It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Peripheral Neuropathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
    JHTomlinson
    (male)

JHTomlinson HB User
    Peripheral Neuropathy

I am increasingly concerned that taking statins (Simvastatin) has caused peripheral neuropathy. I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight or experience with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
    Mariner403
    (male)

Mariner403 HB UserMariner403 HB User
    Re: Peripheral Neuropathy

The only thing I can offer is that I took Simvastatin for six years after bypass surgery, and then was switched to Atorvastatin for the last three years. The onset of my neuropathic symptoms began just a little over one year ago. I suppose that side effects such as neuropathy could take a long time to develop, but eight years seems an awfully long stretch for a side effect to finally show itself.

For what it's worth, I fully understand the reason for your question, and can assure you you're not alone. Neuropathy isn't a disease in itself, but the product of some underlying disorder. "Idiopathic" is simply a code word for "we can't figure it out", as far as I can tell. The first order of business given by just about every site I've visited (and that now numbers in the hundreds) is always "isolate the causative disorder and treat that (if possible) while treating the symptoms of neuropathy".

However (again, just from what I've read), contraindicated medications are a possibility as an "underlying disorder" for neuropathy, so you seem to be following one path that could turn out to be productive.

Wouldn't it be great if something as simple as just switching from a statin to, say, Lipitor turned out to be a "cure" for your neuropathy? More expensive, but well worth the price!

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Frank

Closed Thread

Tags
    peripheral neuropathy, statins