It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

PN - need Advice/guidance

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Keweenaw
(male)

Keweenaw HB User
PN - need Advice/guidance

Hello All,
Please be patient - I'm little nervous, kinda scared.
I have had advancing PN for 4 years now. (I am 56yrs). Started with small tingling in feet, advanced to feeling like I'm wearing socks, to where I am now, which is lots of tingle in feet and burn on bottom. One of my many Docs believes it comes from my back, as when I do work that involves bending, crouching down, or what is causing my most resent flareup, running a grinder for two days in my garage which vibrated my whole body, I get bad Tingle/burning. He put me on Neurontin 300mg a day.
One important thing to add - for over 25yrs I was grossly overweight, over 400 pds. When I was 44yrs I went on lowCarb diet and lost 180 pds in 16 months. I started running/working out - life was good. But then the PN started about 4 years ago. My blood sugar has always been normal, even when overweight. My A1c's have been 4.9 -5.2 since I lost the weight.
I am wondering if the years of being so overweight have taken their toll on my bones/muscles/nerves, and now I am paying the price for being so overweight. My Family Doc tells me I have already done the best I can do to help myself, which is lose the weight and keep it off. But along with everything else, I suffer from acute Panic attacks/anxiety, for which I am on medication.
I guess what I would like to know is -- What I really need to hear from folks is -- do most of you lead a "normal " life with this?? I mean, as much as possible, are you able to go on vacations, and work, or have a life? Sometimes the fear washes over me like waves crashing a boat, and I feel like my life has surrendered itself.
Please tell me that, even though a challenge, life can still be lived with this.
I am sorry for such a confusing posting. I am not at my best right now.
God bless you all.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
anwis67
(female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User
Re: PN - need Advice/guidance/

Hi. I am happy to say that yes I do all of those things. Some days are better than others. My neuropathy has been stable for 8 years b/c I was able to determine the source of the damage. I still work a 40 hour job and attend events that my children participate in. The key is to find the write combo of medicines(Lyrica and Nortriptyline and a montly B12 shot). This is trial and error and what works for one person may not for others. Nortripyline is a very old antidepressant that also has the ability to help with neuropathy. A key to this disease is to get the rest that you need and have a go to medicine for break through pain. Did they check your B12 levels? Allie

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Keweenaw
(male)

Keweenaw HB User
Re: PN - need Advice/guidance

Dear anwise67,
May God bless you for your response! When I am in the middle of this, the comfort that is given from such a response is immeasurable. Sometimes I see no hope and only doom and gloom--I can only hope that you and the other members of this board can imagine the relief you can give scared newbies with just some kind words of encouragement.
Thanks for the B12 word - yes, I had it checked, Doc says it is normal. Will see another Doc next week -- probably a new MRI will be scheduled.

But most of all, thanks for caring enough to respond. Sometimes a few words of encouragement is worth 400mg of Neurontin.

Hope to hear from others as well!
God Bless!

The following user gives a hug of support to Keweenaw:
anwis67 (03-06-2014)
Closed Thread