurologist, a podiatrist, a rheumatologist, and I have been seen by a chiropractor, at a pain center and have had acupuncture done. There seems to be no consensus on what is causing my pain.

Fibromyalgia was the first diagnosis, but the neurologist threw up his hands and threw out the results of the nerve conduction test; for two reasons. One--according to him fibromyalgia is not handled by neurologists, and two the technician (not his) who conducted the nerve test did not do it properly.

So, peripheral neuropathy was the next possible diagnosis. But I did not pursue this because I was not happy with the pain center or my neurologist.

Now, I am a new patient at Arrowhead Health Center, and the possibility of diabetes came up due to the pain in my feet. My next apt isn't for two weeks, so I had a friendly RN at a local drugstore do the fingerprick and my score came up a 70.

I began researching low blood sugar, and those symptoms seem more likely than diabetes. Nasty thirst, extreme fatigue, headaches (wake up with them), slurred speech/difficulty with words, clammy, confusion, blurry vision, and the pain. Always the pain.

Problems with my hands and feet began first. Then the pain worsened and woke me up in the middle of the night. Knee pain and hip pain followed (compensation?) Elbow pain, the inability to life my arm above my head at times. The pain is sucking the life right out of me.

Different medications have been prescribed, but they don't touch the pain. My thinking is, if it's not helping then don't take it. Soaking in a hot tub seems to help, so I just purchased one. X rays of my feet, and an MRI of my head, and an MRI of my lower back found nothing.

Anyway, I am preparing for my visit to Arrowhead and would appreciate any input. Questions to ask. Subjects to be brought up. Medications that have helped you.

Last edited by mod85; 08-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
    AL Lymie
    (female)

AL Lymie HB UserAL Lymie HB User
    Re: peripheral neuropathy and low blood sugar

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmesaaz View Post
    Sounds like a strang combination, but I am wondering if there is any connection between these two. And while you are reading and thinking, does fibromyalgia have a connection to any of this?

I have been doctoring for 3-4 years and have all kinds of "ists"--an allergist, a neurologist, a podiatrist, a rheumatologist, and I have been seen by a chiropractor, at a pain center and have had acupuncture done. There seems to be no consensus on what is causing my pain.

Fibromyalgia was the first diagnosis, but the neurologist threw up his hands and threw out the results of the nerve conduction test; for two reasons. One--according to him fibromyalgia is not handled by neurologists, and two the technician (not his) who conducted the nerve test did not do it properly.

So, peripheral neuropathy was the next possible diagnosis. But I did not pursue this because I was not happy with the pain center or my neurologist.

Now, I am a new patient at Arrowhead Health Center, and the possibility of diabetes came up due to the pain in my feet. My next apt isn't for two weeks, so I had a friendly RN at a local drugstore do the fingerprick and my score came up a 70.

I began researching low blood sugar, and those symptoms seem more likely than diabetes. Nasty thirst, extreme fatigue, headaches (wake up with them), slurred speech/difficulty with words, clammy, confusion, blurry vision, and the pain. Always the pain.

Problems with my hands and feet began first. Then the pain worsened and woke me up in the middle of the night. Knee pain and hip pain followed (compensation?) Elbow pain, the inability to life my arm above my head at times. The pain is sucking the life right out of me.

Different medications have been prescribed, but they don't touch the pain. My thinking is, if it's not helping then don't take it. Soaking in a hot tub seems to help, so I just purchased one. X rays of my feet, and an MRI of my head, and an MRI of my lower back found nothing.

Anyway, I am preparing for my visit to Arrowhead and would appreciate any input. Questions to ask. Subjects to be brought up. Medications that have helped you.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
    AL Lymie
    (female)

AL Lymie HB UserAL Lymie HB User
    Re: peripheral neuropathy and low blood sugar

Have you ever been tested for Lyme Disease? You have all the same things I have been going through for many months and I was recently diagnosed with it. It seems I have had it about 3 yrs and didn't know until last week.

Closed Thread

Tags
    fibromyalgia, low blood sugar, peripheral neuropathy