It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Weight loss with SFN?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
    Kentucky1
    (female)

Kentucky1 HB User
    Weight loss with SFN?

I've been struggling with SFN since 2011. Do not know the cause but is anyone else having issues with unexplained weight loss? My pain continues to get worse and is definitely flared up by stress and physical activity. Any input welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
    Ruby8
    (female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
    Re: Weight loss with SFN?

It may be just a coincidence, but I too have SFN and weight loss. In my research, I've never found any association between the two, and I've never seen a posting on this board by someone with SFN who mentioned weight loss. Perhaps the anxiety associated with having SFN leads to weight loss for some people? Or since dry mouth is often associated with neuropathy, perhaps out taste buds react differently to food. Thanks for your post, and I'll be curious if anyone else can provide input on this topic. - Ruby

Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
    Kentucky1
    (female)

Kentucky1 HB User

Thank you Ruby8 for your reply. I have not heard of anyone else with this issue either that's why I thought I would join here and search. I am new to this site. The funny thing is my weight loss started when I started going back to drinking regular coke and eating more sweets? It's like I was craving it more. Then my dr recently put me on a high protein diet with no carbs or sugar and my body hurts more and my fatigue is worse. I have been under a lot of stress which seems to really flare up my SFN and I have developed a case of bronchitis like overnight? I also am misplacing things and feel like I'm going crazy!!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
    kazar12
    (female)

kazar12 HB User

Hi,

I haven't been diagnosed with any kind of neuropathy yet, but I thought I'd reply because I too have lost a lot of weight since this all started 3 months ago.
    At first I know it was bacause I was worried sick and not eating much, but over the last few weeks I've been making a concerted effort to eat more and the weight still seems to be dropping off.
    I've noticed muscle has also gone, particularly from my thighs and shoulders. I'm very concerned about it as I too haven't read that it's a recognised PN symptom.

Karen

Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
    texas188
    (female)

texas188 HB User

Hi, I was wondering if anyone with weight loss had been tested for celiac disease? From what I have read there seems to be a link between celiac disease and neuropathy - one of the symptoms of undiagnosed celiac disease can be weight loss.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
    Kentucky1
    (female)

Kentucky1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by texas188 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone with weight loss had been tested for celiac disease? From what I have read there seems to be a link between celiac disease and neuropathy - one of the symptoms of undiagnosed celiac disease can be weight loss.
    I have not been tested for celiac disease but I do have a lot of digestive problems. Probably should be tested for it, but right now losing weight is the only plus thing about the SFN. Because when I first started getting my symptoms I had lost a lot of weight going to the gym and eating right. Then I got to where I couldn't exercise so the weight came back on.

Closed Thread