It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neuropathy symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
    Calamity77
    (female)

Calamity77 HB User
    Neuropathy symptoms

Hi,
    I feel like a hypochondriac because I have posted on numerous message boards with so many symptoms and potential diagnosis's by doctors. However, recent developments have led me to identify my problems as neuropathy related. I was diagnosed with radiculopathy in my right leg due to disc herniations but the progression of symptoms have made my neurosurgeon want to undertake further investigations. I wondered if anyone on here can identify with my symptoms which include shooting pains in both legs, stabbing pains in groin, pain in low abdomen, cramping and spasm in legs and feet, numbness in feet, strange sensations, burning feelings and hyper-sensitive to touch. I also have incredible weakness (give-way) in my legs so I need to use a walking stick at the moment. It sounds like neuropathy to me but we do not know the cause.
    Docs are investigating MS and other auto-immune. I already take methotrexate (immune suppressant) to deal with 2 year symptoms of stiffness, joint pain. It has improved the symptoms in my hands and neck. I am taking Lyrica which was initially quite effective on the nerve pain, but is not quite so effective now (3 weeks down the track).

I was wondering, what are the reasons that people develop neuropathy or can it just be a stand alone issue? My step-father was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and the cause was years of heavy drinking. he is in his 70's. I am 43.

thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
    nicelady
    (female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB Usernicelady HB User
    Re: Neuropathy symptoms

I have painful neuropathy in both feet. That started first. I have since been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was first told low B12, which I had could cause neuropathy too. I am. on B12 monthly injections and 900mg 3x day of gabapentin for neuropathy. It helps but does not stop pain completely. I have tried lots of stuff tens machine, low level light therapy nothing resolves pain.

Last edited by nicelady; 08-14-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
    Calamity77
    (female)

Calamity77 HB User
    Re: Neuropathy symptoms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicelady View Post
    I have painful neuropathy in both feet. That started first. I have since been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was first told low B12, which I had could cause neuropathy too. I am. on B12 monthly injections and 900mg 3x day of gabapentin for neuropathy. It helps but does not stop pain completely. I have tried lots of stuff tens machine, low level light therapy nothing resolves pain.
    I shall have to ask my doc for a vitamin B12 test. This seems to be a common trait among those with neuropathy. I am already on vitamin D supplement.

Closed Thread